What time do you wake up?

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!

What time do you wake up?

Before 6:00am
45%
6:00-7:59
38%
8:00-9:59
5%
10:00 or after
7%
1:00pm. I'm a loser.
5%

Total votes: 42

Nanohedron
Moderatorer
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Post by Nanohedron »

Oh, about 45 minutes ago. Work late, gig late, kick back late, get up late. My waking day is not improved by early rising, merely lengthened. That is not a Good Thing, as my sleep has been shortened.
Lambchop

Post by Lambchop »

Somewhere between 0430 and 0545 (1.5 hours before I have to be at work).

And I'm a night person. Bleah.

It takes three alarms to get me up. That's how I discovered ITM--I needed something raucous to put in the alarm. No. 1 is ITM. No. 2 beeps, thus spoiling the ITM, so I wake up in order to turn off No. 2 so it doesn't beep. The fail-safe No. 3 is another alarm that plays Ode to Joy, which is aggravatingly cheerful, so I wake up in order to kill that before it begins.

If there is some reason I absolutely must wake up without fail, I have a relative phone me. The humiliation of that is usually enough to ensure that I'm awake in time to call them first.

Don't think I stay awake all day, though. I nap. :wink:
Charlene

Post by Charlene »

The alarm goes off at 6:30 am, I usually listen to the radio a bit then get up and turn on the computer and check e-mail. Meanwhile my husband is getting up and getting ready for work. Our daughter gets up about 7:30. She has to be at school by 8:45, my husband opens his store at 9. If I need the car for the day I go with them, otherwise I take my time about getting dressed. (we are down to just one car - long soap opera there)

Since I quit my job last year and haven't had a paying job since then I don't have to be anywhere at any particular time. I keep so busy around the house, helping my blind friend, and helping my mother-in-law, that I don't know how I ever had time to work before! It's been nice - except for the strain on our bank account.

Usually get to bed by 11:30 pm.
Charlene
Sunnywindo
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Sunnywindo »

Flyingcursor wrote:I used to get really angry when I failed to get up so I used to buy those Big Bend wind up clocks. They were cheap so I could smash them in anger whenever I wanted.

Then I got my first "snooze enabled" clock. I set it for 1/2 hour before zero-hour. Problem mostly solved. I could wake up gradually.

Except that some clock manufacturers put the snooze button right next to the "off" button. I've lost a couple of clocks due to that as well.

*Makes mental note to never, ever make Fly really angry.* :wink:

While I have great asparations of waking up earlier, reality is that I have difficulty getting up much earlier than about 8:00. We continue to work on it though... an aim for the stars, hit the trees sort of thing.

Hubby teases me about my choice in alarm clock settings. It's kinda a weird mental thing. The numbers have to mean something or it bugs me until it is changed.

For example: Can't be 6:00 or 7:00 or 8:30. Has to be 6:06 (reads the same backward or forwards) or 7:11 (like the 7-eleven gas station, connected to a good childhood memory) or 8:25 (8/25 being the month/day of my birthday and 25 is my favorite number... it looks nice and divides so nicely into numbers like 100 or 1000 or 1,000,000,000.)

Then hubby has to set his alarm clock two to three hours before he has to get up... hitting the snooze alarm the entire time. His alarm clock doesn't even phase me anymore after hearing it so much, just sleep right through it. (And he thinks I'm odd. :lol: )

Guess we all have our thing....

:) Sara
'I wish it need not have happend in my time,' said Frodo.
'So do I,' said Gandalf, 'and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us.'

-LOTR-
MikeyLikesIt

Post by MikeyLikesIt »

I usually wake around 11 for class, but when surfing must be done, I'll wake up at around 6 or 7 in the morning. Oh what a hard life.
Jerry Freeman

Post by Jerry Freeman »

Walden wrote:This poll question seems to assume that one has gone to bed to begin with. :)
... or that one actually ever wakes up.

Best wishes,
Jerry
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Post by Nanohedron »

Jerry Freeman wrote:
Walden wrote:This poll question seems to assume that one has gone to bed to begin with. :)

Best wishes,
Jerry
The koan for the day.
Denny

Post by Denny »

Nanohedron wrote:
Jerry Freeman wrote:

Best wishes,
Jerry
The koan for the day.
Nicely done!

I was awake, once, for a little while!

Denny
Nanohedron
Moderatorer

Post by Nanohedron »

Denny wrote:
Nanohedron wrote:
Jerry Freeman wrote: ... or that one actually ever wakes up.

Best wishes,
Jerry
The koan for the day.
Nicely done!

Denny
Me, too. Couldn't take it. :sleep:
Denny

Post by Denny »

Nanohedron wrote:
Denny wrote:
Nanohedron wrote: The koan for the day.
Nicely done!

Denny
Me, too. Couldn't take it. :sleep:
Yep! That was the problem. I felt soooo alone!
Nanohedron
Moderatorer

Post by Nanohedron »

:lol:
jsluder

Post by jsluder »

During the work-week, I get up (but perhaps not wake up) at 4 AM, take the dog for his walk, eat a leisurely breakfast, then shower and go to work. I hate feeling rushed in the morning, and getting up early lets me ease into the day. I often sleep in on weekends, though.
Giles: "We few, we happy few."
Spike: "We band of buggered."
Joseph E. Smith

Post by Joseph E. Smith »

For me, 4 am is the 'usual' time. It takes a whole bunch of coffee/tea to keep me awake though. :D
avanutria
Tell us something.: A long time chatty Chiffer but have been absent for almost two decades. Returned in 2022 and still recognize some names! I also play anglo concertina now.

Post by avanutria »

Flyingcursor wrote:Then I got my first "snooze enabled" clock. I set it for 1/2 hour before zero-hour. Problem mostly solved. I could wake up gradually.
I recommend the Zen Alarm Clock. I had one my final year in college, and it was great. You set it for a time, and at that time it hits a metal rod so it makes a single chiming sound. That's it.

Then a little while later it does it again. And a little while more, again. Each time the intervening silent period gets smaller, kind of a spiral. Eventually, it's chiming fairly evenly...ding.. ding.. ding.. ...and you wander over and turn it off. Ideal because you don't have to move to hit snooze, it automatically snoozes it for you. The whole cycle takes about half an hour I think.

The only thing I didn't like about mine was that the motor (that activated just before the chime was struck) was a bit loud, I am not sure if they're all like that or if I got a bad one.

I found that I was not able to oversleep with it, and I didn't get that *jolt* that comes when a regular alarm clock goes off.
aderyn_du

Post by aderyn_du »

avanutria wrote:
I recommend the Zen Alarm Clock. I had one my final year in college, and it was great. You set it for a time, and at that time it hits a metal rod so it makes a single chiming sound. That's it. .
Oh, cool! I've wanted one of these for so long now... I really should order one. :)
Music melts all the separate parts of our bodies together. ~Anais Nin