How many cats live with you?

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!

How many cats live with you?

none
29%
1 or two
47%
between three and five
20%
more than five
2%
thirty-seven
2%

Total votes: 51

rodfish
antispam: No

Post by rodfish »

Cranberry wrote: Cats play mind games, though, and dogs are too stupid to know how.
Yep, cats are really smart all right. :D
In fact you never hear about them doing those dumb things dogs do, like...

warning someone of an approaching tidal wave;
rescuing a drowning boy from a raging river;
leading an elderly person from a burning building;
keeping a small lost child warm all night long;
guiding and protecting the blind;
tracking down and apprehending criminals;
protecting their owners and their owner's property while they sleep;

yep, cats are way too smart to do those kinds of things; but they do...

scratch furniture;
poop in their little sand boxes; :P
shed hair all over the house;
hack up hair balls with great decorum!
And of course, "play mind games."

Aren't they great!? :roll:

(worth about as much as those hairballs they regurgitate.) :lol:

Rod
"A word aptly spoken is like apples of gold in settings of silver."
missy
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by missy »

no cats - in my case, if I'm in a house with cats, after 15 minutes, I have no voice, my eyes are swollen shut, and I wheeze. If I even attempt to sleep in a house with cats, I need asthma medication.

Have two dogs - both boxers - both adopted from rescue. There is one brain cell between them, I ask them in the morning who has custody for the day.

As for the cat with the "elizabethan collar" on it - we once had a dalmation who had surgery, and we had to have a collar, and a muzzle on him so he didn't rip out the stitches. Noah was about a year and a half old, and the goofy dog had NO idea where that collar was in relation to his body. He kept knocking Noah down every time he walked past. The dog also got stuck numerous times under the kitchen table. He wasn't real smart, either. Gee - there seems to be something with me and not too smart dogs..........

Missy
Missy

"When facts are few, experts are many"

http://www.strothers.com
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Post by Nanohedron »

GaryKelly wrote:Cats suck.

They're cruel and evil, and there's a reason they've always been witches' familiars. They'll steal a baby's breath, for one thing. And they won't fetch sticks or balls for another.
Not entirely true: I had a cat, Carl, who'd run after a tennis ball and bring it back for more. True story. Then again, he also loved being slid along the floor lying down on his side (think curling, but with much more velocity), and would get up on his paws mid-slide and keep sliding standing up untill he stopped. Then he'd trot on back and we'd do it all over again. He was a cobby little toughy.
jsluder

Post by jsluder »

Nanohedron wrote:

They're cruel and evil, and there's a reason they've always been witches' familiars. They'll steal a baby's breath, for one thing. And they won't fetch sticks or balls for another.
Not entirely true: I had a cat, Carl, who'd run after a tennis ball and bring it back for more. True story. Then again, he also loved being slid along the floor lying down on his side (think curling, but with much more velocity), and would get up on his paws mid-slide and keep sliding standing up untill he stopped. Then he'd trot on back and we'd do it all over again. He was a cobby little toughy.
When I was in grade school, we had a deranged cat named Jumper. He was named Jumper because he would jump up and try to catch airplanes that flew over our property. Did I mention that he was deranged?
Giles: "We few, we happy few."
Spike: "We band of buggered."
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Post by Nanohedron »

Too funny. :lol:
chas
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by chas »

Nanohedron wrote:

I have a cat who plays fetch. It's with rubber bands, though, and she usually only carries them halfway back. She walks the rest of the way back, marks me and looks up as though she really expects the rubber band to tunnel back to me or something. Sweet cat, but about as sharp as the leading edge of a basketball.

John, thanks for the heads-up on the Miyazaki movies.
Charlie
Whorfin Woods
"Our work puts heavy metal where it belongs -- as a music genre and not a pollutant in drinking water." -- Prof Ali Miserez.
kkrell
Tell us something.: Mostly producer of the Wooden Flute Obsession 3-volume 6-CD 7-hour set of mostly player's choice of Irish tunes, played mostly solo, on mostly wooden flutes by approximately 120 different mostly highly-rated traditional flute players & are mostly...

Post by kkrell »

One former feral at home, feed 40 at the park.

