Irish Joke Thread in Honour of St Patrick ...

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
rh
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by rh »

mukade wrote:
Wombat wrote:Duke Ellington, Muddy Waters and Hank Williams would be a good place for me to start identifying if I were American. :wink:
Add Woodie Guthrie to that list.
add Bill Monroe, while yer at it. he took the "ancient tones" of his Scots-Irish musical heritage and fused it with the blues and gospel music to make bluegrass... a uniquely American hybrid.
there is no end to the walking
I.D.10-t

Post by I.D.10-t »

Last edited by I.D.10-t on Thu Mar 17, 2005 4:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Be not deceived by the sweet words of proverbial philosophy. Sugar of lead is a poison."
izzarina
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by izzarina »

dubhlinn wrote:I mean to say..Bob Dylan...'nuff said. :wink:
Actually, I thought about this well after I posted my comment. Notice I didn't say anything else :P
Someday, everything is gonna be diff'rent
When I paint my masterpiece.
Feadan
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by Feadan »

I.D.10-t wrote: Personally, I feel that I am human long before any thing else and my loyalties are such. I do not like the fact that I am given a citizenship at birth and am already labled an American (or forced into any other artificial loyalties) for life.
Yeah...what I.D.10-t said about sums it up for me as well. And in that light I have to say, much as it will rankle the right wing patriot crowd, I am very pleased that my children go to a school where they are not required to pledge allegiance to a piece of cloth every morning. :roll:

Cheers,
David
Wombat

Post by Wombat »

rh wrote:
mukade wrote:
Wombat wrote:Duke Ellington, Muddy Waters and Hank Williams would be a good place for me to start identifying if I were American. :wink:
Add Woodie Guthrie to that list.
add Bill Monroe, while yer at it. he took the "ancient tones" of his Scots-Irish musical heritage and fused it with the blues and gospel music to make bluegrass... a uniquely American hybrid.
And the list just goes on and on .... I just got the ball rolling.

An Irish friend of mine who stays over when in Wollongong, who loves ITM, whose father was a friend of Seamus Ennis, he's just as likely to play country or blues or jazz as Irish music from my collection.
I.D.10-t

Post by I.D.10-t »

I was going to post something vile and offensive. I would have been supported and ridiculed and I would have felt clever.

Then I looked at the title and remembered that I was on a thread about an a man, that had a sometimes rough life, and yet tried to help others live a life that was good.

So, for what it is worth, Have a happy St. Patrick’s day

http://www.historychannel.com/exhibits/ ... ge=patrick

(PS does Ireland have snakes?)
"Be not deceived by the sweet words of proverbial philosophy. Sugar of lead is a poison."
Montana

Post by Montana »

Ireland does not have snakes but it has nothing to do with a Catholic missionary...
http://www.straightdope.com/mailbag/mirishsnakes.html
glauber

Post by glauber »

Happy St. Patrick's to everyone, and please try not to be too silly.
On the Internet, nobody knows you're a dog!
--Wellsprings--
The Weekenders

Post by The Weekenders »

Happy to all. Funny, Glaub!!
How do you prepare for the end of the world?
dubhlinn

Post by dubhlinn »

[quote="Wombat.]

An Irish friend of mine who stays over when in Wollongong, who loves ITM, whose father was a friend of Seamus Ennis, he's just as likely to play country or blues or jazz as Irish music from my collection.[/quote]

:lol: ..Was it Duke or Count who said " There are two types of Music in the World , Good or Bad"...or something like that..hic..

Slan,
D.
And many a poor man that has roved,
Loved and thought himself beloved,
From a glad kindness cannot take his eyes.

W.B.Yeats
glauber

Post by glauber »

Duke, i think.

"It don't mean a thing if it ain't got that swing!"
On the Internet, nobody knows you're a dog!
--Wellsprings--
Wombat

Post by Wombat »

dubhlinn wrote:[quote="Wombat'']

An Irish friend of mine who stays over when in Wollongong, who loves ITM, whose father was a friend of Seamus Ennis, he's just as likely to play country or blues or jazz as Irish music from my collection.

:lol: ..Was it Duke or Count who said " There are two types of Music in the World , Good or Bad"...or something like that..hic..

Slan,
D.[/quote]

I think Glauber's right. It was Duke. BTW, it was also Duke who said that the only music other than jazz that truly swings is Scottish. I guess he couldn't have heard many strathspeys. :lol:

Just an amusing story about my Irish friend. We were sitting around drinking Ruddles and he was going through records he wanted to listen to and stumbled on a Seamus Ennis CD. Just casually he said: 'I must listen to this one day. I remember Seamus visiting my father regularly when I was a child in Drogheda.' Small world, eh?
jkrazy52

Post by jkrazy52 »

Perhaps problem drinking in Ireland is more a reality than a joke.
Unfortunately St. Patrick's Day is spoiled here in Dublin as a lot of people, young and old, get blind drunk early in the day and spend the rest of the day picking street fights and causing trouble!
This came from a friend in Ireland, when I asked about how the day is celebrated in Ireland. Sounds like a good place to be "from" ....

Guess I'm now not supposed to tell people I have any Irish heritage, as well as I can't really play ITM, as I wasn't born there .... sheesh!

And my mother said the Irish have a great sense of humor .... :sniffle:
chas
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by chas »

I know Duke said, "If it sounds good it IS good."
Charlie
Whorfin Woods
"Our work puts heavy metal where it belongs -- as a music genre and not a pollutant in drinking water." -- Prof Ali Miserez.
Walden
Chiffmaster General

Post by Walden »

Feadan wrote:And in that light I have to say, much as it will rankle the right wing patriot crowd, I am very pleased that my children go to a school where they are not required to pledge allegiance to a piece of cloth every morning. :roll:
As far as I can see, the Pledge (originally, "I pledge allegiance to my Flag and the Republic for which it stands, one nation indivisible, with liberty and justice for all") was intended as part of an effort to educate the then-Republican position into the American populace, and especially aimed at the former Confederacy. Far as I can tell, the anti-states-rights indoctrination has been highly successful.

As for being required, it's been about 62 years since the Supreme Court ruled that schools may not require it.
Reasonable person
Walden