Christo's Gates

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!

Christo's Gates thumbs up or thumbs down?

Yes and more like it, please
25%
Not my cup of tea but more money for other arts
20%
It's a free country, and I can take or leave it.
35%
It's a free country, but this is ridiculous
10%
It is a total waste of money, time and energy
10%

Total votes: 20

BillChin
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Christo's Gates

Post by BillChin »

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/ar ... Feb12.html

The 7,500 fabric "gates" unfurled Saturday in Central Park, courtesy of local artists Christo and Jeanne-Claude, are charming bits of civic ornament. They're drawing New Yorkers out in crowds to stroll among and under them, and should continue to do so for the two weeks that they're up.
$21 million before it's done. (But then, that's only one-fifth what has been paid for a mediocre Picasso, so maybe that return is about right.)
<snipped>

The poll question is: was the money well spent?
It was all privately raised by the artist.
Doug_Tipple
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by Doug_Tipple »

I don't like any of the choices in the survey. I saw the exhibit on TV, but it isn't possible to make a decision on a 20" screen. I do believe that that much saffron, all in on place, is a bit over done. I am a green guy, myself!
Miwokhill

Post by Miwokhill »

My first impression with Christo's works as well as alot of modern art is that it's a bit ridiculous. However if I actually go and view and experience the work my opinion usually changes and it brings out some emotion or thoughts. Even just viewing it and saying 'wow' sometimes. I remember Christo's 'fence' that ran over most of Sonoma County for 20 or more miles and that's what I thought when I saw that.
avanutria
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: A long time chatty Chiffer but have been absent for almost two decades. Returned in 2022 and still recognize some names! I also play anglo concertina now.

Post by avanutria »

I couldn't view the washington post article without registering, but these gates did make it into a small Metro article here last week. They kept it to the facts: "American", "£10,000", and "two weeks". Made us sound a bit more ridiculous than usual, I'm afraid...
FJohnSharp
Tell us something.: I used to be a regular then I took up the bassoon. Bassoons don't have a lot of chiff. Not really, I have always been a drummer, and my C&F years were when I was a little tired of the drums. Now I'm back playing drums. I mist the C&F years, though.

Post by FJohnSharp »

I'm as big a fan of the arts as anyone, but Christo's stuff seems to me to be pretentious, like it's as much about the bigness and the buzz as it is about the art.

But it sure is a pretty sight in February. And if it lifts the hearts of New Yorkers, how can I argue?
"Meon an phobail a thogail trid an chultur"
(The people’s spirit is raised through culture)

Suburban Symphony
cowtime

Post by cowtime »

FJohnSharp wrote:I'm as big a fan of the arts as anyone, but Christo's stuff seems to me to be pretentious, like it's as much about the bigness and the buzz as it is about the art.

But it sure is a pretty sight in February. And if it lifts the hearts of New Yorkers, how can I argue?
Plus, when you consider that they we able to pay the many millions of dollars that the gates cost out of their own pocket by selling his art work - you've gotta admire that marketing strategy. I heard today on TV that his working drawings of the gates are selling for as much as $250,000 a piece!
"Let low-country intruder approach a cove
And eyes as gray as icicle fangs measure stranger
For size, honesty, and intent."
John Foster West
Jack

Post by Jack »

I don't know.
Martin Milner

Post by Martin Milner »

It seems very intrusive to regular users of the park.

Still, as long as we have daft artists and people stupid enough to fund them, we'll have stuff like this.
TomB

Post by TomB »

Martin Milner wrote:It seems very intrusive to regular users of the park.

Still, as long as we have daft artists and people stupid enough to fund them, we'll have stuff like this.

I don't think so. From what I've seen on TV, and read about, it seems that most regular park users are enjoying strolling beneath them.

I like them, personally. They don't try to make any sort of statement about anything, the $$ is all from the artist himself, they are only their for a couple of weeks and they didn't destroy anything by putting them up.

All the Best, Tom
"Consult the Book of Armaments"
jsluder

Post by jsluder »

Not having seen the Gates in person, I'm not going to vote in the survey. I did, however, come across an interesting satellite photo of the exhibit. Check out http://earthobservatory.nasa.gov/Newsro ... g_id=16823.

Cheers,
John
Giles: "We few, we happy few."
Spike: "We band of buggered."
dubhlinn

Post by dubhlinn »

TomB wrote:
Martin Milner wrote:It seems very intrusive to regular users of the park.

I don't think so. From what I've seen on TV, and read about, it seems that most regular park users are enjoying strolling beneath them.

I like them, personally. They don't try to make any sort of statement about anything, the $$ is all from the artist himself, they are only their for a couple of weeks and they didn't destroy anything by putting them up.

All the Best, Tom
I'm with Tom on this one,and as he pointed out,the Artist financed the work himself so the taxpayers have no cause to complain.
I would love to be strolling through these gates listening to the drapes fluttering in the breeze and soaking in all the shades of sunlight reflected off the drapes. Lovely.

Art for Arts sake.

Slan,
D.
And many a poor man that has roved,
Loved and thought himself beloved,
From a glad kindness cannot take his eyes.

W.B.Yeats
Walden
Chiffmaster General

Post by Walden »

I don't want to have to go all the way to New York to see it. Is there anything like it, closer, I could examine and comment on?
Reasonable person
Walden
avanutria
Tell us something.: A long time chatty Chiffer but have been absent for almost two decades. Returned in 2022 and still recognize some names! I also play anglo concertina now.

Post by avanutria »

Jerry Freeman

Post by Jerry Freeman »

I like Christo's stuff.

Hard to say exactly how he knows what he's doing, but his works create contrast against ordinary scenes in such a way that the scenes become novel. They get people to look at buildings, trees, rolling hills, etc., as unexpected new objects, creating a sense of wonder in the midst of things that had been seen as familiar before.

Best wishes,
Jerry
MarkB

Post by MarkB »

Christo's work has always tickled the pathways of my mind ever since Running Fence in 1976. I flew out to California to spend three days walking part of the fence, shot ten rolls of film in doing so.

http://www.christojeanneclaude.net/rf.html

I like the Gates but not as much as the Running Fence.

MarkB
Everybody has a photographic memory. Some just don't have film.