Michael Burk Whistles - Which is Best ???

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
benbrad
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Michael Burk Whistles - Which is Best ???

Post by benbrad »

I really would like to order a Michael Burk soprano D whistle but I want to ask you guys in-the-know about it before I do. Aluminum or Brass ??? What are your thoughts and opinions pro and con? Thanks for your help in advance.
Ben
FJohnSharp
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I used to be a regular then I took up the bassoon. Bassoons don't have a lot of chiff. Not really, I have always been a drummer, and my C&F years were when I was a little tired of the drums. Now I'm back playing drums. I mist the C&F years, though.

Post by FJohnSharp »

Both are equally good. I have brass and love it. Aluminum is a little lighter in weight. Some say it's a tad more responsive and brighter.

My next will be a aluminum something or other. Maybe Bb. Or C. Or maybe a narrow bore D.
"Meon an phobail a thogail trid an chultur"
(The people’s spirit is raised through culture)

Suburban Symphony
raindog1970
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by raindog1970 »

I prefer the aluminum Burkes because of their lighter weight, and because they don't tarnish like brass.
In regards to tone and playability, there is very little difference between brass and aluminum.
Last edited by raindog1970 on Sat Mar 19, 2005 9:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Regards,
Gary Humphrey

♪♣♫Humphrey Whistles♫♣♪

[Raindogs] The ones you see wanderin' around after a rain. Ones that can't find their way back home. See the rain washes off the scent off all the mail boxes and the lamposts, fire hydrants. – Tom Waits
KDMARTINKY

Post by KDMARTINKY »

I also prefer the Aluminum for its weight and balance qualities. Like I mentioned on another thread. I purchased a Burke Low A from a board member and really like it a lot.
Keith

Bionn dha insint ar sceal agus leagon deag ar amhran
There are two versions of every story and twelve of every song
Cynth

Post by Cynth »

Could someone explain how the narrow bore is different than the larger bore (other than in diameter :lol: )? Why might you pick one over the other?
cowtime

Post by cowtime »

I bought a Brass Pro Sessions whistle three years ago and it is still my favorite.
"Let low-country intruder approach a cove
And eyes as gray as icicle fangs measure stranger
For size, honesty, and intent."
John Foster West
eskin

Post by eskin »

All of my higher pitch Burkes are brass Session Pro instruments. I don't like aluminum for a high D whistle, it tends to move around in pitch too much as the temperature changes, brass seems more stable, at least in my experience.
PhilO

Post by PhilO »

Brass black tip is my favorite, bar none.

Philo
"This is this; this ain't something else. This is this." - Robert DeNiro, "The Deer Hunter," 1978.
Duffy

Post by Duffy »

I've had my brass pro session for two years now. Its the only high end whistle I have and I've had no reason to seriously look for anything else. I tried both aluminum and brass before I purchased and fell in love with the brass. Sorry I can't give a bunch of technical reasons, just like the way it sounds, feels, and even like the tarnish.
alespa
Tell us something.: Music has been a part of my life for as long as I can remember. Part of what I love about celtic/folk style music is the sound of a handful of handmade instruments that remind me of simpler times.

Post by alespa »

Of the Burkes, I have played an Al Pro G (alto) and own a DBSBT, the high D Brass Session with Black delrin Tip. I liked both, and had posted a poll here weeks ago, and you might want to look at some of our members comments. I like the brass myself, and am glad I bought it :)

I certainly don't mind the tarnishing. In a way, there's something nice about it.

matt
There's no such thing as a stranger, just friends we have not yet met.
dapple

Post by dapple »

I prefer the aluminum Burkes because of their lighter weight, and because they don't tarnish like brass.
In regards to tone and playability, there is very little difference between brass and aluminum.
So, Gary, do you think that someday you will make aluminum-barreled whistles?
~ David
Bretton
Tell us something.: I've been playing whistle for a very long time, but never seem to get any better than I was about 10 years ago. I'm okay with that. :)

Post by Bretton »

I like the brass...I like the tarnish, the weight, the feel, the color...
I just don't get too excited by aluminium...

-Brett
Ridseard

Post by Ridseard »

Cynth wrote:Could someone explain how the narrow bore is different than the larger bore (other than in diameter :lol: )? Why might you pick one over the other?
My Brass NB takes less air and is a little quieter than my Brass Session. Otherwise, they are very similar in response and tone quality.
At night, in those corners of our minds we deny by day, magical things can happen in the moon shadows. And if they can't, a) they should, and b) we should always in any event act as if they can. --Roger Ebert
Cynth

Post by Cynth »

Thank you Ridseard---that was a real puzzlement for me.
Darwin

Post by Darwin »

My narrow-bore aluminum high D (DAN black tip), is probably my favorite out of 20 high Ds that I've owned so far. I also have a brass wide-bore C that I like a lot. The C has a somewhat less pure sound, but plays about the same as the D. With material, bore, and key all different, it's impossible to pin down the reason for the difference in sound to a single factor.
Mike Wright

"When an idea is wanting, a word can always be found to take its place."
 --Goethe