Kevin Krell
International Traditional Music Society, Inc.
A non-profit 501c3 charity/educational public benefit corporation
Wooden Flute Obsession CDs (3 volumes, 6 discs, 7 hours, 120 players/tracks)
https://www.worldtrad.org
Paul

Post by Paul »

We have 4 cats...

Daisy: A gray and white standoffish and particular princess
Hello Kitty: An albino and undisputed benevolent dictator of the house
Snow-Inky: A handsome and gentle prince of a fellow. Looks like a holstein cow
Cool Jack: He is a tuxedo cat and a little troublemaker. My wife thinks he looks like Jack Nicholson, hence the name.

and a Golden retriever: Ginger Bear who probably wonders what she did to deserve living with all those cats. She's a real sweetie.
spittin_in_the_wind

Post by spittin_in_the_wind »

TomB wrote:No cats- we like them, and would have them, but both the wife and I are allergic to some cats- not all, but we would not want to take one home and then find out we are allergic, only to have to give it back. That would big time suck.

I guess there are styles of kitties out there that are not supposed to cause allergic reactions, but I haven't seen any of those that I like.

All the Best, Tom
mamakash

Post by mamakash »

spittin_in_the_wind wrote:
TomB wrote:No cats- we like them, and would have them, but both the wife and I are allergic to some cats- not all, but we would not want to take one home and then find out we are allergic, only to have to give it back. That would big time suck.

I guess there are styles of kitties out there that are not supposed to cause allergic reactions, but I haven't seen any of those that I like.

All the Best, Tom
Eek! :boggle:

I love cats, but am allergic. I enjoy visiting my dad and spending time with the cat, who likes me but doesn't like many people. Sometimes I come home stuffed up with watery eyes and sometimes I'm fine. I'll bet the fireplace has something to do with it, as well.
I sing the birdie tune
It makes the birdies swoon
It sends them to the moon
Just like a big balloon
cowtime

Post by cowtime »

rodfish wrote:
Cranberry wrote: Cats play mind games, though, and dogs are too stupid to know how.
Yep, cats are really smart all right. :D
In fact you never hear about them doing those dumb things dogs do, like...

warning someone of an approaching tidal wave;
rescuing a drowning boy from a raging river;
leading an elderly person from a burning building;
keeping a small lost child warm all night long;
guiding and protecting the blind;
tracking down and apprehending criminals;
protecting their owners and their owner's property while they sleep;

yep, cats are way too smart to do those kinds of things; but they do...

scratch furniture;
poop in their little sand boxes; :P
shed hair all over the house;
hack up hair balls with great decorum!
And of course, "play mind games."

Aren't they great!? :roll:

(worth about as much as those hairballs they regurgitate.) :lol:

Rod
LOL!!!! How true.......

Oh and I would add that cats may keep themselves clean but they like to trash their environment.
"Let low-country intruder approach a cove
And eyes as gray as icicle fangs measure stranger
For size, honesty, and intent."
John Foster West
TomB

Post by TomB »

spittin_in_the_wind wrote:

All the Best, Tom

Umm, Robyn, what the hell is that?

Tom
"Consult the Book of Armaments"
Flyingcursor
Tell us something.: This is the first sentence. This is the second of the recommended sentences intended to thwart spam its. This is a third, bonus sentence!

Post by Flyingcursor »

Anybody know why a cat has the primordial need to walk in front of you then suddenly stop?
I'm no longer trying a new posting paradigm
aderyn_du

Post by aderyn_du »

Flyingcursor wrote:Anybody know why a cat has the primordial need to walk in front of you then suddenly stop?
Yes. It's to say, "Human, you are deemed worthy of my brief attention. Take a moment to bask in my glory because the moment will be fleeting."
Music melts all the separate parts of our bodies together. ~Anais Nin
GaryKelly

Post by GaryKelly »

Flyingcursor wrote:Anybody know why a cat has the primordial need to walk in front of you then suddenly stop?
Revenge. Triggered by some genetic memory, nothing to do with you. They are cruel. The evil ones do that to you at the top of the stairs...
Image "It might be a bit better to tune to one of my fiddle's open strings, like A, rather than asking me for an F#." - Martin Milner