What is your opinion on uniqueness?

A forum about Uilleann (Irish) pipes and the surly people who play them.
Jonathan
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Have played Irish traditional music >15 yrs. Flute, pipes, guitar.
I've taught music in Austin since 2011 or so.

Post by Jonathan »

PJ wrote:That's nice. I presume some sort of treatment has to be applied to the spalted wood to ensure it doesn't continue to rot.
I'm pretty sure that if it's kiln dried or even air dried, the fungus stops growing. Correct me if I'm wrong! :)
Uilliam
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Uilliam »

All this energy being expanded talking about something which is largely out of view under your arm seems pretty unique to me :roll: :roll:
Uilliam
If ye are intersted in helping our cause to cure leprosy feel free to PM me.
Jim
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by Jim »

CJ,
I've been using highly figured wood on my bellows exclusively. I just think it looks better. I've made three in birdseye maple for members of the forum and they all liked the effect. This was the last one:

I have a piece of Afican Mahagony that is absolutely fantastic, but I'm concerned about structural strength with the wavey grain pattern. I'll be laminating the Mahagony to a piece of 1/8"ply for strength. This should also work if you think the wood is to porous or brittle.

A lot of work for something you stick under your arm.....yes. But they don't have to look like they could be used in a forge.
Jim
Patrick D'Arcy
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by Patrick D'Arcy »

Here's a Michael Hubbert bellows in tiger striped maple (I think) and some European box and African horn on the inlet valve:
PD.
djm

Post by djm »

I can't find an emoticon for <drool>.

djm
I'd rather be atop the foothills than beneath them.
CJ DIXON

Post by CJ DIXON »

Wonderful feedback all, thank you. Any bellows that would be fabricated would of course be consistent with regard to airtightness and functionality. It seems that uniqueness indeed plays a very influencing role when purchasing an Uilleann component. If the choice is given between two components that are equal with regard to quality, functionality and/or tone and one is made in a way, whether it be materials or design, that is unlike any other, the tendency to purchase the unique would be high. Would this be a correct statement?

All the best,
CJ
CJ Dixon Celtic Instruments
www.cjdixon.com
CJ DIXON

Post by CJ DIXON »

I am going to make a bellows out of the spalted Maple in the near future. I will post a picture here of it when it is completed.

Slainte,
CJ
www.cjdixon.com
PJ
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: ......................................................................................................

Post by PJ »

Looking forward to seeing it.

By the way, I've just managed to mop up all the drool off my keyboard after looking at Gil Hocker's engraved full set. It has redefined the word 'unique'.
Kevin L. Rietmann

Post by Kevin L. Rietmann »

Eh, you guys are quite flash, ain'tcha? I agree with Uilliam for once: it's just a pump. Not exactly critical matters.
John Pedersen used to make bellows with a Celtic cross type engraving in the face. Some old sets had parquetry of snails, roses, that kind of schtuff. Maybe I'd be up for an inlay of the SubGenius or something. I saw a bit of spalted maple once that had an image of the Virgin Mary blowing chunks...
Uilliam

Post by Uilliam »

Kevin L. Rietmann wrote:Eh, you guys are quite flash, ain'tcha? I agree with Uilliam for once: it's just a pump. Not exactly critical matters.

I saw a bit of spalted maple once that had an image of the Virgin Mary blowing chunks...
:lol:

Actually Kevin I agree with quite a lot of what ye say including this of course,but we we wouldna want to be accused of being pedantic killjoys and stopping people drooling over clapperboards or engraving on sets et all would we now ...no no no, :roll: Agreed???
Slán Agat
Uilliam
Last edited by Uilliam on Sat Mar 12, 2005 7:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
If ye are intersted in helping our cause to cure leprosy feel free to PM me.
liestman
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by liestman »

CJ and all,

Here is a photo of my two favorite bellows. They are for Northumbrians but also have worked well for uilleanns as they are larger than typical. The left is Canadian spalted maple. The right is ebony. Ebony is a little heavy, but it matches the rest of the set and is unique in its own way. For all my bellows I laminate the purdy wood onto aircraft birch plywood so that there is no problem with leaky woods and also to conserve the nice wood. (Even so, the ebony bellows is kinda heavy!)

Cheers.

yer friend and mine,
John Liestman
Joseph E. Smith

Post by Joseph E. Smith »

Nice work Mr. Liestman. :)
rorybbellows
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by rorybbellows »

In my opinion the uniqueness should come not from the materials but how they are used .I think it would be a crime to take a beautiful piece of wood and nail leather to it with uphostery nails
Remember you are making bellows for musicians not blacksmiths

RORY
Jim McGuire

Post by Jim McGuire »

Parts in almost every manufacturing endeavor, from pipes to electronics, is a small part of the overall product with labor being 80-90%. So, selecting different woods for bellows seems to be perfectly appropriate and well within reason. Sourcing parts like wood with the internet seems 'easier' than ever compared to, say, twenty years ago.

Someone eventually will add 100 hours of carving or whatever to one set of bellows and that's OK for them to do that, too. People always linger over my Taylor bellows. Go figure.
CJ DIXON

Post by CJ DIXON »

Very nice Spalted Maple you have there Mr. Liestman.

All the best,
CJ
www.cjdixon.com