Suggestions please!

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
carrie

Suggestions please!

Post by carrie »

I got a little gift card from the grocery store for 5 free downloads from iTunes. I'm kinda overwhelmed at the choices, so I thought I'd seek suggestions from the great and all-knowing chiff community. Anything I really MUST have?

Thanks very much for your thoughts.

Carol

PS As might be obvious, this is my first time shopping on iTunes. And while we're at it, this past week was also my first time shopping on ebay. So I'm feeling like totally hip right now.
emmline
antispam: No

Post by emmline »

I'm presently planning to download "Under Pressure"(David Bowie) because it's only by listening to it multiple times that I'll actually be able to hit the correct notes on Karaoke Revolution. That is one hard to sing song. All the ba ba dum deh's.
Sunnywindo
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Sunnywindo »

Sorry, can't be much help in the suggestion department... can't even browse the songs they have so as to get ideas to make some suggestions as it looks like you have to download their program to do that which requires an OS like Windows 2000 or some such, which I don't have... yet.

But I do have a question that perhaps you or someone else knows about.... with the gift cards, like the one you have and the pre-paid ones you can buy. Do you have to sign up with a credit card or paypal account with itunes.com to be able to use their site/download songs? Or can you just take your little pre-paid/gift card and use it like cash/credit card on what ever they have there and then when it's used up go purchase another card to use? Tried finding out on their site and was having difficulty finding the info, perhaps someone knows through experience.

That is one fantastic sounding site... have fun shopping!

:) Sara (*goes off dreaming of a new computer and a mini ipod*)
'I wish it need not have happend in my time,' said Frodo.
'So do I,' said Gandalf, 'and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us.'

-LOTR-
carrie

Post by carrie »

Good luck with that, emmline!

Sara, you don't need to use a credit card or anything if you have one of those cards. There's a button on the top page of iTunes that says "Prepaid Cards" and you click on it, register yourself and enter the code from your card, and your credit is stored on the site. When you've used it up, you can then pay for new downloads by credit card.

Well, I have until May, I think, to use my credit, so I'll keep thinking about it. Maybe I'll check that thread about songs that are mysteriously beautiful....

Thanks for the thoughts!

Carol
dubhlinn

Post by dubhlinn »

1:
Who Knows Where the Time Goes? 5:05 Fairport Convention Unhalfbricking £0.79

As recommended by Wombat himself...seconded by myself.

2:
Talking New Bob Dylan 3:35 Loudon Wainwright III History £0.79

One of Mr. McGarrigles funniest songs.
3:
May You Never 3:43 John Martyn Solid Air £0.79

Forget your man Clapton..this is the original

4:

1952 Vincent Black Lightning 4:43 Richard Thompson Rumor and Sigh £0.79

The last word in Motorbike sagas - not to mention acoustic guitar work.

5:
Twisted 2:16 Hendricks, Lambert & Ross The Hottest New Group in Jazz £0.79

Joni covered this on "Court and Spark" but this is far more ..well..More!

These are not bad at all, at all :wink:

Slan,
D.
And many a poor man that has roved,
Loved and thought himself beloved,
From a glad kindness cannot take his eyes.

W.B.Yeats
carrie

Post by carrie »

Thank you dubhlinn; that's just the kind of thing I was looking for!

Btw, did you ever hear a song, I think by Loudon Wainwright III, about how much fun it is being a writer (I think a song writer). I heard him do it live and I absolutely loved it but I haven't been able to track it down since then. Does it ring a bell? (I hope I'm not confusing him with someone else.)

Thanks so much!

Carol
dubhlinn

Post by dubhlinn »

Loudon has recorded a lot of albums and written virtually all the songs himself.
Many of his songs refer to the trials and tribulations of his work as a singer / songwriter but I will have to do a bit of looking around on this one.

Watch this space..

Slan,
D.

W.B.Yeats
carrie

Post by carrie »

Thanks, dub! I think the last line is something like: "Good God I love to write!"

C
Wombat

Post by Wombat »

Some excellent suggestions from D, as one would expect, but I strongly suspect you already have at least two of them. (Nos 1 and 3 to be exact.)

