5 Yr. Old Arrested For Battery

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
Ian's Mom
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Ian's Mom »

Yikes. Sounds to me that the teacher MAY have made a bit of a judgement error when s/he took away the kid's jelly beans.

I can't imagine that this was the child's first outburst...usually such explosive episodes have some kind of trigger (not just being denied jelly beans), and it sounds like this kid probably has some significant issues that aren't being properly addressed. It's an issue of knowing your kids. If you know that little Jenny has a crummy home life and gets picked on by her peers and looks like she might fly into bits if you look at her the wrong way, then perhaps you should think twice before you make an example of her in front of her classmates.

The article doesn't mention the type of program the child was in--and this omission changes the way people react when they hear of this kind of incident. I work with children who are developmentally disabled, emotionally disturbed, and just plain "incorrigible" (I hate that word--the courts use it alot, though), and unfortunately it's not unusual to see a law enforcement official on campus, usually with one of our older kids in the back of the patrol car.

In the case of the residential treatment center where I work, even though we are trained to physically restrain a child who poses a threat to him/herself or others, we are no longer given the support or back-up that we need to do so. For example, if a child hits a staff member, that staff member is expected to take two steps back and assume the "protective stance"--arms out in front of you in a non-threatening way, palms out--and if that child continues the assualtive behavior, a restraint will occur. The problem with that, though, is that LAST year's regulations permitted us to restrain a kid who was in the triggering phase of an outburst BEFORE s/he was allowed to cause anyone bodily harm. Think the kids notice the policy change? You bet they do, and they take advantage of it.

We as staff members are told that 95% of physical restraints result as a failure on STAFF'S part, not the child's. This is not a supportive work environment. We are scrutinized by layer after layer of administrative personnel and told by people who sit behind desks away from the trenches that instead of putting Timmy in a restraint for hitting, kicking, biting, spitting, throwing the frog's tank across the room, and breaking the computer monitor, maybe we should have been a bit more understanding. Did Timmy get some bad news this morning, or was there a medication change, etc.? As someone who has spent time in the ER because I WAS understanding and took the extra 30 seconds to ask a few questions when I should have been looking out for that right hook and minding where that kid's teeth were aiming, I can assure you that it's a very fine line between doing what's right for the kid and preserving your own well-being.

Having said that, though, I'm thankful that I don't work in a regular-education setting. At least I have SOME support --regular-ed schools absolutely cannot touch a kid, and that's scary. Many kids in public school, and I bet the jelly bean kid is one of them, don't get the services or early intervention that they need, and as a result wind up taking their first ride in a police car at the tender age of 5 or 6. Absurd? Well, to put it in perspective, in New York State, that 5 or 6 year old kid would, by law, have to be riding in a booster seat.

Anyway, hello all... my name's Em, and uh, by the way...I also play tin whistle. :oops:
Sunnywindo

Post by Sunnywindo »

:lol:

It's okay, Em. You're not the first soul to ramble on OT around here.

Welcome to the board!

:) Sara (*who refrains from rambling off on this topic tonight*)
'I wish it need not have happend in my time,' said Frodo.
'So do I,' said Gandalf, 'and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us.'

-LOTR-
Ian's Mom

Post by Ian's Mom »

Guess I did get going a bit there, eh? It's just hard to read and article like that doing what I do for a living day after day, without really knowing the child's circumstances. I'm willing to bet it's not as cut-and-dried as the article made it sound, and the over-simplification of the entire thing is really a disservice to anyone who reads about it. If, for example, the jelly bean kid is an at-risk kid, the article isn't actually about the child's arrest, it's an article about the failure of the systems that are supposed to help and protect our most vulnerable children.

Poor journalism, I guess, is what really got me rambling. There's just not really enough info in the article from which to draw any kind of informed opinion.

Didn't think I was OT--sorry if I am!

Sara-Thanks! Nice to be here. :)
Em
TooTs

Post by TooTs »

I have a couple of friends who are primary school teachers and have the utmost respect for them. They spend most days of their lives picking up the pieces that disfunctional families throw out the door every morning and get very little praise or support for it.

There's a lot of children these days growing up on run down council estates (i think they call them "projects" in other countries), surrounded by violence, drug abuse and crime. Children grow up being fed a diet of macfilth and coke because their parents can't be bothered to cook a decent meal for them or give them something healthy to drink. It hardly surprises me the amount of psychological disorders that are occuring now, when children are showered with viloent and disfunctional tv images in amazing colours for several hours a day, while being given methylxanthine drugs and a huge array of chemical additives in sweets, junk food and drinks from an incredibly early age. Can we really expect that they behave and react like "normal" children?

I also think that using things like jelly beans is a little silly, especially if you're going to take them away from a child. It's bad enough taking sweets away from a child when they're on their own, to do it in front of a classroom of other children with the added humiliation that this child has had her sweets taken away while all the other children have not is to me a big lack of judgement on the part of the teacher.
Flyingcursor
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: This is the first sentence. This is the second of the recommended sentences intended to thwart spam its. This is a third, bonus sentence!

Post by Flyingcursor »

We can't have two Em's. Something will have to be decided. Perhaps an Emm and an Em?

