Chiff and Fipple Cookbook Anyone? (AKA: Post Recipes Here)

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!

Would you like to see a Chiff and Fipple Cookbook?

Yes, I would enjoy it and have recipies to add to it.
65%
Yes I would, though I don't think I have any recipies to add to it.
18%
No, I don't like food/burn everything I touch/just wouldn't be interested.
18%

Total votes: 40

Sunnywindo
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Sunnywindo »

I'm back! It's been an interesting week without internet and TV, kind of refreshing actually. But it's still fun to see everyone here again. :)

Flyingcursor wrote:Where's your recipe Sara?
Sorry, just made the post and unplugged the internet. Planned on posting recipies later.
Flyingcursor wrote:If you don't/can't like/drink milk white frosting or Elmer's glue might work. I've never tried it so I am not responsible for resulting GI disorders.

If you prefer insects you could use locusts or grasshoppers. Hornets would be inadvisable.

Another way to make it is to pick an potato and eat it raw. It's not quite the same but will do in a pinch.
:boggle: Really, perhaps we should stick with more palitable and/or less stomach pump inducing things? :lol:
'I wish it need not have happend in my time,' said Frodo.
'So do I,' said Gandalf, 'and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us.'

-LOTR-
Sunnywindo

Post by Sunnywindo »

Ooops! Okay, got sidetracked....

So, looks like we have enough people interested to get the ball rolling. Should we start a new thread to gather up the recipes or just continue this thread as folks have already started posting some yummy stuff here? (I'm kinda leaning towards converting this thread instead of starting another... no sense in making things more complicated?)

????????

:) Sara
'So do I,' said Gandalf, 'and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us.'

-LOTR-
Sunnywindo

Post by Sunnywindo »

Okay... thread has been upgraded. (See first post of thread.) As such, here are a few of my favorite recipes. :)

Chocolate Chip Cookies

2 c. butter (softened)
2 c. brown sugar
½ c. white sugar
3 eggs
2 Tbs. vanilla
1 ½ tsp. salt
1 ½ tsp. baking soda
6 c. flour
12 oz. package chocolate chips

Cream butter, sugars and eggs. Add vanilla, salt and soda. Finally add chocolate chips and flour. Bake on lightly greased cookie sheet at 350 for ten minutes.

Cornbread

1 ½ c. cornmeal
2 ½ c. water
2/3 c. powdered milk
2 c. flour
1 Tbs. baking powder
1 tsp. salt
2/3 c. white sugar
2 eggs
½ c. oil

Whisk together water and powdered milk in mixing bowl. Add cornmeal and allow to rest for a few minutes. Mix in eggs, sugar, oil, salt and baking powder and lastly, flour- mixing until smooth. Pour into greased 9 by 13 pan. Bake in preheated 400 degree oven for 30 to 35 minutes or until lightly golden and a knife stuck into the middle of the cornbread comes out clean.

Brownies

4 eggs
2 c. sugar
1 tsp. salt
1 ½ c. flour
1 c. butter (softened)
2 tsp. vanilla
8 Tbs. baking cocoa

Cream butter, sugar and eggs. Add remaining ingredients. Bake in greased 9x13 inch pan at 350 degrees for about 30 minutes.

Clam Chowder

8 slices of bacon
2 medium onions- chopped
10 c. diced potatoes
3 tsp. salt
1 quart half and half
½ cube butter
4 cans minced clams
pancake mix
water
pepper to taste

In large heavy pot fry bacon until crisp. Remove bacon and crumble. Sauté onions in bacon grease until translucent. Pour two cups of water into pan and then add potatoes, salt, pepper and crumbled bacon. Add more water as needed, just enough to not quite cover potatoes. Cook, stirring occasionally until potatoes are fork tender. Add butter, clams with juice and half and half. Simmer (not boil) for five minutes or until heated through. Thicken with several spoonfuls of pancake mix thinned with water, adding mixture a bit at a time to chowder until desired thickness is reached.

Yum! *drool*

:) Sara (who goes off to find something to eat)

-LOTR-
rebl_rn
antispam: No

Post by rebl_rn »

Oh my, I have hundreds of recipes that I could share. Mostly from my mom - an incredible cook! I'll start with a few of my absolute favorites (a couple of these I may have already posted on the board in the past).

Lemon Chicken with Artichokes Salad

3 cups chopped cooked chicken
1 can (14 oz) artichoke hearts, drained and quartered
1 small onion, sliced
¾ cup vegetable oil
½ cup lemon juice
¼ cup chopped fresh parsley
Salt and pepper to taste

Mix oil, lemon juice, parsley and salt and pepper. Pour over chicken, onions and artichokes. Marinate in refrigerator, stirring frequently, at least 2 hours before serving.

