Thoughts on Belgium

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
OnTheMoor
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Thoughts on Belgium

Post by OnTheMoor »

Anyone have any thoughts on Belgium as a tourist destination?
Considering taking a trip t the end of this semester and Belgium seemed
like an interesting place to head off to. Beer for me and WW1 battle sites for my girlfriend. So does anyone have any advice on where to go, what to see, doing things on the cheap, or even whether to go or head somewhere else?
Thanks,
Brian
Brigitte
antispam: No

Post by Brigitte »

Nice, little country. You certainly have to visit Brugge, Leuwen, Antwerpen and cities like this with old town centeres, incredible architecture. Brugge is fantastic to walk through at night. What you may also find interesting is that within a few hours drive you can be in the Netherlands, France or even Germany and get some more impressions of the "3-Laender-eck" (three country-corner) and see straight away differences in the archetectural cultures of the neighbouring countries.

http://www.visitbelgium.com/

http://www.belgique-tourisme.net/

http://www.visitflanders.com/

http://www.brugge.be/

http://www.tourisme-roman-pais.be/

That is what I found in a rush but still plenty to read and get an idea.

Enjoy your travel!
Brigitte
Wenn die Klügeren nachgeben,
regieren die Dummköpfe die Welt.
(Jean Claude Riber)
OnTheMoor

Post by OnTheMoor »

Great! Thanks Brigitte. What about language? I speak french canadian, but can you get by with English in the Flemish and German regions?
Goldie

Post by Goldie »

Brian,
you should have no problems in getting by with French and English, from what I know most people in Belgium speak French and/or English as second/third languages. In the Netherlands French and English and German are spoken A LOT and in Germany you get by with English even some of the older people speak surprisingly good English. The French obviously speak French so you would have lots less problems than we had a couple of years ago when only being able to speak English and German in Brittany :lol: .

Brigitte

oops.... I used the wrong login.....
chas
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by chas »

Belgium simply has the best beer on the face of the earth (chocolate, too if you're into that). I could live on Hoegaarden; even the Guinness that I had in an "Irish pub" was among the best Guinness I've had. I only stayed in Antwerp when I was there. Most of the people dealing with the public spoke English. Some in the smaller restaurants and shops didn't, nor did many of those speak French.
Charlie
Whorfin Woods
"Our work puts heavy metal where it belongs -- as a music genre and not a pollutant in drinking water." -- Prof Ali Miserez.
brewerpaul

Post by brewerpaul »

Charlie Papazian, homebrewing guru, calls Belgium the "Disneyland of Beer". No other country of any size has originated such a large and unique variety of styles. Yes, they make some conventional ones, but the Lambics, Belgian Strong Ales, Abbey Ales, etc, etc. are simply astounding. My favorite beer in the world is Duvel.
Ya gotta love a country that produces a beer called Delerium Tremens!
Got wood?
http://www.Busmanwhistles.com
Let me custom make one for you!
DCrom

Post by DCrom »

Brigitte, thanks for reminding me of the Belgian architecture - though I've always wanted to visit just for the beer, my non-drinking wife has always wanted to know what *else* there is to see there. :lol:

Though it looks like our first family trip to Europe will be limited to the British Isles, I have hopes for a return visit someday. (I've been to Europe many times on business, but this summer - the last before daughter #1 leaves for University - will be the first time time with the family).

The problem is there are so *many* places I'd like to see: the Low Countries, Germany (I want to see Munich in the summer - only been there in January), Brittany and Normandy, Stockholm and the rest of southern Sweden, Denmark, Spain, Italy. Of course, several weeks rambling around Ireland would be nice, as would a walking tour of England.

It looks like I need to figure how to retire early. And rich. Ideas, anyone? :twisted:
OnTheMoor

Post by OnTheMoor »

Thanks for the info on languages. For whatever reason languages bother me more than anything else when I travel, the fear of being an obvious tourist I suppose.

Guess what! 2005 has been declared the Year of Beer in Belgium! An entire year for celebrating Belgian brew! Tastings, free tours, exhibits allover the country! It'll be great.

It looks like our trip has been expanded somewhat. According to my girlfriend, Luxembourg and the Netherlands have been added to our adventure. I can't argue. Luxembourg is a place I've always wanted to go. Somewhere that doesn't seem to be worth planning a whole trip around, but great to get over there somehow.

You can come too DCrom, pretend you're a student again, it'll be fun. :P
Jack

Post by Jack »

Are the Belgians not, because they share a border with the Dutch, the ones who made Dr. Evil evil?
DCrom

Post by DCrom »

OnTheMoor wrote: You can come too DCrom, pretend you're a student again, it'll be fun. :P
Don't tempt me! :lol:

But I'll have to make do with England, Ireland, and Scotland this time around. Pity me. :twisted:
jim stone

Post by jim stone »

I traveled in Belgium, in fact stayed with relatives there,
and I confess that, while it looked like a fine place
to live, other places interested me more. FWIW.
glauber

Post by glauber »

Cranberry wrote:Are the Belgians not, because they share a border with the Dutch, the ones who made Dr. Evil evil?
I see we were watching the same movie! :)

Probably for no reason at all, Douglas Adams used the word Belgium in place of the "F word" (e.g. you better not Belgium this screenplay).
On the Internet, nobody knows you're a dog!
--Wellsprings--
Jack

Post by Jack »

glauber wrote:
Cranberry wrote:Are the Belgians not, because they share a border with the Dutch, the ones who made Dr. Evil evil?
I see we were watching the same movie! :)

Probably for no reason at all, Douglas Adams used the word Belgium in place of the "F word" (e.g. you better not Belgium this screenplay).
I overheard those few minutes, and immediately thought of this thread. It was the first time I'd ever heard it. :P

P.S., I love Fat basmati's vagina neck. It's so precious. :lol:
claudine
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Hi, I am a choir singer from Luxembourg trying to get back to Irish flute playing after a few years of absence from ITM.

Post by claudine »

If you want to visit Luxembourg, these links might be interesting. Language: French should get you anywhere.

http://www.lcto.lu/html_en/sites_attrac ... _view.html

http://www.castle-vianden.lu/english/index.html
Roger O'Keeffe

Post by Roger O'Keeffe »

In Flanders (the northern half of the country) you're better off speaking English, Flemings can get annoyed at the assumption made by foreigners that they are French-speakers.

Canadians featured prominently in what I think was the second battle of Ypres, when they were among the victims of the first use of gas in war.

When are you thinking of travelling?

I've been very busy lately and haven't been around C&F, but will try to come back to this thread. If you haven't heard from me here in the next few weeks, drop me a PM after Easter if that's not too late.
An Pluiméir Ceolmhar