when to use piper's grip

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
doran
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

when to use piper's grip

Post by doran »

In a few hours I should have a Shaw whistle in A arriving... should I use the piper's grip or play it like I have played my soprano Ds? In what key do most people begin to change their grip?
"Just called to say I'd be running a little late. My whistle...I had to play it, couldn't help it."
Jennie

Post by Jennie »

I'd say go by feel. Depends on the size of your hands, on what stretch is comfortable for you. I switch to piper's grip sometimes even for my C or Bb whistles, because the RH lower holes feel like too much of a stretch.

It'll definitely take some time to get used to the change. Have fun!
Jennie
TooTs

Post by TooTs »

I use piper grip on the shaw a because the bottom hole is too far too reach comfortably otherwise.
Henke
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by Henke »

Second that you should feel what is best for you. I only play pipers grip on my Low D's, I don't own any middle range (say Low E to Low G) whistles so I don't really know where my limits are. On my Syn A I play normal grip, on my Susato A (which I rarely use after recieving the Syn set) I normaly use a piperish sort of grip, not really pipers but almost, because the holes are big and spaced pretty far on the bottom hand.
I try to play normal grip whenever possible, beacause I feel it's easier to get quick response and higher sensitivity, but when I feel that it becomes uncomfortable or hard to hit the holes accurately I switch to pipers grip.
Jack

Post by Jack »

If one felt it necessary she or he could play soprano D with pipers' grip. I know people who play low D (and low C) with normal fingering. It's all relative. :)
Whistling Willie
Tell us something.: I love whistling and I have been a member of this forum for many years now.I have found it very informative and helpful over the years that I have been here.

Post by Whistling Willie »

I've been trying the pipers grip for a day now,and slowly but surely it's starting to take shape :D
"Obsessed is a word the lazy use to describe the dedicated"
emmline

Post by emmline »

I piper everything, to some extent, from high D to low D. On high D and C I have a largely inactive pinky, but starting with Bb I must pinky the last hole.
Once I had to learn piper's, for my low D, I found that it was more comfortable for me then fingertips regardless of whistle size.

I'm a firm advocate of each pair of hands/whistle combo finding its individual best fit, regardless of what the books say.
piperdoc

Post by piperdoc »

this is so individual. there can be no rule. its the size of your hands, the diameter of the instrument, and even the anatomy of the holes. for example, i pipergrip my copeland low d, but when i try to pipergrip my overton G, the holes do not close well so i fingertip it. i fingertip my olwell bamboo low D (with the grip recommended by gary larson) but my tipple in the same key, because it is slightly larger in diameter, does better with a piper grip.

meir
piperdoc

Post by piperdoc »

this is so individual. there can be no rule. its the size of your hands, the diameter of the instrument, and even the anatomy of the holes. for example, i pipergrip my copeland low d, but when i try to pipergrip my overton G, the holes do not close well so i fingertip it. i fingertip my olwell bamboo low D (with the grip recommended by gary larson) but my tipple in the same key, because it is slightly larger in diameter, does better with a piper grip.

meir
DCrom

Post by DCrom »

And a word of caution: don't be too discouraged if piper's grip feels "wrong" or difficult. When I got my first low whistle (a Dixon Low D Duo with both whistle and flute heads) I tried piper's grip and gave up on it, since it was possible for me to play the Dixon with my fingertips.

My next low whistle was a Serpent Low F, again a very easy reach.

Then came a Howard Low D I borrowed from blackhawk - shock and horror: there was no way I could play this thing - the fingerholes were huge and the reach was too long.

Piper's grip hurt my fingers, and I couldn't seal the holes (I have fairly broad palms, but short skinny fingers) - I figured I'd never be able to play a "real" Low D like the Howard or an Overton. But I loved the sound, and I'm stubborn, so I kept on trying. And somehow made the adjustment.

Now, although it requires a bit more attention (for one thing, holes seal WORSE, not better, when you gip too tightly, and I tend to tighten up without noticing it), I prefer piper's grip for everything below my low A (a Serpent Sunsinger) - it's both easier on my hands and (I think) a bit faster. And I ended up liking the Howard Low D enough I bought it - my Dixon gets played almost exclusively as a flute these days.

The tricks? Relax - the tighter you grip, the more likely you'll have an air leak somewhere. Adjust the angle of your hands until you're comfortable - it may take a while to learn the best position. And (this may be a personal thing) don't put you thumbs opposite your index finger - for me, it works much better when the thumbs are opposite the middle finger.

Mostly, just keep on practicing.
StewySmoot

Post by StewySmoot »

My own experience showed that I was too lax with my fingers and did not cover the holes cleanly. I had to concentrate on getting the proper strength in my thumbs and fingers to slap down on the holes on the low D to produce clean notes. For me it wasnt a tension issue at all, but "body building".

I also favor tunable whistles since I play out the side of my mouth and I can pivot the body of the thing to accommodate my hands more comfortably. This is a subject I cover in-depth in my soon-to-be-released Smoot's Comprehensive Review of the Kerry Whistle.
<a href="http://www.whistletotheworld.com/" target="_blank"> Whistle to the World</a>
Helping underprivileged kids learn music via the Irish Whistle.
bjs

Post by bjs »

Pipers grip has the advantage of not dropping the whistle when playing C#
Brian
NicoMoreno
Tell us something.: I just wanted to update my location... 100 characters is a lot and I don't really want to type so much just to edit my profile...

Post by NicoMoreno »

No it doesn't! That's just plain silly.
KDMARTINKY

Post by KDMARTINKY »

I actually use the pipers grip on every whistle I play. But I do agree that the grip is up to each individual.
Keith

Bionn dha insint ar sceal agus leagon deag ar amhran
There are two versions of every story and twelve of every song
NicoMoreno
Tell us something.: I just wanted to update my location... 100 characters is a lot and I don't really want to type so much just to edit my profile...

Post by NicoMoreno »

No it doesn't! That's just plain silly.