Tomato Salsa

2 cups peeled and chopped tomatoes
½ cup finely chopped onion
½ cup finely chopped green pepper
1 can chopped green chiles (mild)
1 tablespoon sugar
1 teaspoon salt
½ teaspoon ground cumin
½ teaspoon oregano
2 tablespoons oil
1 tablespoon lime or lemon juice
1 tablespoon vinegar
1 8oz can tomato sauce

Combine ingredients. Chill several hours. When available, substitute fresh cilantro for cumin. For hotter sauce, use 1 or 2 jalapeños for chiles.

Easy Cheesy Potato Soup

2 ½ cup water
2 tablespoon dried minced onion
2 teaspoons chicken buillon
¼ teaspoon garlic powder
1 ¼ cup Instant Potato flakes
1 ½ cup milk
1 cup (4 oz) cheddar cheese or Velveeta (Velveeta melts better)

Bring water, onion, chicken buillon and garlic powder to a boil. Cover and simmer for 5 minutes. Stir in potato flakes. Add milk and cheese, stir until cheese is melted.

This recipe can easily be doubled, tripled, quadrupled, etc to feed a large crowd

Greek Salad

4 tomatoes, peeled and cut into wedges
2 green peppers, cut into rings
1 lg. cucumber, peeled, cut lengthwise and sliced thin
1 can ripe olives
1 medium to large onion, sliced
1 ½ cup feta cheese
Dressing
½ teaspoon salt
¼ teaspoon pepper
1 clove garlic, minced
2 tablespoon lemon juice
1 tablespoon fresh chopped parsley
1 teaspoon dried oregano
½ cup vegetable or olive oil.

Combine salad ingredients in large bowl. Mix dressing ingredients together and pour over salad. Refrigerate until serving.

French Silk Pie

1 8” pie crust (baked) or graham cracker crust
½ cup butter
¾ cup sugar
2 squares unsweetened chocolate, melted and thoroughly cooled
1 teaspoon vanilla
2 eggs or pasteurized egg product equivalent

Cream butter. Gradually add sugar, creaming well. Blend in chocolate and vanilla. Add eggs or egg product, 1 at a time, beating 5 minutes after each, using medium speed.
Turn into pie shell, chill at least 2 hours. Top with whipped cream and walnuts or chocolate shavings if desired.

Phyllis' (my mom) Famous Chicken Enchiladas

12 flour tortillas
Oil for frying (optional)

Sauce

1 quart chicken broth
6 tablespoons mild chili powder
¼ teaspoon garlic salt
¼ teaspoon cumin
2 tablespoons cornstarch in 1 tablespoon water

Filling

3 cups cooked chicken, shredded
¾ cup chopped ripe olives
¾ cup blanched almonds, sliced
2 tablespoons butter
½ cup shredded cheddar cheese
½ cup sauce from above

Garnish
1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
1 pint sour cream
6 green onions, chopped

To make sauce, bring first 4 sauce ingredients to boil, add cornstarch in water and boil 1 minute. Combine chicken with other filling ingredients and set aside. Fry tortillas very quickly on both sides in hot oil, or alternatively, microwave tortillas to warm them. Wrap them in cloth towel to keep them warm. Dip tortillas in sauce, place 1-2 generous spoonfuls of filling across center and roll tightly. Place side by side in baking pan. Bake at 350° for 10 minutes. Place cheese on top and bake for 5-10 minutes more, until cheese is melted. Spoon remaining sauce over enchiladas, top with sour cream and chopped onions. Serves 4-6.

Irish Cream Cake

Cake
1 box white cake mix
1 small box instant vanilla pudding mix
1 cup Irish cream (Bailey’s or another brand)
1 cup mini chocolate chips
½ cup vegetable oil
4 eggs

Glaze
1 cup Irish Cream
3 cups confectioner’s (powdered) sugar

Preheat oven to 350°. Beat all cake ingredients at high speed until well mixed. Pour into well-greased Bundt pan. Bake at 350° for 50-55 minutes, until toothpick or wooden skewer inserted comes out clean. Whisk Irish Cream and powdered sugar together for glaze. When cake is done and still warm, remove from Bundt pan and pierce with a skewer or fork in several spots and pour glaze over cake. Cool 1-2 hours for firmness.
(Note: Can cut glaze recipe in half and still have plenty).

Tomato and Feta Bruschetta

One 14 ½ oz. can diced tomatoes (petite diced work great)
1 teaspoon olive oil
2 shallots, minced
1 teaspoon balsamic vinegar
1 teaspoon red wine vinegar
¼ cup crumbled feta cheese
½ loaf long crusty bread (French or Italian).

