purchasing a flute

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
mBill

purchasing a flute

Post by mBill »

I was wondering what kind of flute i should buy that does not require an incredibly large amount of time to get ahold of.

i am looking for something less than about $700 (US) hopefully and dont need any keys as of yet. i am currently borrowing a G. Schultz flute from my teacher but i really need to get one of my own. It may be (incredibly) difficult to personally visit Ireland seeing that i live in America.

It was suggested that i get on the waiting list for a Sam Murray flute but i have not been able to get ahold of him for prices or to check on the wait. I hear that it is nearly 2 years now and that is really too long for me to wait for my first flute (college). I have played his flutes before and love the tone.

If anyone knows anything about Mr. Murray's waiting list/prices or has another suggestion for something of similar quality i could get in less time i would appriciate it. Also, any information on used flutes ( good quality) would be more than helpful.

thanks
M Bill
Jayhawk
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Well, just trying to update my avatar after a decade. Hope this counts! Ok, so apparently I must babble on longer.

Post by Jayhawk »

Hi mBill and welcome to the board!

There are many makers out there with shorter wait times yet with good quality. I'm not sure what Sam Murray's wait time is or his prices, but you do have other options.

Check out Brad Hurley's site: http://www.firescribble.net/flute/makers.html

You can spend quite some time looking over all sorts of information on Brad's site, including the for sale page! Brad's a boardmember and a nice guy all around despite his spooky avatar...

As you can see from the maker's list, there is no need to travel to Ireland to buy a flute - all makers will ship, and there are lots of US options, too. Try a search on this board and you'll get lots of opinions on each makers quality.

Good luck,

Eric
Doc Jones

Post by Doc Jones »

For less than $700 and a short wait your best bet for a wooden flute is Casey Burns...nice flutes.

You could also get a decent polymer flute in that price range from Desi Seery or Michael Cronnelley (sp?) of M&E flutes.

You coud watch eBay too. Sometimes there's a deal over there.

Have fun. :)

Doc
BrendanB
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by BrendanB »

you may want to check out Eamonn Cotter's flutes. They come in around $700-$800 depending on the Euro and the wait is only three months or so for a keyless.
andrewK

Post by andrewK »

Have you considered buying a very loud keyless Hamilton flute of the sort which is available a little way south of this thread and which can be posted from Scotland without delay for your delectation and early musical developement ?
It will help you to get rid of those dollar thingies before they become completely worthless.
eedbjp
Tell us something.: Been on this forum for many years, just getting back into it agin in 2019.. Tried many flutes and whistles, but keep coming back to the fundamentals!

case burns

Post by eedbjp »

I played the Mopane Casey Burns and thought it was great-Brian
Whistlin'Dixie

Post by Whistlin'Dixie »

Personally, I would second the suggestion of the Hamilton. :D

I know other good options have also been offered.
Let me weigh in on the side of the Ward delrin flute, if you think you want to go non-wood, though. I have one in Eb, and love it! The workmanship is total quality. Mine has silver slide and rings, and sounds wonderful! Check it out at www.wardflutes.com

Mary
chas
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by chas »

Another possibility would be a Copley. I have played a Copley and Schultz side-by-side, and the Copley is an easier flute to play, although I prefer the partially lined head of the Schultz. Loren has listed one recently, and I think another has been listed.

The Hammy may play a little more similarly to the Schultz. They're both big-holed flutes with partially lined heads, although the Hammy will bark somewhat better.
Charlie
Whorfin Woods
"Our work puts heavy metal where it belongs -- as a music genre and not a pollutant in drinking water." -- Prof Ali Miserez.
Wormdiet

Post by Wormdiet »

Here's my $.02 for an M&E Rudall & Rose. I've had it three weeks and can play a lot of tunes on it - first flute too. ~ $450 shipped and you can get it within 2-3 weeks.
OOOXXO
Doing it backwards since 2005.
Cathy Wilde

Post by Cathy Wilde »

I vote for the Hamilton or the Cotter.

(Unless, of course, you can find a used Murray, but I wouldn't risk the wait on a new one right now.)

cheers!
Deja Fu: The sense that somewhere, somehow, you've been kicked in the head exactly like this before.
Markus

Post by Markus »

I second the Hammy. Just got one, and am constantly failing to find words to describe the sound I get from it. Besides being extremely loud (and sweet, when needed), it's also fairly easy to blow - at least when compared to my delrin Seery.

So I think an opportunity to get one without the wait&all should not be missed.

Cheers,

Markus
tin tin
Tell us something.: To paraphrase Mark Twain, a gentleman is someone who knows how to play the spoons and doesn't. I'm doing my best to be a gentleman.

Post by tin tin »

Paddy Ward's flutes have been well received (haven't experienced on myself, though), and would be in your price range.
mBill

Post by mBill »

Thanks for the suggestions! this has been a great help.

is there any where i can find sound samples of the wooden flutes from above? i havent had much of a chance to try anything besides a Murray and a few Seery flutes. i am really looking at wood though.
tin tin
Tell us something.: To paraphrase Mark Twain, a gentleman is someone who knows how to play the spoons and doesn't. I'm doing my best to be a gentleman.

Post by tin tin »

You can find samples of Copley flutes (which are great flutes with a short wait) at the website. Casey Burns may have some samples on his site...not sure about others.
AaronMalcomb

Post by AaronMalcomb »

I PM'd you, M Bill.

Cheers,
Aaron