cassette tape funerals

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
Flyingcursor
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: This is the first sentence. This is the second of the recommended sentences intended to thwart spam its. This is a third, bonus sentence!

Post by Flyingcursor »

Charlene wrote:Most of my 45s still have the plastic adaptor dohicky in the middle.

I felt really old when I asked my daughter something about her "records" and she rolled her eyes and said, "Mom, they're CDs!"
Can I have one? I can't find mine and they bring tears of nostalgia to my eyes.
I'm no longer trying a new posting paradigm
dubhlinn

Post by dubhlinn »

I have a box lying around somewhere with about thirty C-90 tapes in it. Each tape I compiled myself for a walkman I used to wear on my way to and from work,a journey of about twenty minutes each way.I never labeled the tapes in anyway so it was pure chance what I would hear as soon as I locked the door behind me in the mornings.
I never used more than one track per artist on each tape so it was a constant parade of surprises every day.
It can be very helpful when waiting on the elevator at 5:30 a.m. to know that "everything is gonna be all right", according to Bob Marley or sometimes ,weaving through the traffic - I cycle there and back - it can be very inspirational to know " I'm goin'down the road to see Bessie.."when the Basement Tape track kicks in.....

Slan,
D.
And many a poor man that has roved,
Loved and thought himself beloved,
From a glad kindness cannot take his eyes.

W.B.Yeats
rebl_rn

Post by rebl_rn »

The first LP I owned was "Sesame Street Fever" - I was about 7, I think. It had Grover on the cover with a white suit in the classic disco pose. I loved that album. The second one was my sister's hand-me-down of the Bay City Rollers. I loved the song "Rock and Roll Love Letter".

The first cassette I bought was Huey Lewis and News' Sports. I had a massive crush on Huey Lewis when I was a teenager. Don't ask me why.

I also had a crush on David Hasselhoff. :boggle: I obviously had no taste. I'm so embarrassed. :oops:

Beth
Wash your hands. Cough and sneeze in your sleeve. Stay home if you are sick. Stay informed. http://www.cdc.gov/swineflu for more info.
Whistling Willie
Tell us something.: I love whistling and I have been a member of this forum for many years now.I have found it very informative and helpful over the years that I have been here.

Post by Whistling Willie »

1st single: Elvis,Wooden heart :oops:
1st album: Elvis,Return To Sender :oops:
1st cassette: Twisted Sister
1st CD: Terence Trent D'arby
"Obsessed is a word the lazy use to describe the dedicated"
Doug_Tipple
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by Doug_Tipple »

I have so many cassete tapes that I recorded from the radio, that I still find myself listening to them quite a bit. With the auto-reverse function on modern tape players, some of my tapes play for hours before I finally get tired of hearing the same tunes over and over.

When I was a kid, we had a large console Philco record player that would only play 78 rpm records. In high school in the 50's I first got a small record player that would play 45 rpm records. You didn't need an adapter because it had a fat spindle and would only play the small 45 rpm records, usually of only one tune per side. I remember listening to Johnnie Cash's "I walk the line" over and over. My two brothers, who shared the same small bedroom, were sick of it, I am sure. But I was the oldest, and might sometimes makes right. However, I don't take the same viewpoint when it comes to the current geopolitical situation.
Flyingcursor
Tell us something.: This is the first sentence. This is the second of the recommended sentences intended to thwart spam its. This is a third, bonus sentence!

Post by Flyingcursor »

1st record: Huckleberry Hound, Quikdraw McGraw, Yogi Bear: "We Three Believe in Safety". Maybe. It might have been another one about "Saggy Baggy the Elephant".

1st Album: One of Herman's Hermits. The one with "Leaning on the Lampost" and "Dandy".