Drain tomatoes in colander to remove excess liquid. Heat oil in a small nonstick pan. Cook shallots in oil until golden. Stir in tomatoes and vinegars. Warm through. Stir in feta cheese. Slice bread and grill or toast. Place spoonfuls of topping on toast just before serving.
[/i]
Wash your hands. Cough and sneeze in your sleeve. Stay home if you are sick. Stay informed. http://www.cdc.gov/swineflu for more info.
Darwin

Post by Darwin »

Here are a couple more. The first one is one I had at a hotel I was staying at. I liked it well enough that I asked for the recipe, and the chef emailed it to me.

Leopard Black Bean Soup

•Ingredients

1 cup diced smoked bacon
1/2 cup diced onion
1 cup diced red, yellow, and green bell peppers
1 spicy jalapeño pepper, diced
2 oz. chopped garlic
1 qt. washed black beans
2 qt. chicken stock (rich)
2 Tbsp ground black pepper
1 tsp cayenne pepper
salt to taste

• Procedures

In a heavy sauce pot, sauté bacon until very crispy.

Add garlic, peppers, jalapeño, and onion. Sauté until lightly browned.

Add beans and remaining ingredients, and simmer until beans are soft.

You may have to add more liquid during cooking. Stir occasionally.

Contributed by Executive Chef David J. Wagner, The Leopard Lounge, The Chesterfield Hotel, 363 Cocoanut Row, Palm Beach Florida 33480

====================

Here are two that go together:

Red curry powder

This smells really good. If you don't want to cook with it, just sprinkle a little behind each ear and on your wrists.

(vary amounts to taste - this version is hot)

• Ingredients

grind together:
black peppercorns - 2 tsps
cloves - 6 each
coriander seeds - 4 tsps
whole nutmeg - 1 each

add ground spices:
allspice - 1/4 tsp
cardamon - 2 tsp
cayenne - 1/2 tsp
cinnamon - 1/4 tsp
ginger - 1/8 tsp
Hungarian paprika - 3 tsps
pasilla chili powder - 3 tsps
turmeric - 1/2 tsp

(other possible spices are cumin, fennel, black mustard seeds, and bay leaf)

• Procedures

I use a Braun coffee grinder to grind the whole spices, then add the remainder and grind the entire mixture together for several seconds to blend well.

The spices in the curry powder are based on what I like and on what I have available. This should just be a starting point for your own recipe. In the past I never pre-mixed spices — I just poured them out of jars until I liked the smell.

Instead of pasilla chili, try California or New Mexico chili powders. New Mexico tends to be hotter, so if you use that, you may want to cut the cayenne.

Inexpensive paprika may have no flavor at all.

Be careful about increasing either the cinanamon, ginger or the cloves. Any of them can easily become too dominant. To me, the most interesting thing is when you can't quite identify the ingredients.

Red Chicken Curry

• Ingredients (all amounts approximate - serves 2)

(Actually, all ingredients are negotiable.)

1 small yellow onion, 1/2" dice
1/2 red bell pepper
1/2 yellow bell pepper,
1 small mango
1 tsp chopped garlic
1 cup boiled chicken in 3/4" chunks
1 to 2 Tbsp peanut oil
1/4 cup water
1/4 cup port wine
1/8 cup dark rum
2 Tbsp Marukan rice wine vinegar
2 tsp red curry powder (or more) (see above)
salt
cooked rice

• Procedures

Peel peppers, seed, vein, and cut into 1/2" to 3/4" dice.

Peel and slice mango, being careful not to get too close to the seed where the flesh is stringy. Cut into 1/2" to 3/4" dice.

Place medium non-stick skillet on medium-high heat. Add oil. From this point on, stir pretty constantly. Add curry powder and stir well into the hot oil. This brings out the flavors in the spices.

Immediately add onion and red & yellow bell pepper. As soon as the onions start to turn translucent, add the garlic and continue stirring for about a minute.

Add rum, port, water, and vinegar. Add the mango and the chicken. Cook until liquids thicken and no longer run. There should be enough juice left to slightly moisten the rice.

Salt to taste at the last minute. Adding salt before the liquid has reduced can fool you into over-salting.

Serve over boiled white or brown rice.

• Substitutions and additions

Mango must be completely ripe. If mango is not available, Bosch pear and Granny Smith apple both work well. In that case, the addition a couple of tsps of mango chutney is also nice. Commercial chutneys tend to be salty, so you may not need any other salt. Or, use the one I posted earlier in this thread.

Other fresh peppers may be added or substituted. I have used as many as seven different kinds in one dish, including green, red, and yellow bell peppers; green, red, and white jalapeños; Anaheims; serranos; and banana peppers. Peeling the peppers is not absolutely necessary, but it enhances digestibility and improves the overall texture of the dish.

