Accompanying uilleann pipes

A forum about Uilleann (Irish) pipes and the surly people who play them.
djm
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by djm »

Oh! Oh!!! He's picking on Pat Boone! Oh, the agony! Oh, Bernadine! :P

djm
I'd rather be atop the foothills than beneath them.
PJ
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: ......................................................................................................

Post by PJ »

Joseph E. Smith wrote:
Royce wrote:
Joseph E. Smith wrote: Yes he was. I'm not certain if I would consider the stuff he directed and performed either swing or jazz..... schlock comes to mind. :D
Hmm, exactly the same criticism made by the Irish of most American attempts at Irish Traditional music--uilleann piping in particular. Bunch of yanks cleaning up Irish ethnic music for fat, white, lazy, overpaid Americans with way too much to spend on expensive full sets.

Royce
That's me in a nut shell... except for the 'overpaid' part. :D :lol:
I think this what an Dlidora would call "Duirt bean liom cad a duirt bean lei"
Joseph E. Smith

Post by Joseph E. Smith »

djm wrote:Oh! Oh!!! He's picking on Pat Boone! Oh, the agony! Oh, Bernadine! :P

djm
Pat Boone? Schlock, schlock and Double SCHLOCK!!!
Royce

Post by Royce »

ausdag wrote:.

I especially like the 'mystery' element to Liam O'Flynn's regulator playing - You never know when he's going to bring them in. Compare that to a lot of modern players, and for that matter some of the old players like Leo Rowsome, they...
Uh, Liam O'Flynn is a modern player you know...

Royce
ausdag

Post by ausdag »

Okay, but he was a contemporary of Clancy, Ennis, and Rowsome (Leo) albeit a young one. He ain't no spring chicken either. By modern I mean the under 35 set who've been playing since they were kids back in the deep, dark early 80s.

Cheers,

DavidG
David (ausdag) Goldsworthy
http://ozuilleann.weebly.com/
Royce

Post by Royce »

You can't just redefine the term "modern" to mean whatever you want it to mean. He's still touring for goodness sakes. If you mean "young punks" or "young players" or "recent crop" or "latest generation" then say so. He's not really a "contemporary" of any of those guys either--he was a "young punk" to them. He's now in a position of being a "link" to those guys but the fact is, most of the "young punks" you call "modern" are as influenced or directly tutored by this "link" as this "link" was by those you cite as (apparently) "ancient" pipers.

It's funny you've been carrying on this conversation as if we all knew what everyone meant, but Keenan and Finbar and O'Flynn were considered to be upstart, expressionless hacks (still are in many cases) after a fashion in their day (compared to these so-called "contemporaries" you now bunch them with) the same way you now write-off these nebulous "modern" young punks.

Every generation is a generation removed but so what? The same thing happens in Rock'n Roll or Orchestral music.

Royce
fancypiper
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by fancypiper »

My favvorite accompioning instruments are rated this way from my most preferred to least:

solo pipes
pipes/fiddle
pipes/whistle
pipes/harp
pipes/concertina
pipes/bodhran
pipes/bones
pipes/mandolin
pipes/bouzouki/cittern
pipes/tenor banjo
pipes/guitar

Espescially precious to me are the half set recordings I have as I can concentrate on the chanter work without distraction.
ausdag

Post by ausdag »

Last edited by ausdag on Sat Dec 31, 2005 4:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Joseph E. Smith

Post by Joseph E. Smith »

Water off a duck's back there my friend, water off a duck's back... Don't let yourself be suckered into the game.... :D
ausdag

Post by ausdag »

Joseph E. Smith wrote:Water off a duck's back there my friend, water off a duck's back... Don't let yourself be suckered into the game.... :D
10/4 Rubber Ducky. I hear you loud and clear. Over and out :D

DavidG
Royce

Post by Royce »

ausdag wrote:
Royce wrote:You can't just redefine the term "modern" to mean whatever you want it to mean. He's still touring for goodness sakes. If you mean "young punks" or "young players" or "recent crop" or "latest generation" then say so. He's not really a "contemporary" of any of those guys either--he was a "young punk" to them. He's now in a position of being a "link" to those guys but the fact is, most of the "young punks" you call "modern" are as influenced or directly tutored by this "link" as this "link" was by those you cite as (apparently) "ancient" pipers.

It's funny you've been carrying on this conversation as if we all knew what everyone meant, but Keenan and Finbar and O'Flynn were considered to be upstart, expressionless hacks (still are in many cases) after a fashion in their day (compared to these so-called "contemporaries" you now bunch them with) the same way you now write-off these nebulous "modern" young punks.

Every generation is a generation removed but so what? The same thing happens in Rock'n Roll or Orchestral music.

Royce
What the hell are you on about :-? I can make the word 'modern' mean what I bloody-well like it to mean. Since when do I have to bow down to your semantic notion of what a word means? A word has meaning only because some non-absolute body in a non-absolute postion of linguistic authority has determined what language is 'standard' and what language is 'non-standard' - there is no correct and incorrect. I say Tomayto, you say tomahto.....Anyway.... why spend soooo much effort criticising such a tiny side-issue in the greater scheme of the thread? Get a life Royce.

If it'll please his holiness......I would be honoured if Sir Royce would happily exchange the poorly chosen word 'MODERN' with something more to Sir's liking.

>>It's funny you've been carrying on this conversation as if we all knew what everyone meant>>

Well, isn't that the point??? Sound a bit like George Dubbya there Royce.

DavidG
Just pickle jar what you'd box of curry from an organ stop cow run who can't complete a thought without baking tin a reference to political gut wrench in the goatshead scrape booty of the non-convection oven pudding spoon.

Sound a foghorn like sleeping in the pilot house there stun gun.

Royce