What Material Do You Prefer?

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.

What Material is your favorite for a Whistle?

Brass
32%
Aluminum
18%
Nickel
6%
PVC
8%
Derlin/Poly
3%
Wood
32%

Total votes: 65

dapple

Post by dapple »

To my earlier post in which I said that my favorite materials are Aluminum and Bakelite Composite, let me add Delrin.

During my one year of whistling, I have purchase approximately twenty whistles, and none of them are wood. I have kept to non-wood materials because I have learned from reading C&F (where I have obtained most of my knowledge about the instruments) that wood whistles require more maintenance, including oiling, can crack, are susceptible to temperature and humidity changes, need to be properly broken in, etc.

Since wood require more maintenance, what makes wood desirable? Would a wood Busman sound woodier than my Delrin Busman? Can I get more depth and complexity of sound from a wood whistle than I get from my Overtons? Does a wood whistle play any easier than my Burkes? Does wood simply feel better?

I certainly am not trying to convince anyone that wood isn’t the best material or shouldn’t be his or her favorite material; I just want to understand. Those people who have said they prefer wood have not said why, and I’d like to know. Maybe some day I will try wood, but I don’t know why I would.
~ David
TooTs

Post by TooTs »

I like my wood cause it sounds better than my metal ones.

This was made in an Afgan refugee camp, i retuned it and refinished it. It's got such a lovely sound.
oscartherabbit
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by oscartherabbit »

Definately PVC.
You don't stop playing when you get old. You get old when you stop playing.
izzarina

Post by izzarina »

I said wood. Wood is just so warm and wonderful sounding. I love it.
Someday, everything is gonna be diff'rent
When I paint my masterpiece.
Wanderer
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I've like been here forever ;)
But I guess you gotta filter out the spambots.
100 characters? Geeze.

Post by Wanderer »

I'm of the opinion that the internal dimensions of an instrument have more to do with how an instrument sounds than the material...
I've heard nickel and brass copelands played in the same session, for instance, and they seem practically indistinguishable.

So, I chose wood..because I think it just looks so classy ;)
dapple

Post by dapple »

Thanks for your comments. Wood, indeed, does look classy, and well-finished wood whistles are incomparably beautiful, but I remember reading comments by C&F members about how, if blindfolded, they could not tell the difference between, for instance, their wood and Delrin Busmans.
~ David
Unseen122
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Of course I'm not a bot; I've been here for years... Apparently that isn't enough to pass muster though!

Post by Unseen122 »

The only reason I don't have a wooden whsitle is that I can't afford one but I like wooden instruments in general I feel more connected to the instrument when it is wooden because it is organic.
RonKiley

Post by RonKiley »

I do not have a wood whistle. I want one. However, we must establish priorities. I need a miter saw more than a wood whistle. After all a miter saw can cut wood. It might even cut the blank for a wooden whistle head. Maybe a wood head and a brass or aluminum tube.

Just thinking.

Ron
I've never met a whistle I didn't want.