What is your opinion on uniqueness?

A forum about Uilleann (Irish) pipes and the surly people who play them.
CJ DIXON
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

What is your opinion on uniqueness?

Post by CJ DIXON »

I have aquired several species of unique woods recently (Birdseye Maple, Spalted Maple, Spalted Birch) and was wondering what the interest or opinion is for using these types as bellows cheeks? In addition, how much does adding a unique flavor weigh in the decision making process when purchasing a bellows or Uilleann pipes in general?

All the best,
CJ
CJ Dixon Celtic Instruments
www.cjdixon.com
Joseph E. Smith
antispam: No

Re: What is your opinion on uniqueness?

Post by Joseph E. Smith »

CJ DIXON wrote:I have aquired several species of unique woods recently (Birdseye Maple, Spalted Maple, Spalted Birch) and was wondering what the interest or opinion is for using these types as bellows cheeks? In addition, how much does adding a unique flavor weigh in the decision making process when purchasing a bellows or Uilleann pipes in general?

All the best,
CJ
Personally, I like the look of birdseye maple for bellows cheeks. The particular look of any hardwood plays an important role in my choosing what I want my pipes/bellows to be made out of... but the wood in question has to be suitable for bellows/pipemaking.
Cayden

Post by Cayden »

I am not sureabout unique: Geoff Wooff has been using spalted beech and ash for a long time. If the patterns work out nicely it's great but it isn't always.
djm

Post by djm »

I think the birch might not have the strength to last. With splated woods you want to make sure you seal the wood on the inside of the bellows (polyurethane would work) as it is sometimes full of holes along the spalt lines. A good looking wood is pleasing, but would not be the first buying factor for me. I would be more concerned about the air-tightness of the leather work and the type of hinge.

djm
I'd rather be atop the foothills than beneath them.
Antaine

Post by Antaine »

djm wrote:... and the type of hinge.

djm
interesting. what role(s) would having say a metal hinge, vs a leather hinge, vs no hinge at all play for you?
{][_||_______||_][___o__o__O___o__O__º__º__]]_]
         \\
           \\
Cayden

Post by Cayden »

djm wrote: A good looking wood is pleasing, but would not be the first buying factor for me. I would be more concerned about the air-tightness of the leather work and the type of hinge.

djm
But once all functions are in place it's nice to have a good looking wood. geoff did mine in Zebrano, which beats the spalted woods he is using now by a mile.
Jonathan
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Have played Irish traditional music >15 yrs. Flute, pipes, guitar.
I've taught music in Austin since 2011 or so.

Re: What is your opinion on uniqueness?

Post by Jonathan »

CJ DIXON wrote:I have aquired several species of unique woods recently (Birdseye Maple, Spalted Maple, Spalted Birch) and was wondering what the interest or opinion is for using these types as bellows cheeks? In addition, how much does adding a unique flavor weigh in the decision making process when purchasing a bellows or Uilleann pipes in general?

All the best,
CJ

Spalted maple would look schweet. djm, I was kind of thinking the same thing as you about the spalted wood. Would it be airtight? I dunno. I got a board of birdseye maple a few months ago that I'm planning on using to make a set of bellows. The way I see it, if the wood has a more striking appearance than your standard cherry or oak, then why not use it as long as its functional.

hasta luego
djm

Post by djm »

Absolutely agree - once the fundamentals are in place, a figured wood is very easy on the eyes. Joe Kennedy was doing some in Australian lacewood for a while. He keeps switching, so I never know what he's going to come up with next. Mine are in a rich, dark walnut, which is not so fancy, but very warm.

djm
I'd rather be atop the foothills than beneath them.
Tony
Tell us something.: I used to play pipes about 20 years ago and suddenly abducted by aliens.
Not sure why... but it's 2022 and I'm mysteriously baack...

Post by Tony »

I haven't heard the term spalted before. Is that the same as figured?

from this website:
http://wood-veneers.com/samples/
Tony
Tell us something.: I used to play pipes about 20 years ago and suddenly abducted by aliens.

Post by Tony »

I'm currently working on a kitchen in highly figured curly maple...
Hmmm, I could veneer laminate my existing bellows and stain it to match the rest of the set.
Tony

Post by Tony »

Research on spalted...

from this website:
http://www.edromanguitars.com/wood/spalted.htm
Joseph E. Smith

Post by Joseph E. Smith »

That is a pretty cool application of spalted wood... me want... me want bad.
Jonathan
Tell us something.: Have played Irish traditional music >15 yrs. Flute, pipes, guitar.

Post by Jonathan »

Tony wrote:I haven't heard the term spalted before. Is that the same as figured?

from this website:
http://wood-veneers.com/samples/
It's basically wood that has started to rot. The dark lines in it are caused by fungus and whatnot. The trick is to get it before the cellular structure (or whatever you call it) starts to break down. And of course you would want a respirator mask and good air filtration when working with it. :o
Jonathan

Post by Jonathan »

[/quote]
The trick is to get it before the cellular structure (or whatever you call it) starts to break down. [/quote]

That is, if you're actually going out and hunting for it yourself. :lol: You can, of course, buy quality chunks of it that are pre-seasoned from any number of wood suppliers.
PJ
Tell us something.: ......................................................................................................

Post by PJ »

That's nice. I presume some sort of treatment has to be applied to the spalted wood to ensure it doesn't continue to rot.

CJ, for your market research, I'd certainly be drawn to bellows made of spalted wood, although cost would be an issue. My own opinion on uniqueness is this - when you've reached a certain level in the art, you can do what you want and people will call it genius. Innovation is breaking the rules and getting away with it.