As for this story. If the kid hit a teacher then does same kid hit parents?
I'd NEVER strike one of my parents. Not even playing. I'm appalled.
I'm no longer trying a new posting paradigm
Martin Milner

Post by Martin Milner »

Ian's Mom wrote:I can't imagine that this was the child's first outburst...usually such explosive episodes have some kind of trigger (not just being denied jelly beans), and it sounds like this kid probably has some significant issues that aren't being properly addressed.
That's what struck me about the stories - no history given.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk_politics/4367485.stm

As Toots says, some of the dodgy behaviour in schools is due to diet. The Labour Government are now bowing to popular pressure to improve school meals. The improvement in diet has been shown to improve behaviour at home and at school, and the long term health benefits more than make up for the extra expense of producing good, fresh, healthy food on the premesis, instead of heating up pizzas, ships and reclaimed meat products.
It don't mean a thing if it ain't got that schwing
emmline

Post by emmline »

Flyingcursor wrote:We can't have two Em's. Something will have to be decided. Perhaps an Emm and an Em?
Yes, that's what I was thinking too...I just didn't want to go all prima-donna about it. But, you may apply as many "m"s to me as you wish to keep things straight!
Emmmmmmmmmm.....
Flyingcursor
Tell us something.: This is the first sentence. This is the second of the recommended sentences intended to thwart spam its. This is a third, bonus sentence!

Post by Flyingcursor »

Thankfully I saved you from accusations of prima-donnatude.
I'm no longer trying a new posting paradigm
Kysh
Tell us something.: I've been playing irish music for about three decades. Flute player primarily, also perforce whistle player. Learning harp. Been a member of C&F for literally ever.

Post by Kysh »

Ian's Mom wrote:(not just being denied jelly beans)
"How did it make you feel, being denied these Hungry, Hungry Hippos?"
anniemcu
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10
Location: A little left of center, and 100 miles from St. Louis

Post by anniemcu »

We certainly need to be looking at the fact that such actions are becoming more common, and that is a major symptom to an illness we need to be treating.

Once again, I am ever so grateful for the freedom and opportunity to school my own children at home. Though, of course, they may someday choose to sue me for damages, LOL... I am doubtful it will come to that.
anniemcu
---
"You are what you do, not what you claim to believe." -Gene A. Statler
---
"Olé to you, none-the-less!" - Elizabeth Gilbert
---
http://www.sassafrassgrove.com
Ian's Mom

Post by Ian's Mom »

We can't have two Em's. Something will have to be decided. Perhaps an Emm and an Em?
Or Em I and Em II?

Why can't there be two Em's? Plenty of room for all, right? I debated using my real name for precisely that reason...didn't want the controversy.

My 2 sisters and I all have husbands named Mike, but I was the first to marry, so my husband's Mike I. Mike II and Mike III followed, and my mom's been confused ever since. :P

Or, since Emm is short for Emmline, and Em is short for Emily, Emm's suggestion of multiple m's makes sense (out of nonsense? :lol: ).

It's not really important...I don't have all that much time to spend, and I shan't upset the status quo very often--if at all. :wink:

Em
aka
Em II
aka
With One M
anniemcu
Location: A little left of center, and 100 miles from St. Louis

Post by anniemcu »

Lest it be misunderstood, let me clarify that what is wrong with the situation this case illustrates is not the teachers as a whole, but the system as a whole, combined with the willful refusal of many to actually parent their children.

I have many friends who are or have been public and private school teachers, and it has become very difficult to do their job effectively.

------------------------

Also, since we now have two "em"s, it might be noted that we also have two 'ian's mom's, and two 'Sara(h)'s... as I am both of those... though you can continue to call me annie. :D

(edited once to correct one of my interminable spelling and/or typing errors)(OK, and a second time to add some pertinent stuff)
anniemcu
---
"You are what you do, not what you claim to believe." -Gene A. Statler
---
"Olé to you, none-the-less!" - Elizabeth Gilbert
---
http://www.sassafrassgrove.com
maire

Post by maire »

As a professional child care manager, I was horrified to read the article. What is the world coming to when we dont take the time to give these children a guiding hand instead of the proverbial slap in the face?
The child is a product of its personal circumstances, and as far as I`m concerned, what the law enforcement officers did on that day was actively take part in emotional abuse, a well documented form of child abuse, and if I were the mother and had any sense I would enroll myself in parenting classes whilst simutaneously taking the school and police to court.
The other thing that struck me about the article was the fact that the media reported it in the first place. That also couldnt be conducive to helping the family [if it is flawed ]. With the attention that it is bringing on this family and the potential damage it may inflict on their futures, sensationalism seems to be the order of the day, not help.
You would think that coming from Northern Ireland this would be something that I may have seen. Our children have their own problems [ and then some! ] but, this I have never encountered.
How destressing...........
Redwolf

Post by Redwolf »

It's a frustrating situation, to be sure. I work in my daughter's school (a small private school) and even there, I'm appalled at the unwillingness of parents to BE parents! There are children there who, I can guarantee you, have never heard the word "no" in their lives...whose parents are much more interested in being "buddies" to their children and in making sure their "rights" aren't trampled on than in actually helping their kids grow up to be productive adults. In the public school she was in before, there was a different problem that had similar results...parents who were either too busy earning money or too busy shepherding kids around to the many activities they figured they just HAD to have to actually spend time WITH the kids.

You know, even in my daughter's relatively affluent sixth grade class, she's one of the few kids who:

Has two parents living in the home
Has one parent who is "full-time"
Has supper every night with both parents
Has regular chores to perform at home
Attends regular worship services with both parents
Never spent a single day in day care.

And the only kid who has all of the above!

Redwolf
...agus déanfaidh mé do mholadh ar an gcruit a Dhia, a Dhia liom!