If the mango and port together are a bit sweet for your taste, try a dry (but not sour) wine, but nothing too obtrusive. Or, try brandy in place of both the wine and the rum.

If you start with raw chicken, you might need to add some more water or chicken stock to give the chicken more time to cook. This might overcook the vegetables, so an alternative would be to put the chicken in just before the garlic.

Other cooking oils may be substituted for peanut oil, but olive oil may detract from the spices.

Other onions work well, as do shallots.

====================

Peanut Blossoms

4 cups sugar 16 tbsp. milk
4 cups brown sugar 4 tsp. vanilla
4 cups shortening 14 cups flour
8 eggs 4 tsp. soda
4 cups peanut butter 4 tsp. salt

Mix, mix, mix, until you have a smooth dough.

Shape dough into balls. Roll in sugar and bake on
ungreased cookie sheet at 375 F. for 10-12 minutes.
Immediately top each cookie with a Hershey's kiss or
star pressing down firmly to crack cookie. Makes a
quite a bunch.

====================

Chewy Brown Rice Bread
(from Judy Frey)

Grainy and satisfying - firm and close-packed. Ideal for slicing thick or thin. Delicious with cheese spreads, hummus . . . in fact for any open face sandwich.

Yield - 2 loaf-shaped loaves

• Ingredients

3 cups hot water
1/4 cup unrefined oil (corn germ oil is best.)
1 Tbsp. sea salt
4 cups cooked brown rice (1-1/2 cups uncooked.)
9 to 10 cups (more or less) whole wheat flour

• Procedures

1. In a bread bowl, mix together all the ingredients except the flour.

2. Gradually add the flour, stirring after each addition, until you can't stir any more. Then mix in more flour with your hand.

3. When the dough starts holding together, lift it onto a floured counter and start kneading. This is exercise! Add more flour to keep the dough from sticking to the counter. Knead 300 times, pausing to rest any time you want along the way.

4. Shape the dough into 2 loaf-shaped loaves. The loaf shape is good so you can slice the bread for sandwiches, but any other shape works just as well.

5. Bake 1-1/4 to 1-1/2 hours at 350 degrees F. The loaves are done when they're browned and firm when you tap them.
Mike Wright

"When an idea is wanting, a word can always be found to take its place."
 --Goethe
Sunnywindo

Post by Sunnywindo »

Bump!

Some wonderful yummy (and funny) stuff so far, but there were 23 people who voted in the poll saying they had recipes to contribute and many of those 23 people have yet to do that sooooo.... :poke: (hint, hint....)

Tyghress wrote:Great idea! Tons of great recipes to share...but the logistics...oy!

Who would edit it, print it and distribute? Or just do it as an ongoing thread?
Well, I'm volunteering... if we actually got enough interest/recipes going I would be willing to edit it and put it into a format that people could download and print/put together on their computers at home. Maybe there are a few artists around here who could even do some illustrations for it? It could be fun... have sections for deserts, drinks, breads, salads, soups etc.... could even have a section of fun silly "recipes" (like the Engineer's recipe for chocolate-chip cookies or like what Will O'B posted on page 1). Any other ideas for catagories? Let's get posting folks! (Please?!?!)

:) Sara (who promises no one dropped her on her head as a child... though there was that one fall.... :P )

-LOTR-
I.D.10-t

Post by I.D.10-t »

I.D.10-t

Girdle Scones
I do not know if my cook book misspelled this one, it is prepaired on a griddle.

This creates moist scones with little fat compared to most scone recipes that I have tried.

2C all purpose flour
1Tsp Baking soda
2tsp cream of tartar
½ tsp salt
2 Tablespoons butter or margarine
2 Tablespoons Sugar
½-3/4 C Milk

Heat griddle or skillet
mix all dry ingredients (Ido not use the salt).
Cut in 2 tablespoon . Butter.
Add milk to form a soft dough.

Form 2 flat rounds ¼-1/2 inch (I pat it down on a floured board) into six wedge shapes and cook on a greased skillet until brown on one side, flip, and brown other side.

I add frozen blueberries and make them twice as thick than this recipe and cook for a long time. You could use a cookie cutter and make small rounds. Serve with honey or jelly.

They make a great weekend breakfast

You may also be suprised with plain biscuit dough that has a tablespoon of jelly placed in the center before baking

Vegetable cobbler
Strange name, it is basically vegetable stew with biscuit dough on top.

Heat the oven to the temperature that you normally bake biscuits for.
I only cook on cast iron, so you may need to adjust the steps.

