The Da Vinci Code

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!

Have you read The Davinci Code?

Yes.
31%
No.
64%
Other.
5%

Total votes: 55

aderyn_du
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by aderyn_du »

The movie is coming out in 2006, as was already pointed out. In fact, the woman in my avatar (Audrey Tautou) will have a role in it. :)
Music melts all the separate parts of our bodies together. ~Anais Nin
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Post by Nanohedron »

Yet more proof that I ride the tachyon express. :D
jsluder

Post by jsluder »

Nanohedron wrote:Yet more proof that I ride the tachyon express. :D
In your DeLorean?
Giles: "We few, we happy few."
Spike: "We band of buggered."
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Post by Nanohedron »

jsluder wrote:
Nanohedron wrote:Yet more proof that I ride the tachyon express. :D
In your DeLorean?
Sometimes it's a Yugo.
chas
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by chas »

I thought it was a fantastic book. Probably the fastest-paced book I've read since Alfred Bester's "The Computer Connection." Yeah, the prose could be a whole bunch better. I read another of his books, and it was pretty good, but really could have been the same book with different names and places inserted.

Right now I'm reading "The Mysteries of Castle Udolpho," the book cited extensively in (I think) Northanger Abbey. It's the opposite -- beautifully written, but REALLY slow-paced.
Charlie
Whorfin Woods
"Our work puts heavy metal where it belongs -- as a music genre and not a pollutant in drinking water." -- Prof Ali Miserez.
emmline

Post by emmline »

Interesting story, conceptually. If I were grading it for quality of prose, it would come in just slightly higher than The Celestine Prophecy, which ain't saying much, but the fact that I bothered to finish them both says something.
I'm with Beowulf, though, on this--it really does read like a movie script. And the characters are pretty flat.
Loren
Tell us something.: You just slip out the back, Jack
Make a new plan, Stan
You don't need to be coy, Roy
Just get yourself free
Hop on the bus, Gus
You don't need to discuss much
Just drop off the key, Lee
And get yourself free

Post by Loren »

Yup, I read it not long after it came out. I thought it could have been a great book, but ended up being just okay. Actually Dan Brown's earlier book "Angels & Demons" was much better, I think. Lots of interesting stuff about the Vatican (and art, of course), particulary in light of the current Pope's condition.

Anyway, if you liked Da Vinci Code, then you'd probably really enjoy Angels & Demons. If you didn't like Da Vinci Code, then you might like Angels & Demons. If you simply don't like books by authors that are now rich, then you won't like either :lol:

Loren
beowulf573
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by beowulf573 »

aderyn_du wrote:The movie is coming out in 2006, as was already pointed out. In fact, the woman in my avatar (Audrey Tautou) will have a role in it. :)
Hmm, now I'm conflicted, I may have to go see the movie if she's in it. :D
Eddie
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. -Groucho Marx
Jack

Post by Jack »

Interesting side note: we are currently split 50% to 50% on the issue. :)

edit: not anymore--somebody's voted "other". :P
seisflutes

Post by seisflutes »

I just read Angels & Demons, been considering reading The Da Vinci Code. Not that I though Angels & Demons was great, but I liked it okay, and it was a page turner. Interesting to read everyone's comments.
chas
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by chas »

Loren wrote:If you simply don't like books by authors that are now rich, then you won't like either :lol:
LOL. It does read like a movie script -- not unlike books by, say, Stephen King or Michael Crichton, both of whom are rich too.

On a side note, my wife and I are almost through a 6-DVD set of BBc productions of Jane Austen books. Her books do NOT read like movie scripts, although if her books were still in copyright and she lived to be 197, she would be rich. Anyway, these movies/miniseries are all over the place. Pride and Prejudice and Northanger Abbey were both fantastic, Sense and Sensitility was atrocious (they wrote the youngest daughter out, for example), and Emma and Persuasion were both soso. How I liked the books and how I liked the movies aren't well correlated.

On a random note, the castle that was Northanger Abbey (!) in a couple of shots was the same castle on the cover of Donovan's Wear Your Love Like Heaven. I actually recognized it immediately, although in my defense I've had the album since I was about 8.
Charlie
Whorfin Woods
"Our work puts heavy metal where it belongs -- as a music genre and not a pollutant in drinking water." -- Prof Ali Miserez.
Charlene

Post by Charlene »

The Da Vinci Code is a very popular book - my husband has a used book store and can't keep up with demand. It's one of the few hardbacks that he will actually accept from people, since it hasn't come out in paperback yet.

I read it just because so many people wanted it. It was ok but nothing great. Maybe if the action had been spread out over a week or so instead of all supposed to be happening within 24 hours, it would have been a tad bit more believable. I suppose we'll see the movie when it gets to video and people start selling the video to my husband (he sells used videos too.) I sure won't spend the money to go see it in the theater.

As for the Series of Unfortunate Events - we all enjoyed the movie. Yes, Jim Carrey overacts as usual but he is perfect as Count Olaf. The youngest child doesn't have a big a role in the movie as she does in the books but the kids in the movie are much better looking than the illustrations in the books. :D My daughter told us that the movie is actually the first 3 books put together, and a few things are different from the books. I just looked at IMDB and it looks like the DVD is coming out in April or May, depending on your location.
Charlene
Lambchop

Post by Lambchop »

Well, surely this dynamic discussion has inspired more than one of you to crave reading the book!

Should that be the case, I'll be happy to send you my near-pristine copy. First person who PMs me gets it . . . no charge. I'll even pay the postage. In the US only, please. (Sorry!)

8)
Cotelette d'Agneau
Jack

Post by Jack »

I PMed ye, Peggy. :)

I'm a free stuff whore.

Speaking of free books, if anybody (in the US) wants a free copy of Learning Irish by Mícheál Ó Siadhhail, I'll be happy to send it to them and I'll pay postage.

I've thought about listing it on eBay for a while but I don't like selling books individually because the listing fees don't justify it.

Here's the book I'm talking about: http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/ ... 32-1279916

It's just the book, not the other stuff.

First person to PM me gets it. :)
Nanohedron
Moderatorer

Post by Nanohedron »

I didn't send you a PM, Cran. :wink: