STORM TROOPERS AT AIRPORTS - Identify the whistle, please

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
billw
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

STORM TROOPERS AT AIRPORTS - Identify the whistle, please

Post by billw »

I am disgusted and appalled at certain attitudes in our government, yet again. Please have a read here:
http://www.gonemissing.us/indiainstruments.html

If you know what you're looking at (the names), please PM me.

If you know how to get these jackasses fired, let me know.

Thanks,
Bill Whedon
Ye Olde Whistlesmith Saying:
A whistle without a fipple, is just a piece of leaky pipe!

Click the WWW and come have some fun with poems and music and now BOOKS! and check out the preeeety whistles and the T-shirts with attitude! :D
Loren
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: You just slip out the back, Jack
Make a new plan, Stan
You don't need to be coy, Roy
Just get yourself free
Hop on the bus, Gus
You don't need to discuss much
Just drop off the key, Lee
And get yourself free

Post by Loren »

Bill wrote (in the linked note):

"Apparently, the "TSA", which I have never even heard of......."

You can't be serious bill :-? Does the date 9/11 mean anything to you?

Loren
glauber

Post by glauber »

Yes, September 11, 2001 was a sad day for the USA; it was the day George Bush got re-ellected.

As for what they are, the top one is obviously a bong. The brass one looks like a pennywhistle (a kind of American fipple flute that costs, in average, about ten thousand pennies).

g
Last edited by glauber on Sun Mar 20, 2005 3:13 pm, edited 2 times in total.
On the Internet, nobody knows you're a dog!
--Wellsprings--
Trad_A_Non

Post by Trad_A_Non »

Bill:
If you know what you're looking at (the names), please PM me.
You might want to try the "Lark in the Morning" website. Their catalogue is on-line, and it's quite extensive. If you don't find examples therein, they doubtless don't actually exist.

Here 'tis: http://larkinthemorning.com

It looks to me like they came from somewhere near India.

Bill again:
If you know how to get these jackasses fired, let me know.
Sorry, Bill, can't help with that.
Trad A. Non
bjs

Post by bjs »

I brought one of those back from India. The extra tube is a drone. Mine leaks so doesn't play to well. Would like to know more about it too.

Brian
ChrisA

Post by ChrisA »

You might actually be able to file a claim against the airport, or the TSA, or both, in this
case, though you shouldn't expect it to go smoothly. It'd be small claims court, though,
probably, so there's the added satisfaction of no lawyers... the responsible parties have
to show up themselves, ie, the agents in question, their boss, the manager of the airport,
whoever it is that they claim is responsible for the decision.

There's a fellow out California-way who's suing them for not letting them fly without a
photo I.D. ... his point, essentially is, that nobody can show him any law saying he's required
to show a photo I.D., therefore they're doing it arbitrarily. (They actually claim there is a law,
but that they can't show him because there's another law saying they can't show him... but
they can't show him -that- law either.) I can't remember his name, but he's got a certain
amount of fame in certain circles.

Anyway, I've never taken an instrument onto a flight for just this reason. I do make sure
to bury my flutes and whistles as near to the center of my suitcase as I can, as they may
need the extra cushioning for the other set of airport hazards, but I always figured they
would do something stupid. Actually I figured they'd just confiscate it as a hazard. Sure,
it sounds stupid, but then, they confiscate -fingernail clippers- so go figure. I've heard
some people have flown with whistles successfully, but I don't risk it, because there is
-no- concrete set of rules about what's allowed or not.

(You -are- allowed to keep your property, though. You can always say, "Okay, I'll not go
through the gate then", go back to the airline counter, and ask for them to bring you
back your suitcase to put your whistle or whatever in. This may involve missing your flight
and going on the next one, though, and other hassles, but if either the property or the
point is valuable enough to you, you can do this. If everyone did for every non-illegal item
'confiscated', it'd put a serious dent in their absurdly high count for confiscated
'potentially dangerous items'.)

And yes, the whole thing is f---ing stupid. They do many things that create hassles without
increasing security, and skip many important things that would create security with hassles
(but would cost money). They do, at least, seem to also be doing things to increase security
without increasing hassle, but that's less visible.

--Chris
Wanderer
Tell us something.: I've like been here forever ;)
But I guess you gotta filter out the spambots.
100 characters? Geeze.

Post by Wanderer »

I just carry a copy of this: Letter from TSA Assistant Administrator for Security Regulation and Policy. Someone posted it here a while back.

Though I've never actually needed it, it states that as of 12/20/2002, musical instruments are allowed as carry-on in addition to the one bag & 1 personal item limit. Feel free to snag and print your own copy.
TooTs

Post by TooTs »

Does that work for a double bass? :boggle:
Lambchop

Post by Lambchop »

Anyway, I've never taken an instrument onto a flight for just this reason. I do make sure
to bury my flutes and whistles as near to the center of my suitcase as I can, as they may
need the extra cushioning for the other set of airport hazards, but I always figured they
would do something stupid.

My experience in January indicates that this might not be such a good idea.

Fearing for my flute's life, I brought only an aluminum D whistle. It was in my shoulder bag. The bag went through the x-ray with utter disinterest.

My suitase was something else again. Because I had a number of large, thick medical books to carry, I had arranged them as instructed by the TSA website. Because of the books, I expected them to search my luggage. Everything was neatly packed so that it could be easily seen all the way down to the bottom just by opening the suitcase. Everything was neatly strapped in and zipped. The books were on top of my clothes, which were very neatly folded inside one another. In one mesh side pocket, I had instant oatmeal, dried fruit, and tea. In the other mesh side pocket, I had unmentionables. All neatly folded. All the loose bits were in ziploc bags.

They ravaged that suitcase. Except for the books and the clothing beneath which they had not searched, as it was still neatly folded and strapped down in the exact same position. The books hadn't been opened at all. The tie-downs were still folded exactly as I had done them.

The remainder of the interior of the suicase was a tornadic mess of loose stuff. Like it had been dumped out and blown back in. The remaining straps were undone, the zippers open, ziploc bags open, and packages of oatmeal and tea bags everywhere. The worst was that they had taken all my unmentionables out of the side pocket and went through them individually, flinging them randomly about in the suitcase. One pair under here, another under there. They bent the underwires, and that was clearly intentional.

I have no doubt that an instrument in there would have been demolished.
Cotelette d'Agneau
billw

Post by billw »

Loren wrote:Bill wrote (in the linked note):

"Apparently, the "TSA", which I have never even heard of......."

You can't be serious bill :-? Does the date 9/11 mean anything to you?

Loren
Actually, Loren, I haven't been anywhere by air since 9/11 incident. This situation was run into by a friend of mine who brought the instruments back from India as gifts for me. The instruments were in his luggage, locked in with TSA locks, which were subsequently opened with their TSA keys, and the result was the utterly stupid and senseless damage wrought by these cretins.

Just looking at them, it is quite evident that the intent was not to search, but to damage. My friend is kind of a "Casper Milquetoast" sort, who wouldn't cause a stink if they'd dumped his suitcases on the floor and jumped up and down on the contents (which was apparently pretty close to what they did with that little whistle). I'm afraid I'd have been in jail, had it been me on that flight.

And anyhow, this isn't about me knowing or not knowing the names of all of the assorted government entities engendered by the rather short-sighted and ignorant approach the Bush regime takes to security. It is about willful damage of the property of an American Citizen by those who are supposed to be protecting us. They have become the very terrorists it is their job to prevent from acting.

And it sucks.

Bill Whedon
Serpent Music
Ye Olde Whistlesmith Saying:
A whistle without a fipple, is just a piece of leaky pipe!

Click the WWW and come have some fun with poems and music and now BOOKS! and check out the preeeety whistles and the T-shirts with attitude! :D
glauber

Post by glauber »

TooTs wrote:Does that work for a double bass? :boggle:
Yes, but you'd have to buy an extra ticket for it to be sure, because it wouldn't fit in the carry-on compartments.
On the Internet, nobody knows you're a dog!
--Wellsprings--
anniemcu
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10
Location: A little left of center, and 100 miles from St. Louis

Post by anniemcu »

billw wrote:...Just looking at them, it is quite evident that the intent was not to search, but to damage. My friend is kind of a "Casper Milquetoast" sort, who wouldn't cause a stink if they'd dumped his suitcases on the floor and jumped up and down on the contents (which was apparently pretty close to what they did with that little whistle). I'm afraid I'd have been in jail, had it been me on that flight.

And anyhow, this isn't about me knowing or not knowing the names of all of the assorted government entities engendered by the rather short-sighted and ignorant approach the Bush regime takes to security. It is about willful damage of the property of an American Citizen by those who are supposed to be protecting us. They have become the very terrorists it is their job to prevent from acting.

And it sucks.

Bill Whedon
Serpent Music
Yes, Bill, it sucks. I'm sorry that your friend, and your gifts had to experience this incredibly rude attack. Hope you both recover damages and that the actual damagers get held respsonsible... but I'm thinking we're not likely to see that happen.

Good luck!!
anniemcu
---
"You are what you do, not what you claim to believe." -Gene A. Statler
---
"Olé to you, none-the-less!" - Elizabeth Gilbert
---
http://www.sassafrassgrove.com
vomitbunny

Post by vomitbunny »

glauber wrote:Yes, September 11, 2001 was a sad day for the USA; it was the day George Bush got re-ellected.

As for what they are, the top one is obviously a bong. The brass one looks like a pennywhistle (a kind of American fipple flute that costs, in average, about ten thousand pennies).

g
I think probably both are obiously bongs. They probably went together somehow to make a double bong or something. The bottom part is probably for little bittly kids. They did right by killing it. Terrist are, like, evil.
My opinion is stupid and wrong.
benbrad

Airport Insecurity

Post by benbrad »

You got me started so here goes . . . What really angers me about this whole airport farse is all the measures the current administration wants the airports and the travelers to take while our borders are left wide open. So far over 3 million people have walked across the mexican border to take our jobs and enjoy benefits that belong to US tax payers. GRRRRRRR . . .
Ben
Lambchop

Post by Lambchop »

billw wrote:Actually, Loren, I haven't been anywhere by air since 9/11 incident. This situation was run into by a friend of mine who brought the instruments back from India as gifts for me. The instruments were in his luggage, locked in with TSA locks, which were subsequently opened with their TSA keys, and the result was the utterly stupid and senseless damage wrought by these cretins.

Just looking at them, it is quite evident that the intent was not to search, but to damage.

Exactly! Thankyouverymuch! It was IN the luggage. Just like my bent unmentionables. Intentional destruction.

Bill, as I recall, there is a way to file a claim for things like this. Or at least a complaint. If you rummage about on the TSA webpages, you should find it.

While you might not be able to get compensated for it, you can still have the satisfaction of complaining. Complain to everybody up the line from where you think it happened. Do so in a cool and noninflammatory manner.

Be sure to remember the magic words for dealing with government workers everywhere . . . "I'm going to complain to my congressman." And do so. This amazing technique works wonders because no federal employee wants to have to answer a congressional inquiry--they're annoying and time-consuming, whether they're founded or unfounded. Even if you don't get any personal benefit from it, you still have the satisfaction of knowing you've caused that miserable little *!#@%$* and his supervisor and HIS supervisor, ad nauseam, as much aggravation as they caused you. There's hours of enjoyment in it, believe me. 8)