need advice on buying a set

A forum about Uilleann (Irish) pipes and the surly people who play them.
jdevereux
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

need advice on buying a set

Post by jdevereux »

Hey everybody,
I have been playing on a horible old practice set for about four years, and have been thinking about buying a new half or three quarter set. I am looking for a chanter with that very nasal, loud sound; the one that brought us all to the pipes in the first place. There seem to be alot of chanters that sound like saxophones out there, and was wondering if anybody knew of a maker whose pipes didn't. Of course, Dave Williams, Dave Quinn and all the Rowsome pipes have this quality, but I was hoping for something a little easier to obtain and cheaper (I'm 15, so there's not much cash to be thrown around). Any advice would be greatly appriciated.
thanks,
Jack Devereux
anima

Post by anima »

what's your price range? Are you parents willing to chip in some money too?
jdevereux

Post by jdevereux »

I am not as penny-less as some folks my age (I have a stedy stream of gigs for the fiddle and flute) so I could proably handle most makers prices, just nothing astronomical.
Patrick D'Arcy
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by Patrick D'Arcy »

Maybe this set would interst you?

http://www.uilleannobsession.com/classifieds.html#1

All the best,

Patrick.
Tony
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I used to play pipes about 20 years ago and suddenly abducted by aliens.
Not sure why... but it's 2022 and I'm mysteriously baack...

Post by Tony »

Patruck, be nice.
jdevereux

Post by jdevereux »

I would kill for that set, but 10,000 euro?
jdevereux

Post by jdevereux »

I have been looking about at various websights, and came upon David Boisvert's pipes. I have never played one of his sets, and was wondering if they're any good. Also, does anybody have contact information for David Quinn, or any idea how long his waiting list is?
thanks,
Jack
NicoMoreno
Tell us something.: I just wanted to update my location... 100 characters is a lot and I don't really want to type so much just to edit my profile...

Post by NicoMoreno »

You can't get a set from David Quinn, so don't worry about it.

I have heard good things about David Boisvert (Greenwood pipes). Florida Joe has a set from him.

I am getting a Joe Kennedy half set. I don't know about the "nasal sound" you want, but I think Joe's D sets sound more like "flat pipes" than others.

Try Seth Gallagher, lot's of people have his sets and seem to like them, plus, from I have heard the waiting list is short.
Patrick D'Arcy
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by Patrick D'Arcy »

Tony wrote:Patrick, be nice.
I am being nice. It's an incredible set! This is the type of set that would bring anyone a lifetime of pleasure.

Also, the price has been reduced to €8,000.

All the best,

Patrick.
Last edited by Patrick D'Arcy on Sun Mar 20, 2005 3:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tony
Tell us something.: I used to play pipes about 20 years ago and suddenly abducted by aliens.
Not sure why... but it's 2022 and I'm mysteriously baack...

Post by Tony »

Jack,
Contact Patrick Sky in Chapel Hill, he's probably a 2 hour ride from you and can give you lots of important information. His website is:
http://www.patricksky.com/
Joseph E. Smith

Post by Joseph E. Smith »

Dave Boisvert does great work... you can't go wrong with him.
TnWhistler

Post by TnWhistler »

Jack,

I also live in the area (Bristol, TN) and am looking at buying a half set. I might go see Pat Sky, I e-mailed him about going over and have not heard back yet.

Do you know Duncan Wickel, he used to play with the band I play with, Sigean. Do you go to the session at the Jack in the Wood? I've been there twice with Zac Leger.

Let me know what you find out about sets.

Timmy
jdevereux

Post by jdevereux »

Tony: I've known Pat for a while, and I've got some reeds by him. I've played some of his pipes, and though they are nice, they're not exactly what I'm looking for.

TnWhistler: I know both Zac and Duncan and was in Jack of the Wood 'till the wee hours last night. Those two clowns are the reason I play the pipes, and I play mostly components lent to me by them.

Another thing, I have heard that EJ Jones is making some pipes (uilleann and scottish smallpipes), and that he's moving to Asheville later this year. I have never played one of his sets, but I have heard great things about them. Does anybody know EJ's work?

Thanks,
Jack

Oh, I must include an anicdote: I come from a family of pipers, neither of my parents play, but several older cousins did (they've all died now). One in particular sudied for many years under Rowsome, and had a full set by Rowsome. He died literally months before I started playing the pipes, and his son sold them. I get a tear in my eye every time I think about that.
Joseph E. Smith

Post by Joseph E. Smith »

jdevereux wrote: I come from a family of pipers, neither of my parents play, but several older cousins did (they've all died now). One in particular sudied for many years under Rowsome, and had a full set by Rowsome. He died literally months before I started playing the pipes, and his son sold them. I get a tear in my eye every time I think about that.
You have successfully 'bummed me out', and I think I will remain that way for at least a week. Talk about harsh.... man. :sniffle:
Reepicheep

Post by Reepicheep »

I come from a family of pipers, neither of my parents play, but several older cousins did (they've all died now). One in particular sudied for many years under Rowsome, and had a full set by Rowsome. He died literally months before I started playing the pipes, and his son sold them. I get a tear in my eye every time I think about that.
For the Love of God, Montressor! He should have at least kept the set in the family!

In our family is a pocket watch. It was given as a party favor to one of my ancestors by the Earl of Portsmouth, England. It is inscribed and includes the date of the party, December 16, 1773. Points if you know what date that is. Anyway, the last we heard it got pawned by a 3rd cousin. Egad, just thinking about it makes me want to eat nails!

... sorry, I digressed...
"... when I can swim no longer, if I have not reached Aslan's country, or shot over the edge of the world in some vast cataract, I shall sink with my nose to the sunrise..."