Start at low D ? ( help this beginner pls )

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
Tyghress
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Tyghress »

PLEASE DON'T USE A DIFFERENT ATTITUDE TO PEOPLE WHO CAN'T SPELL. I hate zat....
I'm not too fond of zats either.

ABOLISH ZATS!
Remember, you didn't get the tiger so it would do what you wanted. You got the tiger to see what it wanted to do. -- Colin McEnroe
Bartleby

Post by Bartleby »

Please don't let this turn into the new It's Sickening thread!
StevieJ
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Old hand, active in the early 2000s. Less active in recent years but still lurking from time to time.

Post by StevieJ »

With regard to lkthomas and the earlier part of the thread...
I wonder whether people are seriously underestimating cultural differences here. "Loss of face" is a very, but very big deal in many parts of the world.

I don't find it hard to understand why he took John's well-meant postings to be a rebuff. In retrospect sending a private message might have been a wiser course of action.

For my part I'm happy to have a new rebuke in my vocabulary. Bloomfield, you are a lamer!

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: StevieJ on 2002-05-02 12:05 ]</font>
amar
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by amar »

Bloomfield(feld) hab gar nicht gewusst dass du deutscher bist, so was! Ist schon seltsam die vielen entries hier alle auf deutsch zu lesen, das passt irgendwie nicht, also ich bin schweizer, so here goes:

I ha hüt "the amazing slowdowner" kauft, isch sau-geil, ächt, de kasch e cd ins laufwärk due, tonlaag und gschwindigkeit noch guet-duenke iistelle, und so d'tunes lerne, isch ächt super, i bi begeischteret!

Translation: I got the full version of the amazing slow-downer. It's cool.
Cheers, amar.
claudine
Tell us something.: Hi, I am a choir singer from Luxembourg trying to get back to Irish flute playing after a few years of absence from ITM.

Post by claudine »

... and the winner is: amar!
Tyghress

Post by Tyghress »

On 2002-05-02 11:58, Bartleby wrote:
Please don't let this turn into the new It's Sickening thread!
Bartleby, the only way to kill a thread is to not participate. If you want to keep it going, criticism is the absolute best way to get others to respond.
Remember, you didn't get the tiger so it would do what you wanted. You got the tiger to see what it wanted to do. -- Colin McEnroe
ndjr

Post by ndjr »

On 2002-05-02 12:05, StevieJ wrote in response to me:
I wonder whether people are seriously underestimating cultural differences here. "Loss of face" is a very, but very big deal in many parts of the world.
True, but he'd ventured into the English-speaking part of it and of his own free will. Even people with a rudimentary command of English learn early that use of the celebrated F-word is at least profoundly vulgar. Any way you cut it, his response was outrageous and unjustified.
I don't find it hard to understand why he took John's well-meant postings to be a rebuff. In retrospect sending a private message might have been a wiser course of action.
I disagree. He came to an English-based message board and attempted to use the language in a way that those trying to help him found incomprehensible. Quite reasonably, one or more of his correspondents asked that he clarify his comments and/or get some help in framing his questions <i>so that they could help him</i>, and this he escalated immediately into an international incident. No-one who tried to help him did anything wrong, let alone that even more heinous of modern transgressions: <i>Inappropriate</i>.

My perspective is based in part on years ( 20+, to be more accurate ) of experience in dealing with students from all parts of the Orient, including Japan, Taiwan, and Mainland China. <i><b>Never</b></i> have I seen anything like this kind of behavior from any of them, even though their English skills might be very poor, when offered help with the language.

BTW, I'm not in "nemesis" mode here, StevieJ. This is just a friendly chat. :grin:

Edited to fix a spelling error.