Childhood favorites: "Behind the Green Door", "Mockingbird Hill", "Walk in the Black Forest" and my favorite, "Snoopy vs the Red Baron". I used to run around the room acting out the song. What a nerd. :roll:

I owe my passion for military history to Snoopy!!!
I'm no longer trying a new posting paradigm
cowtime
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by cowtime »

The first record I ever bought was the Beatles "brown" album. Before they signed with Capitol. It's a Vee-Jay label and worth a bunch. :D

I've got so many 45s it's scary. Yeh, got the adaptors too, and a turn table, and an 8 track player with a bunch of them, mostly Janis Joplin and Jethro Tull. Heck, I've even got an old Victrola in the living room, inherited from the in-laws. It was listed in a 1928 tax list we found here in the house seperately- contents of house valued at $25 - the Victrola at $15!
About 20 years ago I bought a whole box of 78s that were still in the paper wrappers- bunch of old Carter family records in that box. My favorite and the one that stays on the old crank turntable is "Old Black Joe".
"Let low-country intruder approach a cove
And eyes as gray as icicle fangs measure stranger
For size, honesty, and intent."
John Foster West
izzarina

Post by izzarina »

Flyingcursor wrote:1st Album: One of Herman's Hermits.
Herman's Hermits! Here's a ditty that'll be in your head all day long!
I'm Henry the eighth I am
Henry the eighth I am, I am
I got married to the widow next door
She's been married seven times before
And every one was an Henry (Henry)
She wouldn't have a Willy or a Sam (no Sam)
I'm her eighth old man, I'm Henry
Henry the eighth I am

Second verse same as the first
:D
Someday, everything is gonna be diff'rent
When I paint my masterpiece.
missy

Post by missy »

I saw Herman's Hermits perform at the Ohio State Fair when I was 6 years old!! :o

Missy
Missy

"When facts are few, experts are many"

http://www.strothers.com
Charlene

Post by Charlene »

"Henry the VIII" was a question on Jeopardy on the Tournament of Champions last night!

I was about 11 when that came out. Used to sing along whenever it was on the radio. Never bought the record though.
Charlene
izzarina

Post by izzarina »

missy wrote:I saw Herman's Hermits perform at the Ohio State Fair when I was 6 years old!! :o

Missy
I was but a twinkle in my mother's eye when they were big :D
avanutria
Tell us something.: A long time chatty Chiffer but have been absent for almost two decades. Returned in 2022 and still recognize some names! I also play anglo concertina now.

Post by avanutria »

izzarina wrote:Herman's Hermits! Here's a ditty that'll be in your head all day long!
I'm Henry the eighth I am
Henry the eighth I am, I am
I got married to the widow next door
She's been married seven times before
And every one was an Henry (Henry)
She wouldn't have a Willy or a Sam (no Sam)
I'm her eighth old man, I'm Henry
Henry the eighth I am
:D
Ah, I've heard that one sung in person... :o :D But not by Herman's Hermits.

I'm informed you have to say "Hen-er-y" though, rather than Henry, in the first few lines. And amusingly enough, last week that fact came up in my phonology class. I was hard pressed to keep from laughing.. :P
izzarina

Post by izzarina »

avanutria wrote:I'm informed you have to say "Hen-er-y" though, rather than Henry, in the first few lines. And amusingly enough, last week that fact came up in my phonology class. I was hard pressed to keep from laughing.. :P
It is "Hen-er-y"....although I think if you are to be totally accurate, it would be " 'en-er-y" :lol:
I've had that darn song in my head all day now....can't believe that I brought it up :roll:
missy

Post by missy »

izz wrote:
"I was but a twinkle in my mother's eye when they were big"

Aw, hush up, you young pup!
(and I did say I was 6!!)

It's someone's birthday here at work today. She brought in treats with "I'm 40" napkins. Most of us are over 40, some of us can't remember 40 (including the birthday girl). We're all showing everyone that we are 40 today.

No one believes us.

Missy
Missy

"When facts are few, experts are many"

http://www.strothers.com
Wormdiet

Post by Wormdiet »

The best thing about cassettes were the endless mix tapes. Sure, you can do the same thing with CD Rom's but it's a pain and doesnt have the same low-tech mojo happening.
OOOXXO
Doing it backwards since 2005.