Biorythmically low.

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
Wombat
antispam: No

Post by Wombat »

Miso soup and lentil soup. Now you've really go me going.
LisaD
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by LisaD »

All this talk of lentil soup :) .... here's my favorite recipe:

LENTIL SOUP

1 large yellow onion, chopped
3 carrots, diced or grated
¾ tsp marjoram
¾ tsp thyme
1 28oz can tomatoes with their juice, coarsely chopped (or pureed in a blender)
7 cups chicken broth
1 ½ cups dried lentils
1 tsp salt (or more, to taste)
¼ tsp (or more) ground black pepper
¼ cup dry white wine (optional, but nice)
⅓ cup chopped fresh parsley or 2 tbs dried parsley

1. In a large saucepan, saute the onions, carrots, marjoram and thyme in a little olive oil for about 5 minutes.
2. Add the tomatoes, broth and lentils. Bring to a boil, reduce heat, cover and simmer for about 1 hour or until the lentils are tender.
3. Add salt, pepper, wine and parsley and simmer for a few minutes.

You can serve it with grated cheese on top. This soup freezes well.
Lambchop

Post by Lambchop »

avanutria wrote:I don't care if Campbell's chicken noodle soup is cruel and evil. It's important comfort food, and it's not sold in this country. :cry: I had a friend mail me four cans, and I'm rationing them for when I reeeally need them.

Best with Ritz crackers in. I think they sell some form of those here...

That's awful! What is wrong with those people!

Perhaps you should just list what they do have available. (I'm sure it will be a very short list!)

Campbell's isn't just comfort food . . . it's medically therapeutic. That's a known fact. I'm surprised the FDA hasn't licensed them to put it on the label.

There is a possible solution for you. Lipton makes dehydrated chicken soup which, I swear, is very, very close to Campbell's, particularly if you make it with less water than recommended.

A friend at work gave me a packet one day when I was going home too sick to stop off at the grocery. I didn't believe it would work, but it did. Not too bad.

Best of all, it's light. I bet you could get someone to send you a box or two.
anniemcu
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10
Location: A little left of center, and 100 miles from St. Louis

Post by anniemcu »

Jerry Freeman wrote:Chocolate deficiency.

The symptoms are unmistakable.

Best wishes,
Jerry
I concur with Dr. Freeman ... I prescribe a large bolus ... dark, with almonds, preferably...
anniemcu
---
"You are what you do, not what you claim to believe." -Gene A. Statler
---
"Olé to you, none-the-less!" - Elizabeth Gilbert
---
http://www.sassafrassgrove.com
spittin_in_the_wind

Post by spittin_in_the_wind »

Oh please, there is no need for Campbell's chicken noodle! Just take the remains of a roasted chicken, the parts that are left over after a couple of days...pull the meat off and cut it up, put it in some canned chicken broth, add some carrots and celery seed, and about 1/4 cup rice. Simmer it for about 1/2 hour and you're done...add more water if you need to. Make sure it has enough salt, if it doesn't taste right. You can even freeze it for desperate moments.

Robin
ChrisA

Post by ChrisA »

avanutria wrote:I don't care if Campbell's chicken noodle soup is cruel and evil. It's important comfort food, and it's not sold in this country. :cry: I had a friend mail me four cans, and I'm rationing them for when I reeeally need them.

Best with Ritz crackers in. I think they sell some form of those here...
I could swear that it is sold in London. I distinctly recall hearing (on NPR) about American
Imports stores, that sell things like Campbell's Soup, Skippy Peanut Butter, and of course,
Hostess Twinkies. Probably Marshmallow Fluff and Wonder Bread too. I'm pretty sure
the London store specifically was mentioned and the people there interviewed, but I can't recall the name of the store exactly (and I suppose 'American Imports' does not get its own
category in the phone book... really, who other than a born and raised American wants a Fluffernutter on Wonder Bread?)

Of course, you can expect to pay a good few pounds for a 99 cent can of soup (or loaf
of pseudo-bread) that way, but when you're desperate... ;)

--Chris
izzarina

Post by izzarina »

ChrisA wrote:I could swear that it is sold in London. I distinctly recall hearing (on NPR) about American
Imports stores, that sell things like Campbell's Soup, Skippy Peanut Butter, and of course,
Hostess Twinkies.
I used to love Hostess Twinkies, until they changed the cream filling. Now I can't stand them. It's really sad too....they were my favorite breakfast when I was in high school :P
Someday, everything is gonna be diff'rent
When I paint my masterpiece.
StewySmoot

Post by StewySmoot »

Senility.
Get used to it.
I know.
<a href="http://www.whistletotheworld.com/" target="_blank"> Whistle to the World</a>
Helping underprivileged kids learn music via the Irish Whistle.
avanutria
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: A long time chatty Chiffer but have been absent for almost two decades. Returned in 2022 and still recognize some names! I also play anglo concertina now.

Post by avanutria »

ChrisA wrote:I could swear that it is sold in London. I distinctly recall hearing (on NPR) about American Imports stores, that sell things like Campbell's Soup, Skippy Peanut Butter, and of course, Hostess Twinkies. Probably Marshmallow Fluff and Wonder Bread too. I'm pretty sure the London store specifically was mentioned and the people there interviewed, but I can't recall the name of the store exactly (and I suppose 'American Imports' does not get its own category in the phone book... really, who other than a born and raised American wants a Fluffernutter on Wonder Bread?)
Hahaha...there is a *very* high scale shop called Fortnum and Mason's, in the centre of town...the staff have to wear these old style uniforms, and everything is fancy...

On an ornate wooden shelf sat some Aunt Jemima's Original pancake mix and Strawberry flavour Marshmallow Fluff. I laughed my head off. Then I bought some pancake mix :D

There is a shop that sells overpriced Twinkies and Oreos but I'm not too big of a fan of those. I've got kind of a mental list going at the moment of what's been found where, but I haven't written it down for other expats yet.
Martin Milner

Post by Martin Milner »

ChrisA wrote: Fluffernutter
Sounds like someone who lends a hand to the leading man during the making of a film of "Adult" content.
It don't mean a thing if it ain't got that schwing
Flyingcursor
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: This is the first sentence. This is the second of the recommended sentences intended to thwart spam its. This is a third, bonus sentence!

Post by Flyingcursor »

izzarina wrote: I used to love Hostess Twinkies, until they changed the cream filling. Now I can't stand them. It's really sad too....they were my favorite breakfast when I was in high school :P
A few years ago my daughters and I were driving down a suburban road and there, in the road, sat a Twinkie. All by itself, unwrapped. I did not squish the yellow fellow but probably should have. As we drove slowly by a very young girl came out into the road behind us. I watched through the rear view mirror. My youngest daughter said, "She's not going to eat that is she?"
The girl picked up the Twinkie, looked it over and shoved it into her mouth.
We laughed heartily. I can never hear about or see a Twinkie without remembering that incident.
I'm no longer trying a new posting paradigm
emmline

Post by emmline »

But what the UK DOES have is vegan Skittles and Starbursts. They aren't here. That was a big bonus for my daughter a few years ago and we stocked up.