Anyone Know This Whistle?

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
jim_mc
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I'm a New York native who gradually slid west and landed in the Phoenix area. I like riding on the back seat of a tandem bicycle. I like dogs and have three of them. I am a sometime actor and an all the time teacher, husband, and dad.

Post by jim_mc »

Check out this old whistle on e-bay. Anyone recognize it? I've never seen one with a mark like that.

http://cgi.netscape.ebay.com/ws/eBayISA ... 1726006612
Say it loud: B flat and be proud!
Tony
Tell us something.: I used to play pipes about 20 years ago and suddenly abducted by aliens.
Not sure why... but it's 2022 and I'm mysteriously baack...

Post by Tony »

I like the description:
"...THE SIX HOLES ARE VARIOUS SIZES."
If you view the sellers other auctions you'll see a 'fife' with a similar description, along with some vintage toys. I would guess these came from an estate sale.
avanutria
Tell us something.: A long time chatty Chiffer but have been absent for almost two decades. Returned in 2022 and still recognize some names! I also play anglo concertina now.

Post by avanutria »

Hey how about this?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... =863097167

For an "irish tin whistle and two vintage flutes"! :lol:
Kendra
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Kendra »

In the second link, it looked like two soprano recorders and a pennywhistle. I wonder how tin whistles get identified as "fifes" since fifes are blown like flutes. Surprising what one finds on eBay, isn't it?
<font size="small"><marquee>But
I'm just a beginner, so what do I
know...... </marquee></font>
StevePower

Post by StevePower »

The 'vintage flutes' are definitely plastic recorders - worth about $5 each, I guess (new). Of course plastic made before the new millenium could be classed as 'vintage'(maybe not). The whistle is a walton's brass D, in the Soodlums pack - but not sure of the exact model.

Steve :wink:

(edited to coreect my original sloppy spelling of millenium!)

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: StevePower on 2002-04-26 16:18 ]</font>
Tyghress

Post by Tyghress »

Saw this and was just too intrigued to not bid. http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... URL=0&rd=1

Comes from a town near my hometown. It was my 'what the heck' bid.

Any guesses on what the thing by the embouchure is?
Remember, you didn't get the tiger so it would do what you wanted. You got the tiger to see what it wanted to do. -- Colin McEnroe
Patrick

Post by Patrick »

That thing by the embouchure is a sideways fipple. There is at least one "fife" on the market that does the same thing. You don't have to know how to blow a flute to play it. It is just like a whistle held funny.

Let us know what you think when you get it!

-Patrick
jim_mc
Tell us something.: I'm a New York native who gradually slid west and landed in the Phoenix area. I like riding on the back seat of a tandem bicycle. I like dogs and have three of them. I am a sometime actor and an all the time teacher, husband, and dad.

Post by jim_mc »

The thing by the fipple is called a "cheater" by fife and drum folks. They were popular during the civil war era because it made it quicker to get a beginning fifer out on the battlefield. It would be frowned upon by most "ancients" today, though.
Say it loud: B flat and be proud!
selkie

Post by selkie »

I have a sideways ???? Made by 'Melody Flute' Laurel?? with the same sort of mouthpiece but mine is welded on. Key of C. It's old but still in tune and it sits on display at home. It did get me used to holding the flute sideways though and I've gone on to a 6 key military flute which is short.