Oh, those Irish flutes!

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
Band Nerd
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Oh, those Irish flutes!

Post by Band Nerd »

Does anyone know if there are any Irish flute websites where the flutes aren't so EXPENSIVE? Almost everytime I see a Irish flute I want and like, I am turned away by the price. :cry: I really want one, but I don't want to get crazy with the prices.

Thanks a lot!
Collin
eskin

Post by eskin »

Sure, you can get a very nice PVC flute from Doug Tipple for way less than $100:

http://home.earthlink.net/~life2all/dougswebspace/

I do a lot of testing of Doug's prototype flutes as well as his production models and they really are wonderful instruments for a new player.
Band Nerd

Post by Band Nerd »

Wow! Those really are inexpensive! :lol: Do they sound pretty good? I couldn't come across any sound samples.
andrewK

Post by andrewK »

I feel the same about Matisse paintings, but have not yet foung a cheap source.
Doc Jones
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by Doc Jones »

I don't know what your price range is but you can get a very nice wooden flute from Casey Burns for $250...the "folk flute"

Or if you're into polymer there's Dixon, M&E, or Seery all for $300-$450.

Or you could get a Bamboo flute from Pat Olwell for under $100.

Any of the above are terrific instruments. The Tipples are also great bang for the buck.

Doc
Band Nerd

Post by Band Nerd »

Can anyone tell me Pat Olwell's website?
Jonathan
Tell us something.: Have played Irish traditional music >15 yrs. Flute, pipes, guitar.
I've taught music in Austin since 2011 or so.

Post by Jonathan »

Olwell doesn't have a website.

Regarding Tipple flutes, if you'll scroll down on Doug Tipple's website, you'll find a sound sample of his flute (played by Michael Eskin).
Tommy

Post by Tommy »

What key are you looking for in a flute. Perhaps I could make one for you. Do you live close to Houston?

tommyviking1@aol.com
''Whistles of Wood'', cpvc and brass. viewtopic.php?f=1&t=69086
treeshark

Post by treeshark »

andrewK wrote:I feel the same about Matisse paintings, but have not yet found a cheap source.
Which one would you like? I'm sure I could run you one up... how does half price sound?
andrewK

Post by andrewK »

Is that half your usual price ?
treeshark

Post by treeshark »

andrewK wrote:Is that half your usual price ?
I was thinking auction price:
Lot 226, "La Lecture (Deux Fillettes, Bouquet de Pivonines sur Fond Noir)," is an oil on canvas, 18 1/8 by 21 3/4 inches, by Henri Matisse (1869-1954) that is an extremely weak example of the artist's work and has a very ambitious estimate of $4,000,000 to $6,000,000. It was passed at $3,600,000. It was executed in 1947 and shows two woman reading a book on a table with a vase of flowers. It is not a fine Matisse.

See this is for a bum Matisse, you could pay me in flutes!
talasiga

Post by talasiga »

Band Nerd wrote:Wow! Those really are inexpensive! :lol: Do they sound pretty good? I couldn't come across any sound samples.
AS someone else has pointed out, the sound samples are there in his site.

Having recently acquired a Tipple Eb I would say it easily out ranks any bansuri of similar price and key in terms of sound, fingering facility and responsiveness. The large tone holes are great. It is unbreakable and with the bonus of a tuning slide, in my opinion, it surpasses any one piece bamboo flute.

I was very much influenced by the sound samples before I ordered the Eb and I definitely have not been disappointed.
qui jure suo utitur neminem laedit
Lambchop

Re: Oh, those Irish flutes!

Post by Lambchop »

Band Nerd wrote:Does anyone know if there are any Irish flute websites where the flutes aren't so EXPENSIVE? Almost everytime I see a Irish flute I want and like, I am turned away by the price. :cry: I really want one, but I don't want to get crazy with the prices.

Thanks a lot!
Collin

Has Pat Olwell begun making them again? I think he had stopped for a while.

Steve Cox also makes bamboos.

But, you know, The Master has spoken on the topic of Tipples. That holds some weight around here. I think your choice is an easy one! It's a Tipple, for sure.

For now, anyway. You'll get the thing, and then you'll play it, and then you'll start reading about everybody's flute(s), and you'll notice that they all seem to have somewhere between a bushel and a small load of them, and before you know it, you'll have FlOAD, too.

Sigh.
Cotelette d'Agneau
Doc Jones

Post by Doc Jones »

talasiga wrote:
Band Nerd wrote:Wow! Those really are inexpensive! :lol: Do they sound pretty good? I couldn't come across any sound samples.
AS someone else has pointed out, the sound samples are there in his site.

Having recently acquired a Tipple Eb I would say it easily out ranks any bansuri of similar price and key in terms of sound, fingering facility and responsiveness. The large tone holes are great. It is unbreakable and with the bonus of a tuning slide, in my opinion, it surpasses any one piece bamboo flute.

I was very much influenced by the sound samples before I ordered the Eb and I definitely have not been disappointed.
Talasiga,

Just for clarity, have you played an Olwell bamboo? :)

Doc
Jayhawk
Tell us something.: Well, just trying to update my avatar after a decade. Hope this counts! Ok, so apparently I must babble on longer.

Post by Jayhawk »

It was executed in 1947 and shows two woman reading a book on a table with a vase of flowers. It is not a fine Matisse.
Seems a tad harsh to execute it just because it's not a fine Matisse...

Eric