trade: Hoover whistle for a mouthblown practice UP chanter

A forum about Uilleann (Irish) pipes and the surly people who play them.
eedbjp
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Been on this forum for many years, just getting back into it agin in 2019.. Tried many flutes and whistles, but keep coming back to the fundamentals!

trade: Hoover whistle for a mouthblown practice UP chanter

Post by eedbjp »

I would like to trade my traditional bore tuneable Mack Hoover D whistle for a mouthblown UP chanter. Please feel free to ask me any questions about the whistle.
Patrick D'Arcy
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by Patrick D'Arcy »

How is the motor?
Does it come with spare bags?
How is the suction?
No E
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by No E »

Whatever it is, it's got to be worth more than a "mouth-blown uilleann chanter." I'd hang on to your Hoover.

No E
Patrick D'Arcy
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by Patrick D'Arcy »

There is a place where the "mouth blown uilleann chanters" live. They play delightful tunes together from morning 'til night. The only problem is it sounds shight to everyone except themselves! Poor buggers! :cry:

PD.
brianc

Post by brianc »

Patrick D'Arcy wrote:How is the motor?
How is the suction?
:lol:
tompipes

Post by tompipes »

How is the motor?
How is the suction?
:lol:

No they're the new fancy bagless ones and as useful as a handbrake in a canoe.
Mouth blown Uilleann chanters, whats next. It'd be like trying to play the Harp wearing boxing gloves.....

Tommy
WannabePiper

Post by WannabePiper »

Do a search for "mouth blown chanter" or somesuch and you'll at east get an idea why your post was met with such sarcasm.
Jim McGuire

Post by Jim McGuire »

When you're hooverin' with the 'mouth blown chanter', you won't have to bend down so far to get the dirt and dust and you can reach into corners easier than with the whistle. On cable, a Swedish guy talks about a bagless hoover because the other ones lost suction.
AlanB
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by AlanB »

Last edited by AlanB on Tue Nov 22, 2005 9:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
eedbjp
Tell us something.: Been on this forum for many years, just getting back into it agin in 2019.. Tried many flutes and whistles, but keep coming back to the fundamentals!

Chanter for practice

Post by eedbjp »

correct me if I'm wrong: There exists a chanter for practice, recently marketed, in order to learn the fingering of the UP, that is blown through the mouth. The purpose is to learn the fingering. I guess "mouth-blown" is funny, kind of like "bellow blown saxophone"? Is the sarcasm because it's a piece of junk, doesn't really exist, or no one has heard of it? I have this whistle to trade, and thought ity would be a way to get used to the fingering until I put the money together to buy a practice set.
Joseph E. Smith

Re: Chanter for practice

Post by Joseph E. Smith »

eedbjp wrote:correct me if I'm wrong: There exists a chanter for practice, recently marketed, in order to learn the fingering of the UP, that is blown through the mouth. The purpose is to learn the fingering. I guess "mouth-blown" is funny, kind of like "bellow blown saxophone"? Is the sarcasm because it's a piece of junk, doesn't really exist, or no one has heard of it? I have this whistle to trade, and thought ity would be a way to get used to the fingering until I put the money together to buy a practice set.
It is a piece of junk and not worth your time. You can practice fingering on a whistle (Bb is about the right size) and get more enjoyment and tunes out of it than you ever could with the mouth blown 'hole in your wallet where your money goes' chanter.

Somebody had one at the Florida Tionol, an experienced piper decided to give it a try on a lark, and the results were very laughable, yet sad knowing that there will be many unknowing folks who will buy this trash.
brianc

Re: Chanter for practice

Post by brianc »

eedbjp wrote:correct me if I'm wrong: There exists a chanter for practice, recently marketed, in order to learn the fingering of the UP, that is blown through the mouth. The purpose is to learn the fingering. I guess "mouth-blown" is funny, kind of like "bellow blown saxophone"? Is the sarcasm because it's a piece of junk, doesn't really exist, or no one has heard of it? I have this whistle to trade, and thought ity would be a way to get used to the fingering until I put the money together to buy a practice set.
Remember the old joke about the man who went to a hardware store to buy a new tree-cutting saw? The salesman talked him into buying an expensive chain saw, with the promise that he'd cut down twice as many trees. 3 weeks later the man returned, and he was very upset, claiming that the salesman had hoodwinked him. "I cut down even FEWER trees with this heavy contraption! "

The salesman was puzzled, and inspected the chain saw, checked the oil, the gasoline, even checked the sharpness of the cutting chain.

"Stand back," he tells the man, and then proceeds to start the chain saw, which starts on the very first pull, with a ROAR!

"What in the name of heaven is that noise?!?" the man exclaims...

These mouth-blown uilleann chanters are sort of like that.

Another example: If you wanted to learn how to drive a Formula 1 race car, would you expect to learn much if you started out with a bicycle?
PJ
Tell us something.: ......................................................................................................

Post by PJ »

"mouthblown UP chanter" ... boggles the mind...
brianc

Post by brianc »

I remember seeing another "uilleann practice chanter" being marketed...

..quite literally, it was nothing more than a stick with dots painted on it, supposedly to represent the approximate hole locations.

If memory serves correctly, it was being offered for 25 US$.

:roll:
marcpipes

Post by marcpipes »

Does anyone have one of these they would be willing to part with? I'll pay shipping. I'd like to muck about with one or two just too see if I could rig up a reed that might work with it plugged into a bag and bellows. Yes...I like to torture myself with the impossible. For each one, I'll send you a hand painted water color of wee folk with pipes. P.M. me if interested.
Marc
Um....Mom, Dad?......I'm Gaelic.