'hanly's tweed' reel

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
rama
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: flute itm flute, interested in the flute forum for discussions and the instrument exchange forum to buy and sell flutes

'hanly's tweed' reel

Post by rama »

anyone play the reel 'hanly's tweed', a compostion by paddy o'brien?
kenny
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

fairly common

Post by kenny »

Off the top of my head, the following musicians have recorded it: Brian Finnegan, Michael McGoldrick, Claire Mann, Leo McCann, and "Fisherstreet". A good tune, and it would seem to be much favoured by flute/whistle players. So the answer is "yes".
David Levine

Hanley's Tweed

Post by David Levine »

Hey Rama Lama, I play it. It is a lovely tune, as are most of Paddy's tunes: Iniscealtra, Townteine, Ormond Sound, Banks of the Ilen, The One that was Lost (Liam Lewis told me that the last title refered to a big fish that got away).
Toot on. See, I'm still here.
Time will tell who has fell and who's been left behind,
Most likely you'll go your way, I'll go mine.
johnkerr

Re: Hanley's Tweed

Post by johnkerr »

David Levine wrote:Hey Rama Lama, I play it. It is a lovely tune, as are most of Paddy's tunes: Iniscealtra, Townteine, Ormond Sound, Banks of the Ilen, The One that was Lost (Liam Lewis told me that the last title refered to a big fish that got away).
Toot on. See, I'm still here.
Paddy O'Brien (Nenagh) wrote Banks of the Ilen (the one usually played with Scartaglen)? I didn't know that. I'll have to look in my Paddy O'Brien tune book and see if it's there...
kenny

you sure?

Post by kenny »

Paddy O'Brien composed "The Banks Of The Ilen" ? First time I've heard that claim. What's the proof, please?
Cayden

Post by Cayden »

Banks of the Ilen is in O Neill's as is it's jig form The Humours of Drinagh, very unlikely POB got it in pre-natal.
bradhurley

Re: Hanley's Tweed

Post by bradhurley »

David Levine wrote:The One that was Lost (Liam Lewis told me that the last title refered to a big fish that got away).
The story I heard of "The One That Was Lost" was that it was a tune he'd composed and forgotten, and then when he remembered it again he called it "the one that was lost."

Hanly's Tweed and Ormond Sound are pretty similar in structure, especially in the turn, and I'm always amazed at people who can play those two together in one set without getting mixed up.

Town Teine is a brilliant tune, not often played but it should be, it's one of my all-time favorite reels. Larry Gavin's Favourite ("Lar's Favourite") is another one brilliant one.
rama
Tell us something.: flute itm flute, interested in the flute forum for discussions and the instrument exchange forum to buy and sell flutes

Post by rama »

yeah, he's got a bunch of 'keepers' alright, not a bum in the lot!

on 'hanly's tweed' ...how's the last couple of bars of the 'a' part suppose to go? i guess it's the same ending for the 'b' part as well, but i've heard it played a couple of different ways. so i was wondering if there's a definitive or more common way to play those couple of bars.
bradhurley

Post by bradhurley »

rama wrote:yeah, he's got a bunch of 'keepers' alright, not a bum in the lot!

on 'hanly's tweed' ...how's the last couple of bars of the 'a' part suppose to go? i guess it's the same ending for the 'b' part as well, but i've heard it played a couple of different ways. so i was wondering if there's a definitive or more common way to play those couple of bars.
Well, if you consider the book (The Compositions of Paddy O'Brien) as the "definitive" source), the last two bars of the turn go like this (bearing in mind that my abc skills are rudimentary at best...the notes will be correct but can't vouch for the timing):

agab g2 ag edBA BGG2 BedBA

-Brad
rama

Post by rama »

bradhurley wrote:
rama wrote:yeah, he's got a bunch of 'keepers' alright, not a bum in the lot!

Well, if you consider the book (The Compositions of Paddy O'Brien) as the "definitive" source), the last two bars of the turn go like this (bearing in mind that my abc skills are rudimentary at best...the notes will be correct but can't vouch for the timing):

agab g2 ag edBA BGG2 BedBA

-Brad
i suppose you can't get much more definite than that!
thanks brad, that was how i had sort of 'heard it' first, and then hearing it played another way later on, got me more confused than i already am.
i am finally getting around to learning the whole tune thru and thru. i used to sort of halfass it before.
interesting, i find some of paddy o's tunes turn and twist a little different than how i would anticpate or expect them to until i listen to them enough times to let them sink in. and so i only grabbed hold of a few of them. fun tunes though. i hope to finally nail this one down.

i finally worked thru another reel, called 'the fisherman's harvest', lovely tune. anyone play it? (not a paddy o tune , at least i don't think so)
djm

Post by djm »

I have been trying to find a copy of "The Compositions of Paddy O'Brien" but either no-one stocks it, or it is out of print. Does anyone know where I might find a copy?

Thx,

djm
I'd rather be atop the foothills than beneath them.
mimcgann

Post by mimcgann »

To get the book, try Cranford Publications in Canada--look under "Irish Music":

<http://www.cranfordpub.com/prices_terms ... k%20prices>

Guess you can order on line, though I've just called the guy in the past.

BTW, love Paddy's Coming of Spring, which I like to put with Apples in Winter--a weather transition, though backwards.

Mike