Hard case for whistles

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
vomitbunny
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by vomitbunny »

These work very well. I have a similar one with more padding and a place for music. From the same place . http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/D ... mber=35900
My opinion is stupid and wrong.
chattiekathy
Tell us something.: Well dang, I just want to change my password. looking for that correct page! Thank you! Ohh good grief, I get it, you have to be careful who you let in because of spammers, but sigh.... I'm in a hurry, can we move this along please. :)

Post by chattiekathy »

Have your son-in-law make you one! :D

Cheers,
Kathy :)
~*~Creativity is God's gift to you. What you do with it is your gift to God~*~
Jack
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Jack »

chattiekathy wrote:Have your son-in-law make you one! :D

Cheers,
Kathy :)
Paul Busman is your son-in-law? I love it!
chattiekathy
Tell us something.: Well dang, I just want to change my password. looking for that correct page! Thank you! Ohh good grief, I get it, you have to be careful who you let in because of spammers, but sigh.... I'm in a hurry, can we move this along please. :)

Post by chattiekathy »

:lol:
~*~Creativity is God's gift to you. What you do with it is your gift to God~*~
Jasonparker100

Cases

Post by Jasonparker100 »

I had this problem and the only thing I could find which would take my low d and the other high whistles was a hard snooker/pool cue case. Everything else which was long enough was too bulky, but this fits great and also locks too with aluminium corners. It cost me £40 or approx €75 but considering what it was protecting I thought it was worth it.

Good luck! :)
"One thing at a time"
LeeMarsh

Post by LeeMarsh »

Depending on the number of whistles and tubular instruments, you might want to consider one of the smaller or larger size cue cases (as in pool Cue) Here's a link to examples of the types of hard cases availables - <a href=http://www.cuestore.com/groups/dealer_1.html>Dealer Cases </a> or <a href=http://www.cuestore.com/groups/hardcase_1.html>Smaller hard cases</a>.

I have one of the 3 channel cases simular to the <a href=http://www.cuestore.com/cases/4108.html>1B2S case by Schmelke</a> it fits my Overton low-D, Low-F and 2-3 soprano whistles. The case is considered a 1 plus size hard case. Here's a picture.
A 6 stick hard case would have 12 channels with a mix of widths to accomodate the butt and tip sections of the cues.

You can check out more cue case options through a yahoo search for "pool cue case" and get links like Here's a picture of a Sterling 10 cue case:

Hope this helps you ...
Enjoy Your Music,
Lee Marsh
From Odenton, MD.
slowair

Post by slowair »

This thread got me thinking about what I carry around. I've got nearly $1,000 worth of whistles in a cheap, unpadded bag. Just someone sitting on it would mean disaster.
Someone mentioned a small price to pay to protect my investment. After reading that I realized I wanted something a lot more sturdy, so I went to eBay and found the following pistol case. With shipping, the total came to just under $45. Small price for insurance. And the thing is pretty big. I'll be able to fit all but my flute in it.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... 7137382891

Mike
Cynth

Post by Cynth »

I made a case with several layers of cardboard tubes left over from wrapping paper. It is real ugly. One question about cases---do people worry about them being air tight so that moisture cannot evaporate from the whistle if you put it in right after playing it? I put my brass whistle in the plastic soft case that came with it and the moisture made deposits on the brass that looked as though corrosion might eventually take place. I don't know anything about the properties of brass or saliva. Maybe the moisture is no problem, but I made my case out of cardboard so that water could evaporate through it.
IrishLass

Post by IrishLass »

Well, I ended up finding a nice wood and "faux" leather box with a velvet-type lining at Gordman's for $12.99. It has a hinged lid, and a brass catch to close the box. It is the perfect length, and I am going to add a handle and foam to protect my whistles. I will try to post a picture once I have it completed. I tried to find a wine box as Cranberry had suggested, but that proved to be rather difficult to find something with a hinged lid that wasn't huge. The case I bought will look like a nice old-fashioned instrument case when I am finished with it, so I am very happy with my purchase. :D
lixnaw

Post by lixnaw »

my new Jerry Tweaked Clarke C arrived this morning :party:

a very nice surprise too that it arrived with a free very handy, see-through hardcase!!
thanks very much Jerry and bigwhistle uk!
BillChin

Post by BillChin »

Cynth wrote:I made a case with several layers of cardboard tubes left over from wrapping paper. It is real ugly. One question about cases---do people worry about them being air tight so that moisture cannot evaporate from the whistle if you put it in right after playing it? I put my brass whistle in the plastic soft case that came with it and the moisture made deposits on the brass that looked as though corrosion might eventually take place. I don't know anything about the properties of brass or saliva. Maybe the moisture is no problem, but I made my case out of cardboard so that water could evaporate through it.
Yes, moisture build up can be a problem. A friend uses a hard briefcase for his instruments. He seems to have a lot more clogging problems than I do. I use a soft cloth case that breaths. I attribute part of the difference to build up of moisture because the instruments stored in the briefcase never get to dry out. Washing my whistles with hot soapy water also seems to help with clogging.

I also use leftover tubes from various sources to hold my whistles at home on a shelf area. It is not pretty, but it is functionable. The setup reminds me a make-do wine rack. Someone else suggested home storage using CD-R spindles, the 100 size being best.
+ Bill
Cynth

Post by Cynth »

Thanks Bill. I have been doing the soapy water thing too, although I use cold water.
slowair

Post by slowair »

The hard shell case I ordered has finally arrived.

I like it. It should really protect my collection. It's pretty big too. People are gonna wonder what I'm carrying into session. :boggle:

You can find these on eBay for $35 + s/h. Search for "6 hand gun aluminum case". There's always one on there. No bidding, just Buy It Now.