Saute with butter (or favorite oil) 3 medium red potatoes in butter with 1 cup chopped onion. When almost done add 2 stalks of chopped celery, 3 chopped carrots and about ½ pound sliced mushrooms and ¼ cup of flour( if you like spices like pepper you can add it now). Add water to keep moist and from sticking until carrots and mushrooms are cooked. If you like you can add peas or sun chokes to the recipe with the carrots. Hopefully you have about ½ -3/4 of an inch from the top of your skillet or what you have pored your stew into. Add milk until the vegetables are almost covered. Place biscuit batter over the top of the stew and bake as you normally bake your biscuits. Some people use the canned kind but any rolled biscuit recipe will work. I have never tried drop biscuit dough, and I do not think it would work. Remember, if you want it to look pretty, brush milk over the top to brown.

Make sure something is under your baking pan, the milk sometimes boils over.

This is not low cal, but it reheats well, and you can serve as much or as little as you want.
Why is it that my recipies sound like something a mountian man would write?

amar
why don't you just buy some twinkies?
From a thread on Tea/appetizer recipes needed
"Be not deceived by the sweet words of proverbial philosophy. Sugar of lead is a poison."
Sunnywindo

Post by Sunnywindo »

Bump!

:poke:

This friendly reminder, brought to you by....

:) Sara (the stubborn, recipe crazed wingnut)

PS: Just made up a recipe tonight for Chocolate Pudding (made with soy milk) based off of a combination of several other recipes and a few guesses. Hubby and son liked it and I'm going to try it out on my brother and his wife tomorrow. It might need a bit more chocolate for some (solved by adding a bit more chocolate of course) and/or a bit more sweet (solved by adding a little more sugar) but it seemed just about right to us. Be brave... give it a try, tweak if neccessary. This makes a huge batch so cut it in half if you don't want so much.

6 1/3 c. regular soy milk (fresher good stuff often found near the milk in the dairy case)

1 1/2 c. white sugar

1/4 t. salt

Mix these three ingrediants in a heavy sauce pan and bring to a good boil stirring frequently. In a separate bowl, mix:

8 T. unsweetened baking cocoa
3/4 c. cornstarch

then carefully add to the powder mixture

1 1/2 c. water

mixing until smooth.

Turn down boiling milk mixture to low heat and add chocolate mix stirring rapidly with wire wisk while adding. Cook for about 2 minutes, stirring constantly. (If you don't stir a lot, you risk burning the bottom and/or steam not being released fast enough, building up and making the pudding runny... so I've been told anyhow.)

Then add

1 cup semi sweet chocolate chips (or possibly your favorite chocolate equivilant... was thinking tonight a dark chocolate bar cut up in pieces might be yummy.)

Stir and cook about another two minutes.

Then add 6 egg yolks, slightly beaten before addding and then stir like crazy while adding so they will blend well. Then cook for one to two more minutes and then allow to cool. Place a piece of wax paper on top after it cools a little bit if you don't like skin forming on top.

* For folks that don't like eggs, you could make due without adding them and it would still be okay. Also, could probably use real milk, but our family loves the soy milk. Double also... most recipes mentioned adding a little vanilla (like a teaspoon or so) but I forgot to, though it still tasted all right. But if you like vanilla, you might want to know.

:)

-LOTR-
dapple

Post by dapple »

You are right, Sara. I voted for a C&F cookbook but didn’t post any recipes. So here goes.

I expecially like soup, stew, and chili this time of the year. Here are my three favorites.

GREEN CHILI STEW (from Jeff Smith)

3 pounds boneless pork, cubed (½" pieces)
3 T peanut oil
3 stalks chopped celery
2 medium diced tomatoes
7 green chilies, roasted, peeled, seeded & chopped
4 cloves of garlic, peeled & crushed
beans
chicken soup stock or canned broth or water (not bullion)
salt & pepper to taste
hot sauce of your choice

* Brown pork in oil, doing so in 2 or 3 batches (using a large black frying pan will make meat brown quickly).
* Place meat in 3 or 4 quart covered oven casserole and add the rest of the ingredients.
* Deglaze frying pan with chicken broth or water and add to pot.
* Barely cover ingredients with chicken broth or water.
* Chicken broth may make stew too rich for some, so try water or half and half if desired (although I prefer all broth).
* Cover and simmer until stew is thick and meat very tender, about 1½ hours.
* Add cooked beans (although kidney beans are my favorite overall, great northern beans are best in this stew) to the pot and hot sauce to my individual serving
* the stew makes a great enchilada filling and is good served with big green salad and tortillas or with sharp cheese and green onions on top.

