Now, this is how you teach history!

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
Redwolf
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Now, this is how you teach history!

Post by Redwolf »

Check out what my daughter's school did yesterday:

http://www.santacruzsentinel.com/archiv ... 4local.htm

Is that fun, or what? Why were my history classes never like this?

The lady who teaches this class is also our Morris teacher, and the person who's leading our trip to England this summer.

Redwolf
...agus déanfaidh mé do mholadh ar an gcruit a Dhia, a Dhia liom!
mukade

Post by mukade »

That is a great way to bring history to life.

My school had a couple of historical reenactment societies visit and create battles from the English civil war and Roman periods. Being able to touch and see replicas of weapons and clothes from those times fired an interest in history that is still with me today.

We also had Morris dancers visit our school on a couple of occasions, but in England they are not a favoured form of entertainment.

It would have been great to have had Morris dancers there on the same day as the HE groups. I can just imagine the cheers when a Roman legion launched an attack a group of Morris dancers. :D :D

Mukade
avanutria
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: A long time chatty Chiffer but have been absent for almost two decades. Returned in 2022 and still recognize some names! I also play anglo concertina now.

Re: Now, this is how you teach history!

Post by avanutria »

Redwolf wrote:The lady who teaches this class is also our Morris teacher, and the person who's leading our trip to England this summer.
Anywhere near London, Red? :)
Flyingcursor
Tell us something.: This is the first sentence. This is the second of the recommended sentences intended to thwart spam its. This is a third, bonus sentence!

Post by Flyingcursor »

Very cool way to bring the story home. I never had teachers like that.
Everything I learned about history I had to learn on the STREET!!!

Once, in Chicago this seedy guy in a trench coat corraled me in an alley.
"Hey Bud. Come 'ere."
"Yeah?"
"Wanna learn about Charles Martel? Or if yer inta that African stuff I can tell ya about Shaka."

I got my history lessons where I could find them.
I'm no longer trying a new posting paradigm
Feadan

Post by Feadan »

mukade wrote: We also had Morris dancers visit our school on a couple of occasions, but in England they are not a favoured form of entertainment.
Hmmmm...what makes you think that?

Cheers,
David
jbarter
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Re: Now, this is how you teach history!

Post by jbarter »

Redwolf wrote:The lady who teaches this class is also our Morris teacher, and the person who's leading our trip to England this summer.
Further details please. :) Have I missed a previous announcement?
May the joy of music be ever thine.
(BTW, my name is John)
mukade

Post by mukade »

Feadan wrote:
mukade wrote: We also had Morris dancers visit our school on a couple of occasions, but in England they are not a favoured form of entertainment.
Most people prefer Eastenders or Coronation Street.

Mukade
Wombat

Post by Wombat »

mukade wrote:
Feadan wrote:

Mukade
Don't you mean Neighbours and Home and Away? :D
Feadan

Post by Feadan »

Mukade
So...you think most people like to sit slackjawed in front of the idiot box then actually see live entertainment or cultural events... :-? If true that is indeed pretty sad.

Cheers,
David
Redwolf

Post by Redwolf »

Whoops! Did I somehow forget to mention here that we're taking Jo's class to England this summer? I can't believe I neglected to mention that...we're all so excited, we can hardly stand it!

Yes, about 12 parents, teachers and kids from the fourth and sixth grades at Jo's school (myself, DD and hubby included) are going to be in England for two weeks starting July 6 for the ultimate "living history" class! We'll be in London most of the time (we're getting a couple of apartments in Westminster to use as a base of operations, and to save a bit on money, as we'll be able to cook most of our meals rather than eating out), but we're hoping to take a few forays elsewhere (the kids are working on the ultimate itenerary...they're each researching various possibilities, and once all the research is in, the kids will vote on what they most want to see).

One thing I know we're doing is the living history re-enactment on the Golden Hinde (Sir Francis Drake's ship). That is going to be a blast! And we also have tickets for a performance at The Globe (The Tempest, I think, is what we ultimately decided on).

BTW, regarding living history, this same teacher helped us put on a Rennaissance Fair at the school a couple of years ago (with active participation, of course, from our Morris Dancers). I wish all teachers were that creative! She's also written a couple of humorous, musical versions of Greek plays, which the kids performed (which is why we probably have the only Kindergarten class in the area that can tell you all you ever wanted to know about the Odyssey and Heracles!).

Redwolf
mukade

Post by mukade »

Feadan wrote:
So...you think most people like to sit slackjawed in front of the idiot box then actually see live entertainment or cultural events... :-?

Cheers,
David
When it comes to Morris dancing, probably yes.

British soaps are very much part of the national culture.
Even Bill Bryson was an avid fan of Coronation Street.

Mukade
dubhlinn

Post by dubhlinn »

Sounds like a grand expedition Red,you gotta have a go on this Baby..

Do a Google Image search on "London Eye" for loads of pics.
You really need to have two goes,one in daylight and one at night.

Slan,
D.
And many a poor man that has roved,
Loved and thought himself beloved,
From a glad kindness cannot take his eyes.

W.B.Yeats
avanutria
Tell us something.: A long time chatty Chiffer but have been absent for almost two decades. Returned in 2022 and still recognize some names! I also play anglo concertina now.

Post by avanutria »

I second the London Eye. It's a half hour "flight" so perhaps you can time it to occur around sunset and get both night and day in one go. You can buy tickets ahead of time, which I highly recommend, and you might even be able to book particular times, I don't know.

I also recommend taking a native with you to point out all the landmarks. I happen to know one if you haven't got any to hand. :P
Jack
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Jack »

That thang skers me.
Redwolf

Post by Redwolf »

I know the kids plan to go on the Eye, but I may beg off...I'm intensly acrophobic, and just looking at that thing makes me want to hide my eyes and cry!

Several of the kids going with us are in the Morris troupe, so if anybody out there dances and plans to be in London then, let me know...maybe we can get together for our own "mini-ale"!

I'd rather watch Morris Dancing than the idiot box any day of the week. :wink:

Redwolf