Things a 5 year old says...

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
izzarina
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Things a 5 year old says...

Post by izzarina »

My 5 year old decided that it would be really fun to write all over her legs. So anyway, my 8 year old sees that she had done it, and he tells her that he is going to tell Dad. To this, my delightful little girl says:

"Joe, if you keep this "our little secret", when I get to be Dad's age, I'll give you a quarter." :lol:
A girl after my own heart, that's for sure :wink:
Someday, everything is gonna be diff'rent
When I paint my masterpiece.
aderyn_du
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by aderyn_du »

:lol: :lol: :lol:
chas
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by chas »

My 3 and a half year old is into making families out of things and naming things. So one night, I'm cooking supper and she asks if she can have the spoon, a regular old tea spoon, that I'd used to stir the proto-sauce for the stirfry. I rinsed it off and gave it to her, and she named it "Camadia," (like Canadian, only with an m in the middle and no n at the end). She made up an entire bio and agenda for Camadia, including that she would be having supper with us. So, when it came time for supper, I asked where Camadia was. Alyssa answered, "Camadia can't eat with us, she's busy." This is a spoon we're talking about.

The same night, she named three beer caps -- Beery, Hoppy, and Malty. These are from homebrewing, so there's no writing or anything on any of them. I was rather suspicious that she was able to distinguish them from each other, so I did the old thing with putting them on the counter top and mixing them up so that I could keep track of them. She got them all right through three tries. I just don't get it.

The way kids develop never ceases to amaze me.
Charlie
Whorfin Woods
"Our work puts heavy metal where it belongs -- as a music genre and not a pollutant in drinking water." -- Prof Ali Miserez.
cowtime

Post by cowtime »

And the sad thing is that a few years in our typical education system will stiffle and destroy all that.
"Let low-country intruder approach a cove
And eyes as gray as icicle fangs measure stranger
For size, honesty, and intent."
John Foster West
Unseen122
Tell us something.: Of course I'm not a bot; I've been here for years... Apparently that isn't enough to pass muster though!

Post by Unseen122 »

cowtime wrote:And the sad thing is that a few years in our typical education system will stiffle and destroy all that.
So true our education system sucks.
chas
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by chas »

I will do my best to keep my kid thinking outside the box. I'm just hoping that she can keep that and still learn to think inside the box as is required in school.

Another funny thing she did. In her preschool (3 hours twice a week), the kids and teachers made up some little things for the parents before open house. Part of it was questions, like what's your favorite school activity, and what do you want to be when you grow up. Her answer to that one, "Bigger." She was the only one who didn't give an occupation. Definitely an outside the box thinker.
Charlie
Whorfin Woods
"Our work puts heavy metal where it belongs -- as a music genre and not a pollutant in drinking water." -- Prof Ali Miserez.
izzarina

Post by izzarina »

chas wrote:Part of it was questions, like what's your favorite school activity, and what do you want to be when you grow up. Her answer to that one, "Bigger." She was the only one who didn't give an occupation. Definitely an outside the box thinker.
That's classic!!! :lol: She sounds like one smart cookie, chas :)
As for mine thinking outside the box, I don't have to worry about the school system ruining that because I homeschool. So, in other words, I'm brainwashing them to think outside the box :lol:
Someday, everything is gonna be diff'rent
When I paint my masterpiece.
Jerry Freeman

Post by Jerry Freeman »

One day when Ana was five, I observed her putting on a sweater. I recognized the sweater and told her that Tania used to wear it. When Arleen came into the room, Ana said, "Momma! Do you know what? When Tania was little, she used to wear MY CLOTHES!!!"

Best wishes,
Jerry
suejnnhe

Post by suejnnhe »

Childish logic...

...Once when my two oldest were 4 and 5 they came running into the kitchen yelling about the tiolet overflowing. I rushed to the bathroom to stem the tide, only to discover that the cause of the flooding was due to the fact that there was an entire roll of toilet paper jammed in the bottom of the toilet. I said to my children, "Guys, if the toilet paper falls in the toilet you can't just leave it there!" Their reply, "We didn't! We flushed!" :roll:
HeySue!
_________
Don't Panic!
spittin_in_the_wind

Post by spittin_in_the_wind »

When my son was three or so, he was loudly and rudely demanding to be given vanilla milk. My husband said, "Do I hear a please?"....to which the offspring replied, "You hear 'vanilla milk'...."

:moreevil:

Robin
Sunnywindo

Post by Sunnywindo »

Last summer my son, just turned five, was talking to his uncle about the camping trip our family was going on.

The said uncle set to teasing him a bit, telling him: "You'd better watch out for big foot while you're up there!"

My son immediately responded: "Gee, I didn't know you were going to be there Uncle John."

Ah.... kids.

:D Sara
'I wish it need not have happend in my time,' said Frodo.
'So do I,' said Gandalf, 'and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us.'

-LOTR-
emmline

Post by emmline »

Let's see...must contribute cuteness..
When my oldest daughter was 4, she insisted she wanted one of her grandmother's bananas, despite being advised that they were not ripe and would not taste good.
Grandma caved and gave Rachel the banana, which she peeled with difficulty, took a bite of, and said "it turned out to be a cucumber."
amar
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by amar »

well, i haven't got any kids, but my mom told me what i did once.
we were in the tram, my mom, brother, and i, in came this pretty obese woman, i pointed to her and cried out loud: mommy!! look at that woman! she is soooo fat!!!
:D
Jennie

Post by Jennie »

One of my favorite four-year-olds asked this scientific question:

How come balloons only float when they're tied to a string?

Jennie
vomitbunny

Post by vomitbunny »

I remember reading some utterances of babes years ago in some forgotten publication. One sticks out in my mind.
"Does the devil live in hell, or does he just work there?"
My opinion is stupid and wrong.