Winter is nice. NOW END!!!!

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
jsluder
antispam: No

Re: Winter is nice. NOW END!!!!

Post by jsluder »

dwinterfield wrote:It's a bright sunny 14 degrees outside. South of Boston, we're expecting 8+ inches of snow over night, a cold weekend and more snow next week. I love New England. I like all the seasonal variation. But enough already. It's time to move on.

Just how sick are you of winter? specifically, this winter? It's a constant in conversation around here. People who normally never complain about weather are begging for Spring. Or at least a glimmer of hope.

Are the Southern Hemisphere folks sick of summer? Send it our way.

I'm sure the Southern CA folks are sick of rain.

Pete Seeger and the Bible colaborated on a great song. It's time for this season to TURN, TURN, TURN
Please send your rain and snow to Washington state. This is the 5th driest February on record, and our mountain snowpack is about 15%-30% of normal for this time of year. We'll probably have water shortages this summer/fall. Yes, that's water shortages in Seattle! We get most of our water from snow melt. Not enough snow in the mountains in winter means not enough water in the reservoirs in summer.
Giles: "We few, we happy few."
Spike: "We band of buggered."
Jack
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Jack »

I love snow and cold weather. Always have.
dwinterfield

Post by dwinterfield »

TomB wrote:
dwinterfield wrote:It's a bright sunny 14 degrees outside. South of Boston, we're expecting 8+ inches of snow over night, a cold weekend and more snow next week. I love New England. I like all the seasonal variation. But enough already. It's time to move on.

Just how sick are you of winter? specifically, this winter? It's a constant in conversation around here. People who normally never complain about weather are begging for Spring. Or at least a glimmer of hope.

Pete Seeger and the Bible colaborated on a great song. It's time for this season to TURN, TURN, TURN

Hey, wait a minute, with a user name like yours, how can you be sick of winter? :boggle:

Tom
Actually Dwinterfield = Daisy Winterfield. Put her in a field in winter and she disappears. At this point I'd perfer this view.

dwinterfield

Post by dwinterfield »

Cranberry wrote:I love snow and cold weather. Always have.
So do I, but change is good.
Jack

Post by Jack »

dwinterfield wrote:
Cranberry wrote:I love snow and cold weather. Always have.
So do I, but change is good.
Not if that change means 105º weather and no air conditioning.
TomB

Post by TomB »

dwinterfield wrote:[quote="TomBHey, wait a minute, with a user name like yours, how can you be sick of winter? :boggle:

Tom
Actually Dwinterfield = Daisy Winterfield. Put her in a field in winter and she disappears. At this point I'd perfer this view.

Image[/quote]

I would prefer that view also. Great shot of the pooch!

Tom
"Consult the Book of Armaments"
Feadan
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by Feadan »

And you call yourself a New Englander! Tsk, tsk tsk.... :roll:

:wink:

Just kidding. I was certainly not a happy camper waiting out in the frosty chill this morning for the 6:18 out of Gloucester with breath condensation forming icicles in my moustache. Then look over to see the LED marquee displaying that the train would be at least 10 minutes late. Brrrrrr! The setting full moon was a lovely sight though. I think my toes finally thawed out somewhere around Chelsea. I don’t know why I live in New England. I really hate being cold. I was more than ready for Spring right after that blizzard we had!

Cheers,
David
susnfx

Post by susnfx »

I HAVE AN ANNOUNCEMENT: SPRING IS OFFICIALLY HERE!

I just walked into my office and found the first pollen count of the year taped to my monitor.

Our allergy/asthma clinic does the only official pollen count in the Utah region. A specially trained employee in one of our offices climbs onto the roof each morning from early spring to late fall and collects a "rotorod" - a long rod with sticky stuff on it that once an hour raises up out of its covering and spins, collecting pollen grains from the air. The rod is retrieved, the pollen grains counted, and calculations performed, giving us--TA-DA--the pollen count. We fax it to all the local tv and radio stations, other allergists' offices, and national bureaus who keep records of such things.

One of my jobs is to put the pollen count on our website for interested patients (and others) so they'll know they're sneezing their heads off because the elm count is high right now.

So there's pollen in the air here (elm's high, box elder/maple are low, and mold is low) and that means spring's arriving!

Just thought you'd like to know.

Susan
Cayden

Post by Cayden »

Last week spring was definitely in the air, this week a touch of winter arrived, which is unusual enough: winter here usually means just more wind and rain. I like the dry clear frosty weather.

Last edited by Cayden on Thu Feb 24, 2005 3:19 pm, edited 2 times in total.
TomB

Post by TomB »

susnfx wrote:I HAVE AN ANNOUNCEMENT: SPRING IS OFFICIALLY HERE!

I just walked into my office and found the first pollen count of the year taped to my monitor.

Our allergy/asthma clinic does the only official pollen count in the Utah region. A specially trained employee in one of our offices climbs onto the roof each morning from early spring to late fall and collects a "rotorod" - a long rod with sticky stuff on it that once an hour raises up out of its covering and spins, collecting pollen grains from the air. The rod is retrieved, the pollen grains counted, and calculations performed, giving us--TA-DA--the pollen count. We fax it to all the local tv and radio stations, other allergists' offices, and national bureaus who keep records of such things.

One of my jobs is to put the pollen count on our website for interested patients (and others) so they'll know they're sneezing their heads off because the elm count is high right now.

So there's pollen in the air here (elm's high, box elder/maple are low, and mold is low) and that means spring's arriving!

Just thought you'd like to know.

Susan
Susan- Does that person actually count the grains, or is there some sort of electronic gizmo that does so?

Tom
susnfx

Post by susnfx »

She actually counts the grains, Tom-- through a microscope. I've seen them. Odd looking little buggers.

Susan
TomB

Post by TomB »

susnfx wrote:She actually counts the grains, Tom-- through a microscope. I've seen them. Odd looking little buggers.

Susan

I would imagine they are. Pollen and I don't get along- well, some types of pollen. Thanks.

Tom
Charlene

Post by Charlene »

[quote="jsluder]Please send your rain and snow to Washington state. This is the 5th driest February on record, and our mountain snowpack is about 15%-30% of normal for this time of year. We'll probably have water shortages this summer/fall. Yes, that's water shortages in Seattle! We get most of our water from snow melt. Not enough snow in the mountains in winter means not enough water in the reservoirs in summer.[/quote]

What he said.

In Spokane we didn't have any snow at Christmas or New Years. We did get about 8 inches the first week in January and some really cold weather, but it's warmed up and has been sunny and dry for all of February. It's 50F right now. So far this year we've had 1.61 inches of precip according to the National Weather Service web page, normal is 3.13 inches. I think most of the ski resorts have given up for this year.

I like sunshine and hate the cold and snow, but I won't be happy in August when we can't water the lawn or wash the car and when some idiot throws a cigarette butt out the car window and starts a fire in the tinder dry weeds along the road. So I know we need some rain in the valley and snow up in the mountains.

Californians - everybody get out your fans and blow the weather up this way! :D
Charlene
jsluder

Post by jsluder »

Charlene wrote:Californians - everybody get out your fans and blow the weather up this way! :D
Yeah. We're used to mud slides. Not that it keeps people from building houses on steep hillsides... after clearing all the trees and brush that were holding the dirt in place. :roll:
Giles: "We few, we happy few."
Spike: "We band of buggered."
izzarina

Post by izzarina »

Martin Milner's siggy wrote:Blimey! I'm quoted in a signature! How incredibly flattering!

--- Gary Kelly
copy cat!! :lol:
Someday, everything is gonna be diff'rent
When I paint my masterpiece.