Off with his head!

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
Jack
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Jack »

My Detroit aunt pronounces 'pop' almost exactly the same as 'pipe'. Her family is Polish, though, so I think that may or may not have something to do with it.
TooTs

Post by TooTs »

Cranberry wrote:My Detroit aunt pronounces 'pop' almost exactly the same as 'pipe'.
I have a similar problem. Everytime i try to order a soda it always sounds exactly like cider. :D
ChrisA

Post by ChrisA »

izzarina wrote:
ChrisA wrote:Milkshakes -are- flavored milk, shaken to a good froth. The stuff with ice-cream in it
is a Frappe. Milkshake, shaken milk. Frappe, the setting on the blender to mix ice-cream and
milk to a creamy blend.
What if I don't use the Frappe setting? What if I use merely the BLEND setting? Does it then cease to be a Frappe, and become a BLEND? Or maybe a SHRED? Oh wait!! My blender doesn't even have a "Frappe" setting...does this mean I can't make a milk/ice cream/ Frappe thing? :boggle: ;)
Fear not, even if it's mislabeled on your blender, you can still make one.
It's the third speed up from the bottom on an eight speed blender, middle setting
on a three speed.

Oh, and importantly, it's pronounced 'Frap' not 'Frap-pay'. Only the French use that
pronunciation. And those lunatic canadians that want to secede and be the first landlocked
nation in North America.
BrassBlower
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by BrassBlower »

I just had to do a Google search on crubeen. Anyone see this article? (No, crubeens don't bark.)

http://www.salon.com/july97/wanderlust/mondo970729.html

Here's an excerpt:

We sat down at the low table in the best local restaurant and ordered up a dog hot pot -- alliteratively called a gou hou guo. After a while a large pot of boiling water -- shaped like a bundt pan with a tiny charcoal fire beneath, the smoke emerging from the central smoke stack -- was placed before us. The meat was already inside, along with some bits of bark and other flavorings, and the waitress swept a full plate of fresh greens into the stew to simmer.

:lol:
https://www.facebook.com/4StringFantasy

I do not feel obliged to believe that that same God who has endowed us with sense, reason, and intellect has intended us to forgo their use.

-Galileo
Walden
Chiffmaster General

Post by Walden »

BrassBlower wrote:I just had to do a Google search on crubeen. Anyone see this article? (No, crubeens don't bark.)
Used in a sentence, "My great aunt Gladys won a trip to the crubeen, last month, on The Price is Right."
Reasonable person
Walden
Darwin

Post by Darwin »

Walden wrote:...pot roast, new potatoes, corn on the cob, okra, green pinto beans, fried chicken, hominy, hushpuppies, corn bread, ham, cracklin's, gravy made out of the leavings from ham in the skillet, potato cakes (made from mashed potatoes), poke salat and eggs, mustard greens, turnip greens, chicken fried steak, black eyed peas (preferably with small okra pods... slice and fry the big ones with cornmeal... boil the little ones with black eyed peas), fried apples, fried green tomatoes, fried catfish, pickled beets (don't care for them, personally), sausage gravy, wild onions, biscuits topped with fresh cooked wild berries and butter or cream, fruit pies and cobblers, etc.
If I wadn't back in Texas already, I'd be homesick after reading all that. :lol:

{I don't like pickled beets, neither.)
Mike Wright

"When an idea is wanting, a word can always be found to take its place."
 --Goethe
Darwin

Post by Darwin »

izzarina wrote:
Cranberry wrote:
izzarina wrote:Oops...that's right, it's ICIN' ::said with southern drawl:: .
Oh, and by the way, Flydood....I thought that SODA was more in reference to Bicarbonate of Soda (aka Baking Soda). And where does Sodapop come in to play here?
When you put the little apostrophe after the last letter, it makes you look pretentious and like you're trying to be "one of us". It's better if you leave the apostrophes off. The same thing goes for the word yall. When native speakers of Southern write the word yall, I've never seen the contraction because it's not really considered a contraction. It's its own separate word...yall. :)
SIGH!!! Seems I just can't win this week! ;) I promise from henceforth to leave apostrophes off in these matters :D
Well, I'm a bit of a native speaker, myself, and I always use the apostrophe, as in, "If y'all'll all come on over to the barbecue...".

