Any Neil Young Fans?

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
Will O'B
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1
Location: The Other Side Of The Glen (i.e. A Long Way From Tipperary)

Any Neil Young Fans?

Post by Will O'B »

I had to travel downtown yesterday on the train (a 1 hour ride) and I found my Harvest Moon CD in my briefcase. It had been a long while since I listened to Neil -- his harmonica, guitar and vocals put me in heaven. I'd forgotten just how good his stuff could make me feel. In college there was a certain crowd that looked down on Neil and Dylan, but I never lost the faith. Anyone else out there care for Neil Young's music?

Will O'Ban
So long as men can breathe, or eyes can see,
So long lives this, and this gives life to thee.

Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain!
dubhlinn
antispam: No

Post by dubhlinn »

A God among men...mind you Dylan is a God among Gods.. :wink:

Slan,
D.
And many a poor man that has roved,
Loved and thought himself beloved,
From a glad kindness cannot take his eyes.

W.B.Yeats
izzarina

Post by izzarina »

dubhlinn wrote:A God among men...mind you Dylan is a God among Gods.. :wink:

Slan,
D.
glad you made that differentiation, D. :wink: No one can compare to Dylan.
Someday, everything is gonna be diff'rent
When I paint my masterpiece.
Flyingcursor
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: This is the first sentence. This is the second of the recommended sentences intended to thwart spam its. This is a third, bonus sentence!

Post by Flyingcursor »

"I heard Mr. Young sing about her
I heard ole' Neil put her down.
Well I hope Neil Young will remember,
A southern man don't need him 'round anyhow."

(like Neil just fine. Like Skynard better.)
amar
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by amar »

talbert

discuss.
dubhlinn

Post by dubhlinn »

izzarina wrote:
dubhlinn wrote:A God among men...mind you Dylan is a God among Gods.. :wink:

Slan,
D.
glad you made that differentiation, D. :wink: No one can compare to Dylan.
Very true.He is my all time hero.I have a huge collection of bootlegs and stuff as well as all the official releases.

Getting back to Neil Young though,he too as made some of the greatest albums of his era.Apart from his acoustic based stuff like Harvest and Harvest Moon,he knows how to crank up the electrics in a viscerel passionate manner like nobody else can do,even though he is no guitar virtuoso.
His "Like a Hurricane" is probably one of my all time faves,lyrically and musically.It's just perfect.

The other member of the blessed Trinity, in this house anyhow,is Joni Mitchell. I absolutly worship her and her music though there will never be another great Joni album now alas - the fags (ciggies) have destroyed that angelic voice ,mores the pity.

Slan,
D.
And many a poor man that has roved,
Loved and thought himself beloved,
From a glad kindness cannot take his eyes.

W.B.Yeats
Will O'B

Post by Will O'B »

I prefer Neil on the accoustic guitar -- but that's me. Also love that harmonica.

Joni is great, too. "Angelic" is the perfect definition for her voice -- goes well with that long, golden hair. Although it seems like she may have cut the hair at one point?

Dylan's voice can crack me up sometimes, but I still love him. Unlike Joni, Dylan and Neil are not what you would call folks with great pitch, but I think that just adds to who they are. I wonder if there's any correlation between liking the tin whistle and these two guys? They all three have a distinctive sound.

Neil is quite the character, also. He had/has a thing about keeping wild animals as pets. David Crosby tells the story of coming into their hotel room late one night to find that Neil had just purchased a falcoln. He learned this when he turned on the light and the bird started diving at him. Neil also owned a pet buffalo. It was used in the Kevin Costner movie "Dances With Wolves." Neil's pet is the buffalo that charges the native american boy when he is thrown from his horse during the buffalo hunt. I guess the buffalo is crazy for Oreo cookies, and they got the pet to charge by holding up an Oreo out of camera range.

Will O'Ban

TonyHiggins

Post by TonyHiggins »

Neil Young? Seen Dead Man, a Jim Jarmuch film with Johnny Depp? Young does the entire music soundtrack- solo guitar. Great film all around.
Tony
http://tinwhistletunes.com/clipssnip/newspage.htm Officially, the government uses the term “flap,” describing it as “a condition, a situation or a state of being, of a group of persons, characterized by an advanced degree of confusion that has not quite reached panic proportions.”
Dale
The Landlord

Post by Dale »

I just don't think it gets better than "The Needle and the Damage Done."

Dale
susnfx

Post by susnfx »

Neil Young wears the worst cowboy hat I've ever seen--and I've seen some bad ones. It looks like the buffao in Dances With Wolves stomped on it a few times, and maybe had one of the wolves mark its territory on it just for good measure.

But I love Neil's voice.

Susan
Miwokhill

Post by Miwokhill »

Interesting that Dylan would come up in the discussion as well because they both have such great tunes to sing and play acoustic guitar to. The song that comes to mind when I think of Neil Young is 'I Am a Child' from the Buffalo Springfield days.
-mike
Will O'B

Post by Will O'B »

susnfx wrote:Neil Young wears the worst cowboy hat I've ever seen--and I've seen some bad ones. It looks like the buffao in Dances With Wolves stomped on it a few times, and maybe had one of the wolves mark its territory on it just for good measure.

But I love Neil's voice.

Susan
I happen to like his cowboy hat -- hoof prints, wolf stains and all. :P

From what I've heard, some who know Neil well might say that he was wearing that hat at the time the buffalo stomped on it.

Will O'Ban

anniemcu
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10
Location: A little left of center, and 100 miles from St. Louis

Post by anniemcu »

Count me in. Young, Dylan, Mitchell and all...
anniemcu
---
"You are what you do, not what you claim to believe." -Gene A. Statler
---
"Olé to you, none-the-less!" - Elizabeth Gilbert
---
http://www.sassafrassgrove.com
blackhawk

Post by blackhawk »

I love Neil Young. Four Strong Winds, Already One....good stuff.
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which is least known--Montaigne

We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark. The real tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light
--Plato
DarnTootin

Post by DarnTootin »

Dylan? Yeah, he's pretty good. ;)

I also like Joni, tho I admit that I haven't listened to her in a while. I used to really like her old stuff, like Blue. I didn't care for Hejira at first, but after listening to it for a couple of years, I came to love it--beautiful and profound. BTW: I was in Starbucks today, and I see that they are just starting to push a couple of Joni related CDs. One CD features various artists' favorite Joni songs (including Dylan's fave), and the other features Joni's favorite (or most influential) songs, including one by Bob. You know what happened to the last recording star they pushed this hard (Ray Charles).

I really like Neil Young, too (I heard that, in real life, Neil and Lynard Skynard had total respect for each other). Really, he's one of the most enduring musical performers of our time. Has anyone listened to Greendale (which I believe is his latest effort)? I think it's great, but didn't get the recognition it deserves.