Accompanying uilleann pipes

A forum about Uilleann (Irish) pipes and the surly people who play them.
rgouette
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: “I have told you these things, so that in me you may have peace. In this world you will have trouble. But take heart! I have overcome the world.”

~Jesus of Nazareth

Accompany me

Post by rgouette »

Oh man, I gotta chime in on this one: though I'm fairly new to the scene, I was first drawn in via Brian O Brien playing on the Riverdance video, in which he of course is playing(Lament) against the huge synth thing...Really moving.

I, like another poster, was not "born into" the traditional Irish music scene, though I certainly have immense respect for the mastery of traditional Uilleann piping.
I'm basically an 80's boy, having grown up with the likes of Boston, Journey, Rush...etc and that I feel would certainly influence how I use the pipes.

I have recorded a little, and find that I really enjoy playing along with either synth, harp, guitar, whatever!
I really like some stuff Davey S. does: also, Lliam O Flynn I find is a master at his craft, especially his work with Galician pipers, elec guitar, etc.

One tune that moves me is Secret Garden's "Hymn to Hope".

I am part of a newly forming musical theater here in Maine, and fully intend on using Uilleann pipe in the pit, along with keys, etc.

I say, thank God for the Irish & Uilleann pipes!!!!!
PJ
Tell us something.: ......................................................................................................

Post by PJ »

Daveboling,

Apart from the Brendan Voyage, there's Granuaile, also by Shaun Davey. It features UP in 2 or maybe 3 tracks. Of course there's the original Riverdance (not the show but the intermission in Eurosong 92) which featured the RTE Concert Orchestre. My personal favourite orchestre/up collaboration is the Saville Suite by Bill Whelan.

Liam O'Flynn has other collaborations with orchestres, such as Bean Dubh an Ghleanna on the Piper's Call. I love to play that and immediately after listen to Moving Hearts - McBrides. Better than a strong cup of coffee.
Antaine

Post by Antaine »

mar 2 8pm montclair state university McEachern Recital Hall...free admission and reception to follow...(not my recital...i'm not even a music major, but i will be the only usage of the UP by any composer at MSU to anyone's knowledge or record
{][_||_______||_][___o__o__O___o__O__º__º__]]_]
         \\
           \\
Antaine

Post by Antaine »

Sorry Dave, I thought you said "where"...I'm playing in the premier of Air: In Sunshine Or In Shadow...i'ts an orchestral piece that i don't know if it can be considered "A Variation On Danny Boy" but that is certainly how I would describe my part.
{][_||_______||_][___o__o__O___o__O__º__º__]]_]
         \\
           \\
PJ
Tell us something.: ......................................................................................................

Post by PJ »

Antaine wrote:it can be considered "A Variation On Danny Boy" but that is certainly how I would describe my part.
Sorry to hear that, Antaine ...

But seriously, best of luck with the show. The pipes with orchestre - hope you're not getting ideas about yourself!!
John Dally
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by John Dally »

When you're sitting in a concert hall it's hard to argue with the wall of sound a band like Lunasa produces. But when you get to put the headphones on, lay on the couch and close your eyes, it's got to be Brian McNamara, Jerry O'Sullivan, Mick O'Brien all on their own, or with a fiddle or flute at the most. In a session, it's great to have a strummer who keeps the beat, who will hold the line against the folks who go faster, and faster, and faster.

I agree with the earlier comment that guitar players can wreck the rhythm if they don't have the right feel for it. But then again, there's Planxty with sometime three rhythm string instruments backing up Liam O'Flynn. I wish more strummers had the feel of Lunny, Irvine or Moore.

The misty star gazing stuff of Spillane was made to get girls. It's like Alasdair Fraser on the fiddle today. In fact, you can almost tell how "romantic" the music will be by how long and curly the guy's hair is.
PJ

Post by PJ »

John Dally wrote:But when you get to put the headphones on, lay on the couch and close your eyes, it's got to be Brian McNamara, Jerry O'Sullivan, Mick O'Brien all on their own, or with a fiddle or flute at the most.
You do realise that it's only a musical instrument??

Obviously, there are enough hard core pipers out there to justify a thriving industry in flat sets, but, lets face, they virtually guarantee that you'll have to play on your own.

