Whistle in key of B

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
HarrisonL
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Whistle in key of B

Post by HarrisonL »

Does anyone know of a decently priced B whistle and where I could order it from? I want to learn tunes and play along with "Kitty Lie Over" by Mick O'Brien and Caoimhín Ó Raghallaigh. Thanks alot.

Slán,

Harrison
eskin

Post by eskin »

I highly recommend Michael Burke's session pro brass whistle in B. I have one, its fantastic. Probably any of his other B whistle are also great.
pixyy
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Just updating my profile after 16+ years of C&F membership. Sold most of my flutes, play the ones I still own and occasionally still enjoy coming here and read about flute related subjects.

Post by pixyy »

As far as I remember Mick and Caoimhín played Susato whistles.
I think Susato make them in B...
colomon
Tell us something.: Whistle player, aspiring C#/D accordion and flute player, and aspiring tunesmith. Particularly interested in the music of South Sligo and Newfoundland. Inspired by the music of Peter Horan, Fred Finn, Rufus Guinchard, Emile Benoit, and Liz Carroll.

I've got some compositions up at http://www.harmonyware.com/tunes/SolsTunes.html

Post by colomon »

Yes, Susato makes a nice B whistle. Elderly Instruments has it for $30.
Sol's Tunes (new tune 2/2020)
carrie

Post by carrie »

I have a Water Weasel B which is very nice and a Burke Bb which is one of my favorite whistles. If you want to play along with Kitty Lie Over, you'll want a Bb, though, as I recall. For that matter, I have liked both the Generation Bbs I've had, nickel and brass.

Carol
Cayden

Post by Cayden »

pixyy wrote:As far as I remember Mick and Caoimhín played Susato whistles.
They used Burkes
Jack

Post by Jack »

cskinner wrote:I have a Water Weasel B which is very nice and a Burke Bb which is one of my favorite whistles. If you want to play along with Kitty Lie Over, you'll want a Bb, though, as I recall. For that matter, I have liked both the Generation Bbs I've had, nickel and brass.

Carol
I also think the Water Weasel B is really good. Then again, it's the only B natural whistle I've ever played, I think...B isn't too useful a key generally.
glauber

Post by glauber »

B is good if you play with geetar players, to play songs in the key of E. Or if you play Irish music with someone who has flat pipes in B. Mack Hoover makes a nice B, also.
On the Internet, nobody knows you're a dog!
--Wellsprings--
Wombat

Post by Wombat »

I think you can now get Sindt and Abell in B. And Overton of course. I don't have a B whistle. I've been meaning to fill in the odd keys with at least one nice whistle.
boyd
Tell us something.: Sets in D and B by Rogge and flute by Olwell, whistles by Burke and Goldie. I have been a member for a very long time here. Thanks for reading.

Post by boyd »

Peter Laban wrote:
pixyy wrote:As far as I remember Mick and Caoimhín played Susato whistles.
They used Burkes
They do.

And Mick'll sell you one if you live in Europe.
Otherwise, ask Mr Burke himself.

You'll need to have something to play in Bb too as there's a good number of tunes from that recording in Bb rather than B.

B
Henke

Post by Henke »

One of the best bangs for the buck is probably an aluminium Syn B. I have a full set of Syns and I love them. You could get the whole set (E, Eb, D, C#, C, B, Bb and A bodies -one headjoint-) for less than you would pay for most of the other high enders. Plus, Erle is a great fellow to deal with, very friendly, fast delivery and everything. Find contact info in the C&F high-end whistle guide.

Cheers
Wombat

Post by Wombat »

Henke wrote:One of the best bangs for the buck is probably an aluminium Syn B. I have a full set of Syns and I love them. You could get the whole set (E, Eb, D, C#, C, B, Bb and A bodies -one headjoint-) for less than you would pay for most of the other high enders. Plus, Erle is a great fellow to deal with, very friendly, fast delivery and everything. Find contact info in the C&F high-end whistle guide.

Cheers
I know all that and I've been meaning to act on it. It's one of those odd things. Erle lives in the same range of mountains about an hour's drive away. I've just never got around to ordering what I want from him.
Jack

Post by Jack »

glauber wrote:B is good if you play with geetar players, to play songs in the key of E. Or if you play Irish music with someone who has flat pipes in B. Mack Hoover makes a nice B, also.
Sinéad O'Connor sings a lot in B, too, but I usually just play along in E and it works okay.
Darwin

Post by Darwin »

Wombat wrote:
Henke wrote:One of the best bangs for the buck is probably an aluminium Syn B. I have a full set of Syns and I love them. You could get the whole set (E, Eb, D, C#, C, B, Bb and A bodies -one headjoint-) for less than you would pay for most of the other high enders. Plus, Erle is a great fellow to deal with, very friendly, fast delivery and everything. Find contact info in the C&F high-end whistle guide.

Cheers
I know all that and I've been meaning to act on it. It's one of those odd things. Erle lives in the same range of mountains about an hour's drive away. I've just never got around to ordering what I want from him.
You'd better go visit him and see if he has any wooden whistles to try out, too. That's something I'd like to see more feedback about.

I have a high D aluminum Syn, and it's one of my favorites. If some Doomsday scenario required me to be left with only one whistle, I might not pick the Syn on purpose, but I wouldn't feel real bad if chance picked it for me. It's similar to the Burke narrow-bore aluminum, but not quite as "bright", which I presume means that it has fewer high overtones. As a result, I'd consider it slightly less "expressive", based on my own playing style. Still, it sounds pretty good.

When I moved, I selected the Syn and the Busman Delrin whistles to carry along on the plane, in part because I like the sound and playability of each, and in part because they are two of my most robust whistles. I'm not worried about either bending, breaking, or denting from something as simple as sitting on them, stepping on them, or dropping them on a hard surface. Their only real weak points are the brass tuning slides, and, being short, the slides aren't much of a problem.

It's interesting that the Busman is my most expensive whistle, while the Syn is one of my least expensive ones (though I got mine as part of a trade, rather than by actually paying the US$41.00 that Gaelic Crossings charges for them).
Mike Wright

"When an idea is wanting, a word can always be found to take its place."
 --Goethe
BrassBlower

Post by BrassBlower »

Cranberry wrote:
glauber wrote:B is good if you play with geetar players, to play songs in the key of E. Or if you play Irish music with someone who has flat pipes in B. Mack Hoover makes a nice B, also.
Sinéad O'Connor sings a lot in B, too, but I usually just play along in E and it works okay.
Thankfully, I have an E whistle now. Before, I would pull out the mouthpiece on my tunable Dixon G and use creative breath control.
https://www.facebook.com/4StringFantasy

I do not feel obliged to believe that that same God who has endowed us with sense, reason, and intellect has intended us to forgo their use.

-Galileo