Worst/best Celtic cheese

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
Wombat
antispam: No

Post by Wombat »

Peter Laban wrote:Nobody is complaining about Father Ted either :D
Well that is cheesy.

There was a Scottish show which might have been regarded as more insulting to Gaels, I'm trying to think what it was called. Hamish McBeth, I think. But I think that was deliberately over the top. Hard to say by how much though. My own mother used to talk about second sight occasionally in a way that made me suspicious that she might really believe in it. I was too nervous about what she'd say so I never asked.
RonKiley
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by RonKiley »

Thanks for the comments Brianc, Peter and Wombat. I have often wondered how the Irish liked the show. I guess the characters are overdrawn as part of the interest. After all we make some shows that make us look a lot worse. I actually like the show and enjoy some of the things that depict the Irish life that most Americans never think of. I don't think there is enough music though.

While I was in Ireland I visited Cong. It was interesting to see a town still making money on a movie 50 years after it was made. And yes I dropped a few Euro there.

I have never seen Killinaskully. It hasn't played here yet. Maybe I can request it on public television. Are there any shows or movies that give an accurate view of Irish life?

Ron
I've never met a whistle I didn't want.
Cayden

Post by Cayden »

Maybe it is what you are or aren't used to seeing on television, as I said I didn't see particular negative things in BallyK (there was some music though, The Ceili Bandits were on one or two shows). American television likes to soften things a bit, see how they have turned the acidic hilarious comedy of errors that is One Foot in the Grave into a syrupy Bill Cosby outing so seriously unfunny that I can't even remember the name of it.

There's some on KIlnaskully <a href="http://www.patshortt.com/Killinaskully/ ... m">here</a> . Not really my favourite but my son loves it.
mukade

Post by mukade »

Wombat wrote:
Well that is cheesy.
How could anybody complain about Father Ted?

Mukade
Wombat

Post by Wombat »

mukade wrote:
Wombat wrote:
Well that is cheesy.
How could anybody complain about Father Ted?

Mukade
I like cheese. :P
mukade

Post by mukade »

I don't think he classes as celtic cheese, but he is certainly cheesier than a a big dish of squeezy cheesey peas with extra cheese.

Mukade
OnTheMoor

Post by OnTheMoor »

GaryKelly

Post by GaryKelly »

OnTheMoor wrote:http://archives.cbc.ca/400d.asp?pIndex= ... &IDMenu=-2

Just press the play button.
:lol: You win!
Image "It might be a bit better to tune to one of my fiddle's open strings, like A, rather than asking me for an F#." - Martin Milner
aderyn_du
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by aderyn_du »

OnTheMoor wrote:http://archives.cbc.ca/400d.asp?pIndex= ... &IDMenu=-2

Just press the play button.

:boggle: :boggle: :boggle:
Music melts all the separate parts of our bodies together. ~Anais Nin
OnTheMoor

Post by OnTheMoor »

Yes, it was a proud moment for not only North America, but aulde Ireland as well.
Cayden

Post by Cayden »

I was actually looking for a clip of 'Two in the Bush' by Fester and Ailin' for this thread but unfortunately I couldn't find it. :D
dubhlinn

Post by dubhlinn »

Peter Laban wrote:I was actually looking for a clip of 'Two in the Bush' by Fester and Ailin' for this thread but unfortunately I couldn't find it. :D
Thank Christ for that.

Slan,
D.
And many a poor man that has roved,
Loved and thought himself beloved,
From a glad kindness cannot take his eyes.

W.B.Yeats
jsluder

Post by jsluder »

dubhlinn wrote:
Peter Laban wrote:I was actually looking for a clip of 'Two in the Bush' by Fester and Ailin' for this thread but unfortunately I couldn't find it. :D
Thank Christ for that.
Why? Did he have all the copies destroyed? That's so unlike him...
Giles: "We few, we happy few."
Spike: "We band of buggered."
Cayden

Post by Cayden »

I was actually thinking of the Fester and Ailin that Podge an Rodge did, not the actual Foster and Allen, that would be too much even in a cheese thread.

dubhlinn

Post by dubhlinn »

Peter Laban wrote:I was actually thinking of the Fester and Ailin that Podge an Rodge did, not the actual Foster and Allen, that would be too much even in a cheese thread.

I thought you were losing it there for a minute,inflicting the real F+A on an unsuspecting public.
I love Podge and Rodge,one of my sisters send me over their stuff.....if only they were as well known as the other pair of chancers eh?

Slan,
D.
And many a poor man that has roved,
Loved and thought himself beloved,
From a glad kindness cannot take his eyes.

W.B.Yeats