'Twisted' is great. Also 'Cloudburst' by the same group if that is available. It's incredible. Oh, Lambert, Hendricks and Bavan is the same group as Lambert, Hendricks and Ross except that ...wait for it ... Bavan has replaced Ross.

You might also want to check whether there is anything by Dave and Carolanne Pegg or anything from the Mike and Lal Waterson album Bright Phoebus. I'm looking for things that might be hard to get on CD at the moment.
Doug_Tipple
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by Doug_Tipple »

I was taking a walk this evening, as I am accustomed to doing. I like to walk around the large parking lot of a church that is my next door neighbor. There is a large grassy area that borders the parking lot, and it is a great place for kids to play and robins to feed on worms in the summer months. I noticed that this evening the kids were having a great time throwing old 33 rpm vinyl records. The records were sailing high in the air and coming back to the earth, only to stick in the soft earth. I couldn't help but wonder what the titles of the records were. Maybe Sarah Vaughn or Louis Armstrong were among the performers on those records. I remember how much much I loved my vinyl collection in earlier days. I felt a little nostalgic for times past.
bradhurley

Post by bradhurley »

"Never Again," written by Richard Thompson and sung by Linda. "Oh the salt tears of lovers and the whispers of friends, come never, oh never, oh never again."

"Grapefruit Moon," Tom Waits

"Gracias a la Vida (live), Mercedes Sosa...she's crying while she sings this.

"Holding Back the Years," Simply Red (pretty much the only thing they ever did that I liked, but this song is lovely)

"Time After Time," Cyndi Lauper
gonzo914

Post by gonzo914 »

dubhlinn wrote:Loudon has recorded a lot of albums . . . .
But none match the poignancy and gut-wrenching, visceral intensity of the now-classic Dead Skunk --

"You got your dead cat and you got your dead dog
And on a moonlit night you got your dead bullfrog

You got your dead skunk in the middle of the road
Dead skunk in the middle of the road
Stinking to high heaven"

Everytime I hear it, I just want to pound on the table and cry like a baby.

So get that one.

And then go for volume -- the long versions of Stairway to Heaven and Whole Lotta love, Inna-Gada-Etc, and Mahler's First with the lost Blumine movement.
Crazy for the blue white and red
Crazy for the blue white and red
And yellow fringe
Crazy for the blue white red and yellow
Flyingcursor
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: This is the first sentence. This is the second of the recommended sentences intended to thwart spam its. This is a third, bonus sentence!

Post by Flyingcursor »

gonzo914 wrote:
dubhlinn wrote:Loudon has recorded a lot of albums . . . .
But none match the poignancy and gut-wrenching, visceral intensity of the now-classic Dead Skunk --

"You got your dead cat and you got your dead dog
And on a moonlit night you got your dead bullfrog

You got your dead skunk in the middle of the road
Stinking to high heaven"
"Crossing the highway late last night.
He should've looked left and he shouldn've looked right.
He didn't see the station wagon car
The skunk got squashed and there you are

Chorus.

I'm crying already

I never knew who sang that.
I'm no longer trying a new posting paradigm
carrie

Post by carrie »

Wombat, Brad, gonzo (*cough*)--Thanks for the ideas! I have a feeling I'm going to go over my freebie limit, which...hmmm, I wonder...do you think that could be the whole idea behind this giveaway? Naaah.

Doug, very poignant.

Flyingcursor--here, have a tissue!

Really, thanks to all. These sound so juicy!

Carol
dubhlinn

Post by dubhlinn »

Taking the Wombats advice,always a smart move,I .ahem..got a copy of "Cloudburst" and it is one of the most amazing tracks I have ever heard. Stunning.I just got in from work about an hour ago and I have been playing it since then.
While I was ..ahem..getting that one I came across another LH+R song called "Gimme that Wine" which I had heard about twenty odd years ago and then ,for some unexplainable reason,I forgot about till today.Great stuff altogether.

"..I can't cut loose without my juice.." :lol:

I owe you one Wombat,Thanks.

Slan,
D.

W.B.Yeats