What is it with charitable organizations these days?

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
Redwolf
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

What is it with charitable organizations these days?

Post by Redwolf »

For years I have donated outgrown or unused clothing to one of two agencies: Goodwill or The Salvation Army. Always in the past I've just called and scheduled a pickup, left my stuff neatly folded in bags in my driveway on the scheduled day, and that was the end of it.

I've been doing my spring cleaning, so I called The Salvation Army to pick up some clothing, only to be told "I'm sorry...we don't do pickups in your area." I got the same thing from Goodwill. In desperation, I called a local aid agency (hoping that, if nothing else, I could find something close enough to DRIVE my donation to), but they're only taking food, and are only open on certain days of the week. I called my church (which has a clothes closet), but they really only have need for men's clothing, and most of what I have is women's and children's stuff. I called the local family shelter, but they don't have a place to store stuff, so they really can't take donations.

There is a Goodwill dropoff a few towns away, but I've seen those places, and they're rarely serviced. Stuff left there will likely be damaged by rain, and anything halfway decent stolen, before it makes it to Goodwill.

So now I have several bags of perfectly serviceable clothing that will likely end up in the dump because I have no place to store it and no charitable agency seems to want it. Is that pathetic, or what?

I was brought up to give to others, and I believe strongly in that, but what in the hell do you do when none of the aid agencies out there seems willing or able to deal with a donation? Heck, three years ago we donated a CAR to Salvation Army, and let me tell you, they had no trouble making it out here to pick THAT up! I swear, I'm tempted to drag the lot of it downtown, toss it out to the "career homeless" on Pacific and say "take what you want and throw away what you don't."

Grrrr...can you tell I'm peeved?

Redwolf
...agus déanfaidh mé do mholadh ar an gcruit a Dhia, a Dhia liom!
emmline

Post by emmline »

We've got a couple organizations that call us on a regular basis to see if we have stuff they can pick up--The Purple Heart is one of those. We are also very near a manned Salvation Army store where I can drop stuff off, which is what I usually do. There is also a large yellow Planet Aid bin at a gas-station I often go to, so there's another option. I guess it just depends on the area.
scottielvr
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by scottielvr »

Odd. Don't know about Goodwill, but I wonder if the little item below could possibly factor into the Salvation Army's new complacency:
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/4006823/
That's billion with a B, y'all.

Goodwill had an attended drop-off station in my local city for a while; I used to drop stuff off there often until -- someone burned it down. (at night; no one there, thank goodness). Unbelievable.
I.D.10-t

Post by I.D.10-t »

I’ll probably look like I am trying to be controversial, but here goes.

Do people need more clothes? I mean years ago clothing was expensive and people use to mend clothing and hand it down to others in the family. Now even modest income people go through a wardrobe without it hurting them economically. Now I know that some people may need such things, but would these places have the resources to find the so few people that need these clothes? (I still mend my own clothing, so I am not trying to say that this is everyone, and not trying to be a snob. This is only what I personally perceive.)

I know part of the mission of places like goodwill is to provide jobs sorting and selling used merchandise, and I knew people that worked at these centers and were provided work because of their mission. A lot of the clothing that they processed went over seas in bails, but it still seemed that there was a never-ending supply of clothing and moor work then they could do the way it is.

Food deteriorates and is not saved in the same way clothing so their will be a continued need, yet it seems that we throw away as much as we consume and have known people that lived off of bakery throw outs for months.

Looking at theft and pawning of things like televisions, it seems that there is a saturation of those to, no one wants them or will buy/sell/steel them because there are so many of them. My last TV was given to me by someone that had bought something bigger/better.

We buy without consuming and saturate the market. That is my thought.

(I thought this thread was going to be about the heads of these places get paid way to much for a “charity”. Glad I was mistaken.)
"Be not deceived by the sweet words of proverbial philosophy. Sugar of lead is a poison."
Lambchop

Post by Lambchop »

Do people need more clothes?
Well, sometimes they do! :wink: If you are homeless or have escaped from a dangerous home situation, you often have only the clothes you're wearing. It's not a question of having MORE clothes, but of having a change of clothes, or--in the case of many hospitalized homeless veterans--of having something to wear at all when they are discharged.

Veterans' aid agencies often take donations of serviceable clothing for homeless veterans.

VA hospitals usually accept donations of clothing, both men's and women's, for veteran patients. They probably would not be able to pick it up, though.

In my area, the abused women's shelter is always happy to have good women's and children's clothing, shoes, toiletries, and things like hair dryers. The homeless shelter here will take literally anything by way of clothing. They'll even take old bath towels, and they're thrilled to get them.
Cotelette d'Agneau
scottielvr

Post by scottielvr »

My area's been hit hard by many factory closings; the big Goodwill store in town, which sells mostly clothing, usually has plenty of cars in the parking lot.

I like Peggy's suggestion about donating clothing to the V.A. Good idea.
susnfx

Post by susnfx »

The big charitable institution here is Deseret Industries - run by the LDS Church. They send tons of clothing overseas - I don't think there could ever be enough. I don't give good used clothing to them intending it to be used by people here in the U.S. as much as I do assuming it will go overseas.

A note, though: Some years ago a friend at work asked us all if we could donate good used clothing to a refugee family they were trying to help. I took in a box of some of the things I no longer wore, but were still in very good condition. He came back the next day and asked if it would be all right if his wife kept some of those things for herself. They were struggling and she had liked some of the clothing. You never know who could use the help.

Susan
Doug_Tipple

Post by Doug_Tipple »

In my small city we have several second-hand stores, including Goodwill, that will accept used clothing. I do have to drive there to make my donation of whatever I have to part with.