Occasionally, a good exhibition piece of piping, with full on drones and regulators can be really uplifting - one of the best examples of this is Paddy Keenan playing Garret Barry/Bucks of Oranmore on the Bothy Band's album Live at the BBC. However, on the whole, I still think that uilleann pipes are much better with other instruments.
Chadd

Post by Chadd »

John Dally wrote:The misty star gazing stuff of Spillane was made to get girls... In fact, you can almost tell how "romantic" the music will be by how long and curly the guy's hair is.
Interesting theory. It seems to hold up across genres:
ImageImageImageImageImage

Of course, one of these guys is wearing a wig, so I guess he doesn't really count. :wink:
djm

Post by djm »

RG wrote:I'm basically an 80's boy, having grown up with the likes of Boston, Journey, Rush
Wow! Rush. I haven't thought about them in a long time. Good ol' Geddy Lee - heart of a lion, voice of a chipmunk. :D

Would any of you who prefer the newer trendier bands/shows plus UPs consider that maybe you want to change something like ITM because you are not as familiar with it, and therefore feel a need to change it to something you're more comfortable with? I'm not a dyed-in-the-wool hard-core purist or anything, but I accept my newness to the music and leave room to learn the tradition from whence the music and the instrument came from.

Sorry, but quoting Riverdance as a source of ITM is like saying Lawrence Welk is the height of jazz.

djm
I'd rather be atop the foothills than beneath them.
rgouette
Tell us something.: “I have told you these things, so that in me you may have peace. In this world you will have trouble. But take heart! I have overcome the world.”

~Jesus of Nazareth

ITM

Post by rgouette »

Had to think what ITM meant..
Irish Traditional Music, methinks (Rich shows his newbieness)

If so, why would you possibly think I intend to "want to change something like ITM because you are not as familiar with it"

You mistook my meaning my friend. I was only dialoging about what has inspired me thus far.
I would not dream of, nor am I smart enough to influence/change somethign that has survived this long.

One thing that attracted me to Uilleann pipes,early on, was the fact that I was told that there's room for the musician to play tune(s) with a bit of your own flavor/technique thrown in: in other words, as opposed to GHB, where if you miss a D throw, or a certain ornamentation etc you're considered as having "goofed". up the tune.

So, hopefully I'm not being underatood as trying to reshape or remake ANYTHING. I would not have that for the world.

In fact, I own a set of GHB, and I'm "self taught".
That is to say, when I play them, folks generally are very favorable and comment on how cool it is: but I'm quick to say that I'm not a real piper in the sense that if a trained piper were to listen & watch, he or she would probably cringe.

Not sure why I say all that...

cheers!!!
Rich
rgouette

~Jesus of Nazareth

ITM addendum

Post by rgouette »

Was just re-reading earlier post.

DJM, Not sure why you might think I was listing Riverdance Lament as a source of ITM?

I'm persuing Uilleann pipes because they are a unique instrument, producing a sound I've not heard before, and they have the unique ability to move the soul when played skillfully.
I know I'm waxing mushy here, with the soul talk, but hey, I didn't invent the things!

:D
Joseph E. Smith

Post by Joseph E. Smith »

djm wrote:Wow! Rush. I haven't thought about them in a
long time. Good ol' Geddy Lee - heart of a lion,
voice of a chipmunk. :D
:lol: :lol: :lol:

I used to spend Waaaaaaay
too much time listening to
RUSH...2112, Moving Pictures,
Fly By Night, and on and on.... :D
rgouette

~Jesus of Nazareth

Rush

Post by rgouette »

Oh man, I used to sit & play along to 2112 front to back & again...
Cut my guitar teeth on that album!

..yeah, right..
John Dally

Post by John Dally »

PJ wrote: You do realise that it's only a musical instrument??
:lol: :lol: :lol:
wink, wink, nudge, nudge, say no more, say no more
:wink: :wink: :twisted: :wink:
Joseph E. Smith

Post by Joseph E. Smith »

PJ wrote:...You do realise that it's only a musical instrument??
...then why in Hell do you care, or want to learn how to play them? I'd say they (Uilleann Pipes) have got a serious grip on you, causing you to obssess, rant and rave and drool at the mouth, justify spending so much time here like the rest of us freaks arguing about largely useless topics, getting heated over 'diddley squat', laughing, crying, distancing yourself further away from the world of the sane and the rest of humanity just for one more friggin FIX of PIPING!!!!!.....*pant*....*pant*....*pant*....

...Christ! I need a drink.............. :P