JEANNE OWEN'S CHILI CON CARNE (from James Beard)

1/3 cup Olive oil
3 lb Beef round, lean, 1" cubes
2 Onions, medium, finely chopped
3 Garlic cloves, medium, finely chopped
Salt to taste
4 cup Water, boiling
1 t Caraway seeds
2 t Sesame seeds
½ t Oregano, ground, preferably Mexican
4 T Red chili, ground, hot-mild
1 cup Olives, green, pitted
2 cans Kidney beans (16 ounce each)

* Heat the oil in a large sauté pan or 6-quart braising pan over medium heat.
* Add the beef cubes a few at a time, stirring to brown evenly. As they are browned, remove cubes to a plate and set aside, add more cubes to the pan. Continue the process, adding more oil if necessary, until all the meat is browned.
* Add the onions to the pan and cook, stirring, for a few minutes, then add the garlic. Cook until the onions are translucent.
* Return the beef cubes to the pan, season with salt to taste, then add the boiling water, caraway and sesame seeds, and oregano. Bring to a boil, then lower the heat and simmer, covered, for 1 hour.
* Gradually stir in the ground chili, tasting until you achieve the degree of hotness and flavor that suit your palate.
* Add the olives and simmer, covered, 1 hour longer.
* Taste and adjust seasonings, then mix in the kidney beans and heat through.
* Eat with toasted French bread or tortillas or corn bread or crisp green salad.

BLACK BEAN SOUP (my own ever-changing concoction)

2 pounds dried black beans
4 cups cubed, smoked ham
4 ham hocks
½ cup finely chopped onion
2 cloves minced garlic
1 to 2 T liquid smoke
2 pints sliced, fresh mushrooms, pan fried in olive oil
1 T cayenne pepper
1 to 2 T soy sauce (my secret ingredient)
2 bay leaves

* Soak beans overnight.
* The next day drain and rinse beans, cover with water, and cook with tilted lid for about 2 hours (watch carefully and/or add some olive oil to help prevent boiling over), but this time do NOT drain beans.
* Stir in remaining ingredients.
* Heat to boiling, then reduce heat and simmer with tilted lid for about 1½ hours (watch carefully to prevent boiling over) until beans are tender.
* Add water if necessary or desired.
* Remove ham hocks, trim meat, and return meat to soup.
* To thicken broth consistency, mash some beans.
* Add salt and pepper to taste.
* Add vinegar or hot sauce to individual portions if desired.
~ David
Feadan
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by Feadan »

Turkeyherd’s Pie

This is a family favorite at my house. I developed this recipe shortly after I got married 17 years ago but this is the first time I’ve ever tried to fit it to any precise measurements. It certainly won’t win any quick meal awards but it has never failed to please my kids (and my wife) when I make it. I use these proportions to make 2 pies (1 large and 1 small) whether cooking for a potluck or my family of five. No one has ever complained about eating the leftovers. :)

INGREDIENTS:

2.5lbs ground turkey
5lbs red potatoes
2 medium onions, chopped
1 ½ Tbsp minced garlic (more or less to taste)
1 ½ cups baby carrots, quartered
1 ½ cups frozen corn
1 ½ cups frozen peas
grated cheese
milk
butter
olive oil
¼ cup of white wine (or red)
¼ cup soy sauce or tamari
6 cubes chicken bullion
2 Tbsp corn starch + 2 Tbsp cold water
1 Tbsp dried parsley
¼ tsp ground sage
2 tsp crushed rosemary
1 tsp thyme
paprika (optional)
fresh ground pepper (4 pepper blend preferably)

Peel (if desired) and cut up potatoes. Put them in a pot of water to boil. While the potatoes are cooking cut up the baby carrots and set aside. Next chop up the onions and garlic. In a 12” skillet brown the onions and garlic in olive oil. Add the ground turkey chopping it up with a spatula.

When the meat seems about halfway to done add the ground pepper and the herbs and mix them in well and then add the carrots. Let it cook over medium heat while you prepare the base for your gravy.

Put ¼ cup of wine (white is best but red works nicely too) in a measuring cup and add six bullion cubes. Place in a microwave on high for about 2 minutes. Remove from microwave and use a fork to stir and break up the bullion that isn’t already dissolved. Add to this ¼ cup of good soy sauce or tamari.

When the meat is thoroughly brown add the frozen corn & peas. Cover and cook for another 5-7 minutes or so while you prepare your cornstarch solution. In a small glass add the cold water to the cornstarch. Stir with a fork to get all of the cornstarch dissolved.