With regard to who shops in these stores, the answer is that many people trying to live on jobs in the service industry simply cannot afford to buy clothes for their family at the shopping mall. Whenever I go to the Goodwill store, there are always numerous cars in the parking lot. And on Wednesday, senior citizen day, the parking lot will be crowded.

For myself, I like to purchase used clothing. I can make my limited dollars go a long way, and if you are a saavy shopper, you can find some great buys. For years all of the clothes that I wore to my job at the bank were clothes that I had purchase second hand. People would often compliment me about an item of clothing that I was wearing, such as an expensive looking sport jacket. I would go ahead and tell them that I bought it at the Rescue Mission store for $2. Then we both had a laugh.
BillChin

Post by BillChin »

It is a sign of the times, of the abundance in certain communities. It is also a business decision, it might not be worth it to send a truck out for $50 (or whatever amount) worth of stuff. In my town, the charities are extremely picky about furniture. Only practically brand new furniture will be accepted. If it looks out of style or has a stain or flaw, they don't want it. Again it is a business decision.

I buy a lot of stuff at Goodwill, Salvation Army and similar stores so I know the merchandise well. Some stuff goes begging. I am extremely picky about what I will buy. There are certain items that get snatched up the day they come in, but that is the exception. Goodwill and Salvation Army have edged up their prices, and retail clothing prices have edged down, so that the bargains are not so great anymore unless the item is a high-end name brand.
+ Bill
izzarina

Post by izzarina »

We have a place here called the "Rescue Mission" that usually takes clothing. But lately, it seems they've had a huge glut of it, and they just won't accept any more. They have more than they know what to do with and the vast majority of it ends up in the dump anyway. It's a shame. They also will not pick up if it's clothing for the same reason. But apparently they will if it's furniture or a TV or something like that.
Someday, everything is gonna be diff'rent
When I paint my masterpiece.
chas

Post by chas »

When I was moving, I had some NICE stuff that I just didn't feel like moving. This was in fall 2000. I drove to the local Goodwill and was turned away, with a car full of electronics and other stuff. I did find a Salvation Army that would take it.
Charlie
Whorfin Woods
"Our work puts heavy metal where it belongs -- as a music genre and not a pollutant in drinking water." -- Prof Ali Miserez.
rebl_rn

Post by rebl_rn »

Although they haven't called me in a while, so I don't know if they are still doing it, Easter Seals used to come by my place on a fairly regular basis and do pick ups of clothes and other household items.

In defense of shelters, I work at a homeless shelter once a week, and it gets WAY more clothes than it can manage. Not that people don't need them - when donations come in, they are definitely gone through and needed clothes are very appreciated. But it's a small shelter, and there are only so many families there with only so many people in so many sizes, and so lots of the stuff can't be used. So the shelter manager ends up making runs to Goodwill every few months to get rid of the the excess. If people call ahead and say they want to bring out clothes, they are politely turned down - but many people don't call ahead, and the shelter doesn't turn away those donations.

Another place to think of with clothes is local nursing homes. In many cases, residents don't have family who provide them with enough decent clothes to wear - they either can't (there may be no family) or don't (for whatever reason). Many nursing homes welcome donations of clothes for their less fortunate residents. But they may only want certain types of clothes - slip-on elastic waist pants and loose fitting shirts, for example. Or may be looking for certain sizes. But it doesn't hurt to try there.
Wash your hands. Cough and sneeze in your sleeve. Stay home if you are sick. Stay informed. http://www.cdc.gov/swineflu for more info.
s1m0n

Post by s1m0n »

I think the combination of Walmart and chinese slave labour has done in the thrift-shop business.
And now there was no doubt that the trees were really moving - moving in and out through one another as if in a complicated country dance. ('And I suppose,' thought Lucy, 'when trees dance, it must be a very, very country dance indeed.')

C.S. Lewis
BillChin

Post by BillChin »

s1m0n wrote:I think the combination of Walmart and chinese slave labour has done in the thrift-shop business.
You can add IKEA to the list. A lot of used furniture used to end up with college kids or young people furnishing their first place. Now most young people would prefer IKEA or similar stuff at a bit more money to used items with a dated look.

Even with the influx of cheap clothes, cheap electronics, cheap furniture, thrift stores still do a LOT of business. I heard a rumor that one local thrift store manager makes a six-figure salary. It is a big store with probably 20+ people on staff. If I had to guess, I would estimate annual sales at $5 million per year for that store. Even with all that, I think most customer/donors would be upset if the rumor about the manager's salary turned out to be fact.
+ Bill
Wombat

Re: What is it with charitable organizations these days?

Post by Wombat »

Redwolf wrote:
I was brought up to give to others, and I believe strongly in that, but what in the hell do you do when none of the aid agencies out there seems willing or able to deal with a donation? Heck, three years ago we donated a CAR to Salvation Army, and let me tell you, they had no trouble making it out here to pick THAT up! I swear, I'm tempted to drag the lot of it downtown, toss it out to the "career homeless" on Pacific and say "take what you want and throw away what you don't."

Grrrr...can you tell I'm peeved?

Redwolf
A few years ago when my mother died I had the same problem. If anything, it was worse. Naturally, since I live in another state and have my own things, a lot of very good stuff was available and I had no inclination to hold a garage sale. Right from the outset, the Salvation Army started talking to me not only as though they were doing me the favour but as though I were a freeloader. I got told curtly exactly what they didn't want even before I'd offered it. The Smith Family were just the same.

Gee, I didn't want a medal. All I wanted was politeness and the basic casual thanks you get for picking up a pen someone has dropped.

Finally I placed most things with St. Vincent de Paul. They had that old fashioned amateurishness I like about charitable opportunity shops. They were a complete shambles and I ended up driving most stuff to them although they did pick up the washing machine. They were friendly at all times, even when saying no to something. The odd thing was that stuff that nobody wanted was snapped up by my removalist who collects for charity.