What I've never seen or heard a native speaker do is to use "y'all" for the singular. That seems to be the sure sign of a foreigner that don't know no better. Another is substituting "you all" for "y'all".

Oh, and in civilized lands, carbonated beverages are referred to as "col' drinks".
Mike Wright

"When an idea is wanting, a word can always be found to take its place."
 --Goethe
Walden
Chiffmaster General

Post by Walden »

I'm native and I use apostrophes. :) It has more to do with a general fondness for punctuation on my part. Ever notice I use an awful lot of commas?
Reasonable person
Walden
Lambchop

Post by Lambchop »

Henke wrote:. . . American-style crappfood . . .
You've coined a new term, Henke! Perfect!

It's the double p's that do it. "Crappfood!" :lol: :lol: :lol:

"Man, they had a plumbing leak in the food court this morning. The only thing open down there is Burger King."

"Bleah! I'm not eating that crappfood! Sounds like a good day for the Green Iguana."
Cotelette d'Agneau
Lambchop

Post by Lambchop »

dubhlinn wrote:Speaking of Food...get some of these down the back of your neck - as we say in Dublin :wink:

More details here,

http://www.rte.ie/tv/therestaurant/enri ... main1.html

Slan,
D.

Ah, looks like pigs' feet. We're not completely backward, Dubhlinn. We have them here.

A southern-style catering chef runs the cafeteria where I work . . . they show up about once every two weeks. Usually in a better-looking gravy.
Cotelette d'Agneau
Jack

Post by Jack »

Peggy wrote:Green Iguana.
The green iguana's scientific name is iguana iguana.

I find that to be a cool random bit of info.
Lambchop

Post by Lambchop »

Flyingcursor wrote:
Cranberry wrote:
Henke wrote: YES! Thank the good lord for McDonald's! :D
I haven't eaten at McDonald's in years. Possibly even a decade. I can't remember. But I have drank pop and orange juice from there.
Please note that Cranberry properly referred to it as "pop". Not soda.
Soda is another word for lye and you don't drink lye.

Both of you are wrong. Sigh. How many times do we have to tell you?

It is "coke." Cranberry drank coke and orange juice from there. Root beer, Coca-cola, Mr. Pibb, 7-Up, grape Nehi, and fizzy orange. It's all coke. Lower case. Coca-cola is Coke, upper case, and it's still coke.

Listen and repeat after me . . . (waitress at table for four):

"What'll you have?"

"I think we all want a coke."

"What kind?"

"Um, orange for me."

"How about you?"

"I think I'll have a 7-Up."

"You?"

"Coke."

"You?"

"I think I'll just have ice tea instead."

"Sweet or unsweet?"

"Unsweet, please."

"Ok, an orange, a 7-Up, a Co'Cola, and unsweet tea. Be right back with it."

"Umm, wait, please! It's a little chilly . . . do you have hot tea?"

"Oh, sure, honey. We can put it in the microwave for you."
Cotelette d'Agneau
dubhlinn

Post by dubhlinn »

Peggy wrote:
dubhlinn wrote:Speaking of Food...get some of these down the back of your neck - as we say in Dublin :wink:

More details here,

http://www.rte.ie/tv/therestaurant/enri ... main1.html

Slan,
D.

Ah, looks like pigs' feet. We're not completely backward, Dubhlinn. We have them here.

A southern-style catering chef runs the cafeteria where I work . . . they show up about once every two weeks. Usually in a better-looking gravy.
Pigs Trotters were considered to be a rare delicacy in my late parents generation.I remember well the time we lived in California and every now and then a parcel of Crubeens would arrive from Dublin and my Mother and her sisters would have a wild feeding frenzy as soon as they could boil the bejasus out of the trotters. I never really cared for them myself - far to sticky for my liking.

Slan,
D. :lol:
And many a poor man that has roved,
Loved and thought himself beloved,
From a glad kindness cannot take his eyes.

W.B.Yeats
Jerry Freeman
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by Jerry Freeman »

Cranberry wrote:

... and Paddy O'Ratty's family name is Ratus ratus.

Best wishes,
Jerry
Jack

Post by Jack »

Jerry Freeman wrote:
Cranberry wrote:

... and Paddy O'Ratty's family name is Ratus ratus.

Best wishes,
Jerry
And the blue whale and the common mouse (Ralph) share the same species name: musculus. :D