What's this tune?

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
moxy
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by moxy »

yes, of course... it's a reel, not a jig. Not sure why it did that? Oh, I see it now, it should still play reasonably as a reel when you listen to the midi file!

But it should be 4/4...
Feadan
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Re: What's this tune?

Post by Feadan »

moxy wrote: (except when I put it in, it wouldn't play the c#'s in the B part...)
ABC format uses ^ before the note for sharp not # following. Also putting in sharps for the F is redundant because you have already specified that in the choice of key. Try this...

X:1
T:Moxy's Mystery Tune
M:4/4
L:1/8
R:Reel
Q:1/2=80
K:G
|GGBG dGBA |GFGB dcBc |ABcd eccc |ecaf gedB
|GGBG dGBA |GFGB dcBc |ABcd ecge |dBcA GDEF
|GGBG dGBA |GFGB dcBc |ABcd eccc |ecaf gedB
|GGBG dGBA |GFGB dcBc |ABcd ecge |dBcA GGGf
|ggGA BBBd |ggfg edeg |aeed eeeg |aaed ^cdef
|ggGA BBBd |ggfg edcB |ABcd ecge |dBcA GGGf
|ggGA BBBd |ggfg edeg |aeed eeeg |aaed ^cdef
|ggGA BBBd |ggfg edcB |ABcd ecge |dBcA GDEF:|

Cheers,
David

P.S. FWIW, the last couple of measures for both parts is reminiscent of The Mason's Apron.
moxy

Post by moxy »

Yeah, that sounds more like what I had in my head. Thanks for suggesting the changes (I've never used ABC notation before!!)

Why does the concertina site use the piano sound anyway? Shouldn't it use a concertina sound?... Just a thought.

I looked up Mason's Apron on thesession.org and I don't think that's it either...

I've considered the possibility that this tune isn't in Gmajor...

Man, this is frustrating. All I have is the tune in my head, I can't find it anywhere on my iRiver either!!
Feadan
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by Feadan »

moxy wrote:(I've never used ABC notation before!!)
Well it certainly was a helluva good first try. Better than I managed on my first go.

Cheers,
David
Martin Milner

Post by Martin Milner »

moxy wrote:yes, of course... it's a reel, not a jig. Not sure why it did that? Oh, I see it now, it should still play reasonably as a reel when you listen to the midi file!

But it should be 4/4...
My mistake there, I grabbed your notes and stuck them into another ABC I had to hand that hapenned to be a jig. That field creates the time signature at the start of the tune, but you can actually put any number of notes/beats in a bar, and it'll print or play just the same.

Many's the time we've bemoaned the plonky piano sound of the midi (the chord backing on jigs is particularly risible) but hey, it's a free tool, and it gets a basic job done pretty nicely.

Mox, is it possible you've composed this tune yourself? A few times I've heard a tune playing in my head, ABC'd it, and posted it on a forum asking what is is, only to find it's original to me. Listen to enough ITM music, and eventually those synapses start to spark. I try to keep a recording device to hand all the time these days (my tiny digital camera has a neat audio recording feature) hin case the muse strike, and I need to hum a tune at 3am before it's lost to posterity.

I suggest you post your ABC'd tune in a thread on The Session

http://www.thesession.org/

the people there are very knowledgeable, discussions about tunes abound, and if it is something you heard somewhere, I think they'd have a good chance of recognising it.
BoneQuint

Post by BoneQuint »

moxy wrote:Why does the concertina site use the piano sound anyway?
Try adding this line before the notes:
%%MIDI program 72

That'll give it a flute-like sound. Or add this to make it more whistle-like:
%%MIDI transpose 12

And to make grace notes sound more like cuts and taps, try this:
%%MIDI grace 1/8

Rolls using ~ still won't sound right, try using grace notes instead. Like this:

Code: Select all

X:41 
T:The Wise Maid 
M:C| 
C:Johnny Doherty 
R:reel 
Q:300 
K:D 
%%MIDI program 72 
%%MIDI transpose 12 
%%MIDI grace 1/8 
(F{A}F{E}F) G FEDE | FAAB AFED | d2 (3efg fdec | dBAF B(E{G}E{D}E) |

moxy

Post by moxy »

Martin Milner wrote:Mox, is it possible you've composed this tune yourself?
Gee I wish - it's a great tune! When I was in Ireland in November, I woke up one morning with a tune in my head, and I was convinced I had composed it. I asked around, people didn't know it, it must be a new tune!!

But then... I came home to Montreal and for some reason was looking through some sheet music I had from a Mike McHale workshop (and before I get blasted, let me say I take the sheet music as a reminder of the tunes, and I actually learn the tunes by ear!!) and there was the tune I thought I'd composed...

Well, I've FOUND the tune on my iRiver!! It's Patrick Ourceau playing at the Chris Langan festival in 2004. But I still don't know the title... He plays it with the Maids of Tulla (maybe it IS the Maids of Tulla, but I can't find the sheet music for that to compare...)

Phew, I thought I was going crazy...
moxy

Post by moxy »

Hey, guess what everyone, this tune is on the LIVE AT MONA'S cd!!

It's definitely The Maids of Tulla, on track 15 :)

I was just listening to the cd just now, and there it was. How awesome is that. I had forgotten about it since my last post, but wow, there it is again.

Still a VERY lovely tune. Would anyone care to play it with me? :wink: