i love my clarke but i need a little louder

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
cramer
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by cramer »

i was thinking of getting the kildare set or possibly a dixon. i love my clarke but i have recently started playing with other people so i need a whistle that is louder but with a nice sweet tone. anyone have any suggestions?
Otter

Post by Otter »

for loudness, of course there is the susato. but personnally, I prefer the silkstone Alloy

I got mine from the whistleshop

Otter
Thomas-Hastay
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by Thomas-Hastay »

I suggest an Abell or a Thin Weasel. Both these whistles have a cylindrical bore for greater loudness but they also have a wooden body that helps to mellow the tone.

Of course there are other whistle brands of this type if you dislike the types I suggested.

Conical bore whistles,like the Clarke,have better octave matching at the cost of loudness. This is compensated for by a larger window but the tone is still muted compared to a Generation or Susato cylindrical bore.
avanutria
Tell us something.: A long time chatty Chiffer but have been absent for almost two decades. Returned in 2022 and still recognize some names! I also play anglo concertina now.

Post by avanutria »

People are suggesting expensive whistles but a Dixon should be fine. I play mine at sessions and it has plenty of volume.
athenasofia

Post by athenasofia »

Well, I'll suggest the Copeland as a lovely alternative to the Clarke. I learned on a Clarke, and I still play it all the time, but when I play with other people, I often play my Copeland brass D. And, although quite an investment, I think its worth every penny...the tone is rich and full, but still cuts through in a session. And its conical bore feels similar to the Clarke, although it is heavier. Just my thoughts...
...marilyn...
Whistlin'Dixie

Post by Whistlin'Dixie »

I, too, love the Clarke that I "share" with my son, but I would second avanutria's recommendation for the Dixon if cost is a concern ~ I really like my tunable, and it is loud and clear.
I sure LOVE the Burkes I have, though..... I probably play them more than anything!
Mary
StevieJ
Tell us something.: Old hand, active in the early 2000s. Less active in recent years but still lurking from time to time.

Post by StevieJ »

This might save you some money - are you quite sure you need to be louder?

Often in sessions you can't hear yourself very well but you'd be very surprised at how well your whistle is projecting across the room.

If the other people are complaining they can't hear you that's another matter, of course, but in general I think loud whistles are a bit of mixed blessing.

Here's a good tip for instant "foldback" - wear a broad-brimmed hat. You'll suddenly hear yourself loud and clear.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: StevieJ on 2002-04-23 14:37 ]</font>
cramer

Post by cramer »

the other players can hear the second octave no problem, but no one can hear me in the first.
Jeferson

Post by Jeferson »

I love the purity of my Clarke and find that my Dixon Bb (only Dixon I own) does have a nice combination of sweetness and volume. I agree that you'd probably find the Dixon D a good bet. The Burke would be a sure thing, but the price is, well, a factor.

Foldback?! :smile: Stevie, you certainly have a way with words...even if you have to invent them.

Jef
StevieJ
Tell us something.: Old hand, active in the early 2000s. Less active in recent years but still lurking from time to time.

Post by StevieJ »

On 2002-04-23 16:01, Jeferson wrote:
Foldback?! :smile: Stevie, you certainly have a way with words...even if you have to invent them.
Foldback is what comes out of your on-stage monitors. This is a handy thing to know so you don't appear uncool when the soundman starts talking about it at your first gig with a sound system. Also a very useful word to drop when you want to come on like a pro muso and impress the impressionable at parties.
Bloomfield

Post by Bloomfield »

On 2002-04-23 14:36, StevieJ wrote:

Here's a good tip for instant "foldback" - wear a broad-brimmed hat. You'll suddenly hear yourself loud and clear.
Ha! And I thought you were hiding your receding hairline in those pictures. Whaddayaknow, you learn something new every day... :grin:
/Bloomfield
Flywhistler

Post by Flywhistler »

If you want a lot more volume, The Kildare model Susato small bore D would be the way to go. If you want something more inbetween, the very small bore (sopranino) version of the Susato D would be a good choice. Not as loud as the small bore, but still significantly louder than the Clarke. Both are inexpensive and readily available, as you probably know already.
Blackbird

Post by Blackbird »

Another suggestion for an inexpensive whistle - try an Oak. It's just a bit louder, but the tone has far less breath than the Clark, so it cuts through without sounding loud. It's the one I choose for playing in a group - of course, I haven't shaken loose the bucks for a Burke or a Sindt yet!
If I was a blackbird, I'd whistle and sing...
Dave Parkhurst

Post by Dave Parkhurst »

Thin Weasel (lotsa body, looks soooo cool) or Copeland. You'll have those accordion and fiddle players cringing in a corner where they belong.
jim_mc
Tell us something.: I'm a New York native who gradually slid west and landed in the Phoenix area. I like riding on the back seat of a tandem bicycle. I like dogs and have three of them. I am a sometime actor and an all the time teacher, husband, and dad.

Post by jim_mc »

The Dixon is a good choice, or for a few dollars more you could get a Parkhurst. They're the most Clarke-like of the bunch. Sindt is a good choice - a much cleaner sound, but very compatible for playing with other instruments.
Say it loud: B flat and be proud!