Do unto the bodhran player as he hath done unto you

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
Whitmores75087
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Do unto the bodhran player as he hath done unto you

Post by Whitmores75087 »

Thanks to the Chieftains I used to love the bodhran. But now that I play in a session, when I see a circular bag approaching I get cold shivers. Here's the problem as I see it. Once the guy or gal gets the wrist action he thinks he's home free and can join a session.
If a fiddler can't play, he generally (not always) knows it. Same with any instrument...except the bodhran. He thinks he can play everying. He has no sensory feedback to tell him "hey buddy, you suck. Quit will ya". Another part of the problem is that it's played so quietly. He thinks nobody notices.
Tell you what, let's dispense with the bodhran and give me a catfish flopping around in a plastic bucket. Yeah, that's the ticket!
Thanks for listening, I feel better now.
(To that 50% who can play: please excuse my rant)
ChrisA

Post by ChrisA »

Count yourself lucky that the poor bodhran players that have inflicted themselves on you have been quiet players. They -are- played pretty softly in session music (when properly played), but they -can- be very loud, too. Remember they have their origin as war drums...
Bloomfield
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by Bloomfield »

ChrisA wrote:... Remember they have their origin as war drums...
The story I heard was that they started out as some sort of cheese-making implement (iirc), and that they haven't been around for more than 70, 80 years. Older players refer to them as tambourines, which I lcve. Sounds so wonderfully uncool.
/Bloomfield
Bloomfield

Post by Bloomfield »

Oh and I wonder if there are similar posts about whistleplayers on the bodhran board, Skin & Tipper. Actually, I am making that up; I don't think there is such a board... haven't met a bodhran player yet who could read and write.
/Bloomfield
lawhistle

Post by lawhistle »

Funny I should come across this thead today, as just last night several people at our session were discussing what a shame it is when our bodhran player doesn't show up! As fun as it is to slag on the bodhrani in general, (and I know cause I play the tenor banjo and that instrument gets enough of it as well, hehe), but at my session, we're lucky enough to have an seriously unbelievably talented young bodhran player and he honestly elevates and lifts the music in a spectacular and sensitive way. It simply isn't the same without him. And combined with our guitar guy, just magic. So, let it be known. We love our bodhran guy. There. lol
Wombat

Post by Wombat »

I think the rules for rhythm instruments should be the same as for melody instruments. If you don't know the tune being played, stay out. And if you do know it, don't just thump away, listen to a complement the other players. The more rhythm instruments, the more likely busyness will degenerate into clutter. I think that you probably don't need more than two guitarists and one bodhrani on any given tune; maybe they should be taking it in turns. Of course, if a guitarist is playing melody, that is fine.
IDAwHOa
Tell us something.: I play whistles. I sell whistles. This seems just a BIT excessive to the cause. A sentence or two is WAY less than 100 characters.

Post by IDAwHOa »

Bloomfield wrote:haven't met a bodhran player yet who could read and write.
How about wanna-be bodhran players? :roll:
Steven - IDAwHOa - Wood Rocks

"If you keep asking questions.... You keep getting answers." - Miss Frizzle - The Magic School Bus
TooTs

Post by TooTs »

The trouble with drums is that they attract people who don't consider themselves in the slightest to have any musical ability. These same people consider the drum to be a thing that requires no musical ability to play.

The worst of it is is that these sort of people are in the majority of drummers, and their lack of musical ability leads them to just hammer away on top of anyone's music without any regard or respect for the music or those playing it.

For any drum to be played well takes a lot of musical ability, sadly, only a minority of drummers have any. To play music with a good drummer is a wonderful experience, to try to play music with a noise banging idiot who bought a djembe is absolutely painful.
OnTheMoor

Post by OnTheMoor »

Bloomfield wrote:... haven't met a bodhran player yet who could read and write.
:lol:

Cheese-making huh? I seem to remember a mining device of some sort...
tommyk

Post by tommyk »

Bloomfield wrote:haven't met a bodhran player yet who could read and write.
Oh yeah?
Tommy Kochel
professor of English as a Second Language, English Composition, and German
bodhran player of 18 years.
www.tommyswirled.com

Nice to meet you.
OnTheMoor

Post by OnTheMoor »

:lol: :lol: :lol:
BigDavy

Bodhran Players that can read & Write

Post by BigDavy »

Hi tommyk

Way to go, stand up for the downtrodden bodhran players.

Whitmores75087

A suggestion, learn to play the bodhran youself, then when an errant bodhran player turns up you can demonstrate what is required of him/her. If some of the people who complained about bodhran players took this approach, then the overall standard of bodhran playing would improve.

David

Bodhran player for 13 years
Payday, Piping, Percussion and Poetry- the 4 best Ps
buddhu

Post by buddhu »

*Yawn* Not the bodhran thing again... :roll:

Blah blah penknife blah blah the drumming gets faster and faster blah blah when he got back to the car there were four bodhrans on the seat blah blah...

Yeah yeah heard 'em all before, ad nauseum.

Bad any kind of musician can screw a session. Bodhrans are great. Not trad? neither were a lot of the other (now widely accepted) instruments at one time.

If there is a real problem it is probably with bodhrani who don't play at least one other instrument. A lack of broader musical understanding would be more the issue than the fact that the person in question wanted to play the drum.
And whether the blood be highland, lowland or no.
And whether the skin be black or white as the snow.
Of kith and of kin we are one, be it right, be it wrong.
As long as our hearts beat true to the lilt of a song.
Wanderer
Tell us something.: I've like been here forever ;)
But I guess you gotta filter out the spambots.
100 characters? Geeze.

Post by Wanderer »

buddhu wrote:blah blah when he got back to the car there were four bodhrans on the seat blah blah...
haha! That one cracks me up!

:wink:
cowtime

Post by cowtime »

TooTs wrote:The trouble with drums is that they attract people who don't consider themselves in the slightest to have any musical ability. These same people consider the drum to be a thing that requires no musical ability to play.

The worst of it is is that these sort of people are in the majority of drummers, and their lack of musical ability leads them to just hammer away on top of anyone's music without any regard or respect for the music or those playing it.

For any drum to be played well takes a lot of musical ability, sadly, only a minority of drummers have any. To play music with a good drummer is a wonderful experience, to try to play music with a noise banging idiot who bought a djembe is absolutely painful.
Yeah, too many folks think it takes little ability and practice to play drums of any kind.
This is a pet peeve of mine in our GHB band.
All too often a new wantabe drummer shows up and in a couple of weeks the pipers are telling them they should be playing jobs with us! Like they'd want a new piper out there in a few weeks! (After my latest rant to the pipe major this situation will hopefully change).

And you are very correct to say that a good drummer knows the music. This was pointed out very well by an excellent piper and teacher. He overheard some pipers with a holier than thou attitude throwing off on drummers. He got some drummers to stand up in class and hum the piper's music. THEN he had these pipers stand and told them to do the same with the drum music. :o
Put them in their places quiet nicely, and gained the drummers some much deserved respect.
"Let low-country intruder approach a cove
And eyes as gray as icicle fangs measure stranger
For size, honesty, and intent."
John Foster West