a few thoughts on chocolate

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
Walden
Chiffmaster General
antispam: No

a few thoughts on chocolate

Post by Walden »

Don't get me wrong, I like Hershey's chocolate. I've had chocolate from sundry parts of the world, Belgium, the UK, Singapore, Australia, Philippines, etc. Hershey's chocolate, IMO, isn't bad, in fact, I consider it far better than many chocolates. I've no interest in food snobbery, etc.

Anyway, the point of my post... I wish Hershey didn't have the USA rights to Cadbury. When I was a child, here in America, we used to eat the Fruit & Nut bar and the Caramello, when they came from England. Today, in the USA, these products are made by Hershey, and, while better than the Cadbury licenses in some parts of the world, I don't think they measure up to the ones from England (same can be said of Hershey's Rowntree license). Not only that, since Hershey got hold of the Cadbury rights, they still import the eggs from England, but they are no longer kept in good shape... always sticky or even dried out.

Just thought I'd mention it... before Easter is past.
Reasonable person
Walden
aderyn_du
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Re: a few thoughts on chocolate

Post by aderyn_du »

Walden wrote:Don't get me wrong, I like Hershey's chocolate. I've had chocolate from sundry parts of the world, Belgium, the UK, Singapore, Australia, Philippines, etc. Hershey's chocolate, IMO, isn't bad, in fact, I consider it far better than many chocolates. I've no interest in food snobbery, etc.

Anyway, the point of my post... I wish Hershey didn't have the USA rights to Cadbury. When I was a child, we used to eat the Fruit & Nut bar and the Caramello, when they came from England. Today, in the USA, these products are made by Hershey, and, while better than the Cadbury licenses in some parts of the world, I don't think they measure up to the ones from England (same can be said of Hershey's Rowntree license). Not only that, since Hershey got hold of the Cadbury rights, they still import the eggs from England, but they are no longer kept in good shape... always sticky or even dried out.

Just thought I'd mention it... before Easter is past.
It's funny you should bring this up, Walden-- I'm glad you did because it solves a puzzle for me.

As a child I absolutely LOVED the Fruit & Nut bars, they were one of my favorite candy bars. A couple months ago, I got a huge craving to have one again (it had been years and years), and was so excited to see one at the grocery store while I was doing my shopping. I bought a bar and couldn't wait to get home so that I could sit down and savor it.... I took a bite, ready for my taste buds to dance in glee...and....it tasted really blecchy. Not at all like I remembered.

Now I know why. ::le sigh::
Music melts all the separate parts of our bodies together. ~Anais Nin
Darwin
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Darwin »

I used to be a big Hershey's fan, but hadn't had much chocolate at all over the past several years. While I was staying with my younger son back in January, my daughter-in-law bought an entire box of Hershey's milk chocolate bars, and I tried to consume my fair shair. Oddly enough, they just didn't appeal to me. I didn't care for either the flavor or the texture.

To be fair, I should probably go out and get samples of as many other brands as possible and do a taste comparison. Just to be fair, you understand...
Mike Wright

"When an idea is wanting, a word can always be found to take its place."
 --Goethe
izzarina

Post by izzarina »

I've always loved Caramello bars too, but had the same experience that ad did. I still can eat them, but they're not nearly as good as they used to be. Oh for the good old days! SIGH!!!
Someday, everything is gonna be diff'rent
When I paint my masterpiece.
Redwolf
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by Redwolf »

I didn't realize just how big the difference was until a friend from Wales sent me some Cadbury goodies in a care package. Mercy! I'm going to have to take an extra suitcase to England to bring back all the chocolate I plan to buy!

Redwolf
...agus déanfaidh mé do mholadh ar an gcruit a Dhia, a Dhia liom!
aderyn_du

Post by aderyn_du »

Red, can I borrow your friend from Wales??? ;) :D
Music melts all the separate parts of our bodies together. ~Anais Nin
BillChin

Post by BillChin »

I recently worked at See's Candies as a seasonal employee at one of their offices (not a store). One of the benefits is all the chocolate you can eat, as long as you eat it in the lunch room. See's is mostly in the western states, but also does mail order. I gained more of an appreciated for their candy and philosophy during my time there. See's uses the freshest natural ingredients and no preservatives. See's is expensive compared to some other store brands, but less money than most other no-preservative brands.

If this sounds like an ad, I no longer work there. A few people find See's to be too sweet. I still crave chocolate to my detriment. I can't justify the $13+ per pound price of See's despite the quality, so I make do with what I can find on sale. Often times that is Reese's peanut butter cups.
+ Bill
LisaD

Re: a few thoughts on chocolate

Post by LisaD »

Walden wrote:Today, in the USA, these products are made by Hershey, and, while better than the Cadbury licenses in some parts of the world, I don't think they measure up to the ones from England (same can be said of Hershey's Rowntree license).
I agree! Even under Hershey's, the Cadbury chocolate is still my favorite, but not as good as the real thing. When I was growing up, we would occasionally get the Cadbury Quality Street assorted chocolates ... mmmmm. (Then there were Liquorice Allsorts, Rowntree Fruit Gums .... )
GaryKelly

Post by GaryKelly »

Cadbury's Dairy Milk: A glass and a half of milk in every bar.
"Everyone's a fruit and nut case..."
Topic: A hazelnut in every bite!
Smooth and creamy...Galaxy.

Our cheese is better'n yours too. :)
Image "It might be a bit better to tune to one of my fiddle's open strings, like A, rather than asking me for an F#." - Martin Milner
Flyingcursor
Tell us something.: This is the first sentence. This is the second of the recommended sentences intended to thwart spam its. This is a third, bonus sentence!

Post by Flyingcursor »

Regarding the "off the shelf" common candy bar, what is everyone's favorite? Mine is Zero followed by Dove dark.
I'm no longer trying a new posting paradigm
GaryKelly

Post by GaryKelly »

Bournville, closely followed by Caramac.
Image "It might be a bit better to tune to one of my fiddle's open strings, like A, rather than asking me for an F#." - Martin Milner
emmline

Post by emmline »

Flyingcursor wrote:Regarding the "off the shelf" common candy bar, what is everyone's favorite? Mine is Zero followed by Dove dark.
Off which shelf? Depending on the answer to that, it would be Ritter Sport.
More widely available, probably Hershey with almonds.
Flyingcursor
Tell us something.: This is the first sentence. This is the second of the recommended sentences intended to thwart spam its. This is a third, bonus sentence!

Post by Flyingcursor »

emmline wrote:
Flyingcursor wrote:Regarding the "off the shelf" common candy bar, what is everyone's favorite? Mine is Zero followed by Dove dark.
Off which shelf? Depending on the answer to that, it would be Ritter Sport.
More widely available, probably Hershey with almonds.
The checkout line shelf.
I'm no longer trying a new posting paradigm
emmline

Post by emmline »

Flyingcursor wrote: The checkout line shelf.
Then I stand by my first answer, but only if I'm at Trader Joe's.
Walden
Chiffmaster General

Post by Walden »

GaryKelly wrote:Our cheese is better'n yours too. :)
I like longhorn cheese, which is a variety of Wisconsin Colby cheese..
Last edited by Walden on Mon Mar 21, 2005 7:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reasonable person
Walden