Which Bass Regulator do you like?

A forum about Uilleann (Irish) pipes and the surly people who play them.
Ed Harrison
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Ed Harrison »

More people are playing regulators these days and I would like to know on the bass regulator which do you prefer and what are the advantages / your opinions of these two types?

Straight Bar - that goes across your arm.

U-Bend - that turns back over the main stock.

Thanks for your information .... Ed
Joseph E. Smith
antispam: No

Post by Joseph E. Smith »

I like the bar as it helps keep the mainstock up making reaching the regs an easier thing to do. I'm not a slender fellow.

Also, there's something about the look of the non U-bend bass reg that appeals to me... perhaps it is that 'old-timey' look.
Antaine

Post by Antaine »

ditto on both counts
{][_||_______||_][___o__o__O___o__O__º__º__]]_]
         \\
           \\
brianc

Post by brianc »

I have played full sets with both types... the first set had the bass regulator with no bend in it.

When I began playing the 2nd set (which is the only set I now play), it had the U-bend. Right away, I didn't think I'd like it, but it wasn't long before I prefered the U-bend.

The reason is that I found that my left arm would often pull in against the straight regulator, thus shifting the entire set and regs out away from me at an odd angle. I didn't realize this was a problem, however, until I began to play the regs, then I found that they were way out of position and that made it difficult even to tap any of the keys.

My preference is the U-bend style.
Joseph E. Smith

Post by Joseph E. Smith »

I suppose another advandage the U-bend has is the fact you do not have to break it down (the bass reg reed cap) to fit it in a case. Sure, for the old style bass reg, you could always get a larger case, but who wants to lug something that size around for any length of time?
MikeyLikesIt

Post by MikeyLikesIt »

I agree, if I had a full set I'd prefer to have the bend. The straight bar feels to me like it's in the way.
rorybbellows
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by rorybbellows »

I like the straight bass reg as it gives you somewhere to hang your coat as your playing

RORY
ausdag

Post by ausdag »

rorybbellows wrote:I like the straight bass reg as it gives you somewhere to hang your coat as your playing

RORY
Plus you could solder a drink holder and ash tray to it too. And a DVD player for that matter - one of the automoblie ones. :D

Cheers,

DavidG
David (ausdag) Goldsworthy
http://ozuilleann.weebly.com/
Kevin L. Rietmann

Post by Kevin L. Rietmann »

Hey ya Ed! Lovely tapes you sent me.
I've had both types of set, it doesn't make two fecks worth of difference really, you can get used to most anything, but the straight bar shouldn't be too bulky or set too low, or you'll pinch your arm as you play.
The curved variety is cool and compact but it should properly be made all out of metal, which isin't easy to do. I've an old set with the wrap-around variety and I was always having to re-seal the outside to prevent leaks, since it was just a bent tube sticking straight into the wood.
elbogo

Post by elbogo »

Don't think I've ever seen a set with a curved bass regulator. Pictures anyone? How makes these?
Tony
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I used to play pipes about 20 years ago and suddenly abducted by aliens.
Not sure why... but it's 2022 and I'm mysteriously baack...

Post by Tony »

Maze has a Childress set with the 'Taylor Style' bass regulator...

Follow the links for some awesome pictures:
http://chiffboard.mati.ca/viewtopic.php ... e92#320728

http://web.dcp.ufl.edu/maze/pub/pipeimages/Childress/

Gallagher does them that way too!
http://www.uilleann.com/images/ivoryfull.jpg
Hans-Joerg
Location: Germany, half an hour west of "Old Brunswick" (Braunschweig < Brunswieck)

Post by Hans-Joerg »

ausdag wrote:

Plus you could solder a drink holder and ash tray to it too. And a DVD player for that matter - one of the automoblie ones. :D

Plus a bayonet-holder against lefthanded fiddlers in crowdy sessions. :D
maze

U bend

Post by maze »

As I have offered on this lovely of lovely forums, I prefer the U-bend Ed... how's it going up there by the way?

My first set had a straight bass reg.... and being of stocky stock meself, i found it tricky once I was at the level where I could play the regs to actually play them... on the plus side, it kept me from playing them to the relief of sessioners up in VA, plus it forced me to stay on the chanter soley for a lot longer....

My second set I had made with a U-bend... then when BC wanted to redo it because he came up with a better (MUCH BETTER) design, I had him do it to the first set as well. It honestly makes all the difference in the world.

So, Ed I would suggest trying a few different designs and see which feels better on you. Not every design feels best for everyone I find... for example, the nicest of Froment sets do not feel that great on me... and I doubt anyone including myself would question their magnificance.

Glad you guys like my images. I have a lot more now, and will try to remember to update them in the maze/pub.
Patrick D'Arcy
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by Patrick D'Arcy »

I'm no bender.... keep it straight for me please :o

PD.
maze

bigotry

Post by maze »

it is rare to hear such bending bigotry in southern cali... when I lived there for years, bending was the way to go.... not i hear this straight snobbery...

is it bendophobia i sense Patrick?