Remove cover from meat and vegetables and add the wine/soy sauce/bullion mixture. Stir and then level the top of the mixture with the spatula. Add enough more water to bring the level of liquid just below the top of the meat & veggies. Stir in the cornstarch solution to thicken the liquid into a gravy. Mix and add more cornstarch solution if needed to your taste. When gravy is thickened to your liking turn heat to a low simmer (or off). Preheat the oven to 350º

Mash the potatoes adding butter and milk to taste. Fill a 9 x 13” casserole dish about halfway with the meat/vegetable/gravy mixture and put the remaining in a suitable smaller casserole dish (last time I used an 8” diameter round 1 ½ qt. dish). Clean your spatula. It is now a “trowel”. Use it to add a top layer of mashed potatoes to the casserole dishes. Smooth out the top of the mashed potatoes and sprinkle on your favorite grated cheese (I like sharp cheddar myself) to taste. Place in the oven until all the cheese is evenly melted. Remove from oven, sprinkle on a bit of paprika (optional) and serve.
chas
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by chas »

Last night's dinner was Indian chicken meatballs (koftas), curried chickpeas, aromatic yellow rice, and naan. I actually bought the naan, although I've made it before, and consulted a couple of books for the beans and koftas. But they go something like this:

chicken koftas

for the sauce:

5 Tbsp oil
1 large onion
5 cloves garlic
1" cube of ginger
1" stick cinnamon
5 or so cloves
5 or so cardamom pods
1 tsp cumin
1 tsp ground coriander
1 tsp sweet paprika
cayenne to taste
1 tsp salt, or to taste
1 tomato, peeled and diced (I usually add a little sauce or paste)
5 tbsp yogurt
2 c water

for the meatballs

1 lb ground chicken
1 t cumin
1 t turmeric
1 tbsp fresh cilantro, or 1 tsp dried
dash cayenne
3 tbsp yogurt
(the recipe doesn't call for them, but I also put in an egg and breadcrumbs)

mix together the stuff for the meatballs

heat oil over a high flame. Add the whole spices, then a few seconds later when they start to plump, add the onion. Fry, stirring constantly till it turns a light brown. Add the garlic and ginger, stirfry for a few more minutes, then add the powdered spices. Add the yogurt, 1 tbsp at a time, and stir till it's totally incorporated -- this is important, otherwise it will curdle. Add the tomatoes, then slowly add the water. The meatballs should be about 1" in diameter and 2" long, sort of like stubby hotdogs. Cook at least 20 minutes, and until the sauce becomes kind of thick.

Curried chickpeas

3 c cooked chickpeas (I usually just cook a pound, which makes somewhat more)
a few cloves
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1 tsp cumin
some garlic
1/2 tsp cayenne
1 tsp coriander
1/2 tsp ginger
2 Tbsp lemon juice

drain the chickpeas. heat a couple of tbsp of oil over a medium flame. Add all the spices and stirfry them for a couple of minutes. Add a handful of chickpeas and mash them. Then add the rest of the chickpeas and enough liquid to more or less cover them. Cook for 20 minutes, then add the lemon juice. I usually have some stuff called amchur powder around and use this instead of the lemon juice. It takes a couple of tablespoons. The recipe also calls for a diced tomato; I usually forego this.

Aromatic yellow rice

1 c basmati rice
water

7 cloves
1" stick cinnamon
1 bay leaf
1 tsp turmeric
a couple of cardamom pods or a tsp of cardamom seeds

1-1/3 c water

put the rice in a pot (2 qt is fine) and add water till the rice is covered by an inch or so. Soak at least half an hour, then drain and rinse. Ad 1-1/3 c water and all the spices. Bring to a boil and simmer 15-20 minutes.

This sounds like a lot of work, but it's really not. I often do the koftas and rice for dinner on weeknights; it's maybe 1/2 hour of effort and 1 hour beginning to end. You can always just substitute your favorite curry powder for the individual spices, except for in the rice.
Charlie
Whorfin Woods
"Our work puts heavy metal where it belongs -- as a music genre and not a pollutant in drinking water." -- Prof Ali Miserez.
Sunnywindo

Post by Sunnywindo »

Bump!

:poke: (some more)

(*wonders how many times it's practical or even decent to bump this thread*)

Thanks for all those who have shared such yummy stuff! Still I know there are more out there who talked like they might post something but haven't. Please post!

Think I'll keep bumping this post until the end of the month (unless there are objections) and then I'm going to put together a printable book of what folks have posted here as well as in past posts for those who might enjoy that sort of thing, whether folks post more recipes or not, though I hope folks will post more. (Why? Because it's fun.)