Best regards,

Neil Dickey

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: ndjr on 2002-05-02 13:53 ]</font>
mike.r

Post by mike.r »

On 2002-04-30 20:25, lkthomas wrote:
brownja, the offence person is you, not me, this board is discuss flute and something like that, not blame people's english. How about I goto compare your english with my english teacher ? you better can (bleep) off then...
I want to talking with talent people, not a lamer that look like you, do you (bleep) understand ? you too, dd
I think this is not so bad when one considers the frequent usage of the F word these days in films and rap music and casual conversation.In Australia,telling someone to feck off is not always meant as an insult and is not always taken as one.The usage here,to put someone in their place for drawing attention to ones less then perfect but perfectly understandable English in this case is fair enough.I do love the word lamer which I guess is slang for dickhead or lame-brain, although I,m not sure why dd was caught in the crossfire since he or she approved of Ikthomas,s English. :smile: Peace, Mike
Bloomfield

Post by Bloomfield »

I've always wondered how someone would speak whose only access to spoken English was, say, Sylvester Stalone movies...
/Bloomfield
The Weekenders

Post by The Weekenders »

On 2002-05-02 13:31, tyghress wrote:
Bartleby, the only way to kill a thread is to not participate.
Dear Tyghress: I humbly disagree. For reasons I am not sure of (and for self-esteem sake, don't even want to know), I have killed or been second to last on about six threads in the last two weeks. I am only lurking now here but as a public service I take leave from my retirement to end this madness:
you guys are getting taken for a ride somehow. Something is fishy about this whole exchange and your generosity and goodwill are being stretched a lot....

Newcomers can always search the archives for great advice. Spent about an hour reading from page 62 forward the other night. Found out, among other things, why Mike Burke doesn;t answer my emails, what some of you really think about Mary Bergin, average frequency of threads about rolls, commercial policies etc etc. Any newcomer (including original poster) can benefit greatly, without engaging members in offensive exchanges. You guys are allright and plenty of people speak English in Asia. Period.

RIP

From an armchair in the multi-cultural Pacific Rim,
The Weekenders
Jo C

Post by Jo C »

It would actually be quite interesting to know how many languages were spoken by all the people on this board though. Dw'in gallu siarad gymraeg (wel, dw'in dysgu llawer o gymraeg bob dydd). I'd also be interested to know if anyone actually manages to translate that (anyone outside of Wales, that is).
Hwyl,
Jo.
Tyghress

Post by Tyghress »

On 2002-05-02 17:49, Jo C wrote:Dw'in gallu siarad gymraeg (wel, dw'in dysgu llawer o gymraeg bob dydd). I'd also be interested to know if anyone actually manages to translate that.
TRANSLATE it? Heavens, you know we can't even PRONOUNCE it!

Meanwhile. . .The Weekenders has spoken, so THIS thread is about to die an ignoble death. . .someone play Amazing Grace, or Taps, or something. I'm going to find a Welsh/American dictionary.

Tyghress. . .
Monolingual Feline
Jo C

Post by Jo C »

good luck!
phonetically, something like
doo-ween gathlee sha-rad gum-raig (well, doo-ween dus-gee thl-ow-er o gum-raig bob deeth (soft 'th' like the))
ndjr

Post by ndjr »

Reports of the death of this thread may have been greatly exaggerated. :wink:

On 2002-05-02 15:47, mike.r wrote:
I think this is not so bad when one considers the frequent usage of the F word these days in films and rap music and casual conversation.
We disagree, Mike. This guy went out of his way to be offensive, and he knew what he was doing. Weekenders is right.

Bloomfield, I think that lkthomas is <i><b>far</b></i> too eloquent to have learned his English from Sly Stallion. :grin:

Edited to fix a typo.

Neil Dickey

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: ndjr on 2002-05-02 18:08 ]</font>
lkthomas

Post by lkthomas »

well, after I saw a lot of people of reply, I do not want to comment in this thread anymore.
but I saw a lot of people are REALLY using different attuide to treat non-english peoples.
I am not using chinese to post, because I RESPECT your guys only know english.
What is german guys ?!? after this, I saw german people are really have no spect that post using german.
I don't care someone who do not respect me AT ALL.
same as my post, if people treat me nice, nothing will happen.

this is my last reply for this threads.
again, I feel really upset that have such kind of german in the world, I am looking down to the whole german anyway. I am sorry about that...