How long has everyone been at the pipes?

A forum about Uilleann (Irish) pipes and the surly people who play them.
fiddlinviolinin
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

How long has everyone been at the pipes?

Post by fiddlinviolinin »

Not too long for me, about err.. 3 months or so? I'm getting along fine, and I can't wait to get drones! My keyboard does the drones for me for now =P

Anywho, et tu?

Cheers,
Armand
ausdag

Post by ausdag »

Weeell...that depends. I've had my pipes since 1990, and practiced like hell for the first few years plus busked in the mall for about two years. Then by about 1994 I went into a lull and didn't come out of it again till 2004, meaning for about 10 years I only played them for band gigs and hardly did any practice except to polish the 50 or so tunes I did with the band but basically stagnated.

So If you put it all together, I suppose I've only really been 'at' the pipes for about 5-6 years if you would calculate that based on how much practice I do.

Cheers,

DavidG
David (ausdag) Goldsworthy
http://ozuilleann.weebly.com/
myrddinemrys
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Something something Something something Something something Something something Something something Something something Something something Something something.

Post by myrddinemrys »

I built mine 3 years ago, but after being frustrated with my screwup on the drilling, I laid it aside and have recently picked it up again.
Wild Goose Studios Music, reed making and pipe making.
Reepicheep

Post by Reepicheep »

6 weeks...

... and at the rate I am going, I will be able to play like Becky Taylor sometime early in the Third Millenium.
"... when I can swim no longer, if I have not reached Aslan's country, or shot over the edge of the world in some vast cataract, I shall sink with my nose to the sunrise..."
tramaluk

Post by tramaluk »

hi all,
i've been at it for about six months now,my problem is getting the bag pressure correct,at the moment its all right sometimes and sometimes its just not happening,but i started off with a very hard reed ,but i now have a soft one in so over blowing is something i am having a bit of trouble with.but i'm learning all the time
:D :D :D
Joseph E. Smith

Post by Joseph E. Smith »

I've been at it long enough to know better.... :D
Antaine

Post by Antaine »

lol...i've been at it long enuff that I should know better...six years...
{][_||_______||_][___o__o__O___o__O__º__º__]]_]
         \\
           \\
feadogin

Post by feadogin »

People never want to answer this question. :P

I got my practice set 16 years ago, played for about 6 months, then went off to college and didn't play at all for 4 years. After college I took 'em out a few times, mostly for some tionols and classes, but never practiced and never got any better. Then, in the last 2 years or so I finally started practicing and improving and playing regularly, so I consider myself to have been playing for about 2 years.

Justine
David Lim

Post by David Lim »

feadogin wrote:People never want to answer this question. :P

Justine
It can be embarassing if you have played a for a long time, to focus on how little progress has been made.

There's the fire of enthusiasm driving you in the early years, then thing start to come together and you ease off a bit too much. Or work and kids leave you exhausted.

And then there's alway the niggle of "if only I'd practiced for just 45 minutes a day for all those years I'd be a top piper by now. It couldn't have been that hard to find the time?"

For those starting off on the long road I would say keep practicing through those years when your enthusiasm is low, make yourself do it and never forget your dreams. (Sorry, got a bit soppy at the end there).

David
WannabePiper

Post by WannabePiper »

I wish I had been able to spend lots of time practicing. I've been playing very minimally for about 2 1/2 yrs. now, but I probably sound like I've only been going for a couple months. But now I have a silencer like the one Morten made (I'll dub this the "Morten Box). I'm finally getting in some decent late night practice.
rgouette
Tell us something.: “I have told you these things, so that in me you may have peace. In this world you will have trouble. But take heart! I have overcome the world.”

~Jesus of Nazareth

playin for...

Post by rgouette »

Bought practice set in 2001.
Been pokin around on the pipes with no formal instruction since then.
Half set upgrade on order due in 2007.
PJ
Tell us something.: ......................................................................................................

Post by PJ »

Bought my Thompson practice set in late 1996. The reed was incredible stiff. Got terrible pain in both hands from trying to play. In 1999, I went travelling the world for 2 years without my pipes. Moved to Canada in 2001 and found myself completely unemployable - the pipes were my fallback plan. The reed was still terribly stiff. I read somewhere that by scraping the reed I could reduce the stiffness. Messed up badly and ruined the reed - no spare. Joe Kennedy came to the rescue with three lovely reeds (which I'm still playing). Since 2001, I've been playing fairly regularly. If asked how long, I'd have to say 4 years, as from 1996 to 2001 I was merely the owner of a practice set. Last year, I ordered drones from Nick 'the Man' Whitmer and hoping to have them in April.
rebelpiper

Post by rebelpiper »

about 8 1/2 yrs now. i bought my lynch half set from a friend in 1996.
seisflutes

Post by seisflutes »

Just a bit over a year. It's recently started to feel natural and sort of easy, it's very nice, that. Waiting for drones.....
Joseph E. Smith

Post by Joseph E. Smith »

seisflutes wrote:Just a bit over a year. It's recently started to feel natural and sort of easy, it's very nice, that. Waiting for drones.....
Hey, Seis, nice to hear you're flirting with the 'dark side'. Hope all is well. :)