Did a search for "recipe" and a lot came up. Seems like folks like to talk about food a lot around here, at least in reference, but there are a fair number of actual recipes. A sampling of threads that seemed to get beyond reference and have a few actual recipes to them:

English image of Biscuits & Gravy
http://chiffboard.mati.ca/viewtopic.php ... pe&start=0

OT: Favorite Thanksgiving recipes and hints

Holiday Recipes
http://chiffboard.mati.ca/viewtopic.php ... ipe#290880

Way OT: Favorite Smoothie Recipes?
http://chiffboard.mati.ca/viewtopic.php ... ipe#257221

Non-North Americans...sweets question
http://chiffboard.mati.ca/viewtopic.php ... ipe#250590

Call for recipes (looks like someone else thought this was a good idea to?)
http://chiffboard.mati.ca/viewtopic.php ... ipe#237852

OT: What 'cha got cookin'?

a pie chart
http://chiffboard.mati.ca/viewtopic.php ... e&start=15

OT: real biscuits
http://chiffboard.mati.ca/viewtopic.php ... ipe#165552

O.T. Cornbread discovery!!!

OT: Soup
http://chiffboard.mati.ca/viewtopic.php ... ipe#123441

Out of time for the moment. Anyone got more to add?

Don't know about you, but all that made me hungry.

:) Sara (*goes off to raid fridge*)

-LOTR-
Sunnywindo

Post by Sunnywindo »

Bump.

:-? Thought someone posted another recipe here, only to come back later and see it gone. Mmmmm, hope they come back.

:) Sara (*get's down on knees and pleads for more recipes from the folks of Chiff Land*)

-LOTR-
spittin_in_the_wind

Curried Pork Chops

Post by spittin_in_the_wind »

Curried Pork Chops:

Take some thin-sliced pork chops and sprinkle both sides with salt. Rub on both sides a very generous amount of store-bought curry powder (the standard kind like McCormicks). Fry in a frying pan with some oil on both sides until done. Super easy and really good--the regular curry powder isn't hot at all, my 8 year-old loves this. Serve with white rice, plain yogurt, and hot Indian pickle if you dare.

Robin
rebl_rn

Post by rebl_rn »

I just "borrowed" from my mom (fabulous cook) a huge boxful of recipes to sort out and go through. I've just gotten started but here's some more yummmmy stuff.

BAKLAVA ROUNDS
16 pieces filo, thawed
2 cups ground walnuts
1/2 cup sugar
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1 cup butter, melted
1 cup sugar
1 cup water
1 small cinnamon stick
1 tablespoon honey
1 teaspoon lemon juice
Orange peel from 1/2 orange

Put filo between two sheets of plastic wrap to prevent drying.

Mix nuts with sugar and cinnamon in a medium bowl.

Place one piece of dough on large sheet of heavy-duty aluminum foil and brush with melted butter. Place 2 tablespoons of nuts on pastry and spread very gently with spatula. Place second sheet of filo over nuts and repeat until all filo and nuts are used. Roll up, jelly-roll style, using foil to guide pastry.

Brush butter all over top and sides and cut into 15 slices. Arrange in a 13x9x2 inch baking pan. Bake in 350 degree oven for 20 minutes; lower heat to 300 degrees and bake 30 minutes longer, or until pastry rounds are golden.

Meanwhile, combine remaining ingredients in small saucepan and boil for 15 minutes- set aside. While rounds are still hot, drizzle with syrup.

PIZZA DIP

1 package (8 oz) cream cheese, softened
1 jar (14 oz) pizza sauce
1/3 cup onions, chopped
1 1/2 cups mozzarella cheese, grated
1 can (6 oz) ripe olives, drained and chopped
2 ounces pepperoni slices, chopped

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Press cream cheese in bottom of 9 inch glass pie pan. Spread pizza sauce over cream cheese and layer remaining ingredients in order listed. Bake for 25 minutes.
Serve with light corn chips.

REUBEN SPREAD

2 1/2 cups corned beef brisket, cubed
16 ounces sauerkraut, rinsed and drained
8 ounces Swiss cheese, shredded
8 ounces cheddar cheese, shredded
1 cup mayonnaise
snack rye bread

In a slow cooker, combine the first five ingredients and mix well. Cover and cook on low for 3 hours, stirring occasionally. Serve warm on rye bread.

VIDALIA ONION AND TOMATO SALAD
1 large vidalia onion
2 large tomatoes
1/2 pound mozzarella cheese
6 tablespoons olive oil
2 tablespoons wine vinegar
1/4 cup fresh basil leaf, chopped
1/2 teaspoon garlic, finely minced
black pepper, to taste

Slice tomatoes and cheese into thick slices. Slice the vidalia onion into thin slices; chill for best flavor. On salad plates, arrange the tomatoes, onion, and cheese in overlapping design. In a large measuring cup combine the oil, vinegar, garlic, and black pepper. Use a whisk to blend well. While still stirring, pour over the vegetables. Garnish with chopped basil. Serve immediately.
Wash your hands. Cough and sneeze in your sleeve. Stay home if you are sick. Stay informed. http://www.cdc.gov/swineflu for more info.