Great Site For Session Tunes!

A forum about Uilleann (Irish) pipes and the surly people who play them.
Joseph E. Smith
antispam: No

Post by Joseph E. Smith »

ausdag wrote:
djm wrote:Sorry, Joseph, but I have to disagree. How many times should one repeat one's self in answering the same questions when the answers have been posted many many times already?

djm
If a student comes up to me and asks how to say something (I'm a language teacher) I have two possible responses -

1) I could tell them what they want to know

2) I could say with a sigh - "I've already taught over 300 students how to say that. They go to this school. Don't ask me. Go and ask the other students. I can't be bothered repeating the same information over and over again.

If you were that student, which response would you want form me?
Well put. I think it is far too easy to forget that we all began knowing feck-all about pipes, piping, sites to get tunes etc.. etc... and we become a mite big headed when someone new comes along in the same situation we were in not so long ago.

Rather than being told to run a search (which, if I were told that in person way back when, would solicit an assualt-like response from me.), I would prefer to be directed to where I could find that info, or better yet, be given it without a search....serving two purposes 1). Answering my question.... and 2). Communicating with another piper, which I believe to be the key to learning this instrument, is it not?
djm
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by djm »

I don't recall any teacher who gave a straight answer. I was always told which book(s) had the answer and to go and look it up. Now, if someone doesn't where the library is, that's a different situation. In that case I would provide them a link: http://chiffboard.mati.ca/search.php?si ... 08b1896aa5

djm
I'd rather be atop the foothills than beneath them.
Joseph E. Smith

Post by Joseph E. Smith »

djm wrote:I don't recall any teacher who gave a straight answer. I was always told which book(s) had the answer and to go and look it up.
That sucks. Those folks are intellectual and social zygotes. Why would you want to perpetuate their poor example?
ausdag

Post by ausdag »

djm wrote:I don't recall any teacher who gave a straight answer. djm
You never had me for a teacher :)
David (ausdag) Goldsworthy
http://ozuilleann.weebly.com/
phcook

Post by phcook »

Perhaps some very basic points should be gather in a FAQ chapter somewhere in this site?
useful websites (uilleanObsession, TheSession, Tunefinder, etc.)
ABC notation
tutorials
etc.
Breizh soner
Douglas

Post by Douglas »

That is a good suggestion. It would be useful too if you could lump all those pipemaker questions together.
Jim McGuire

Post by Jim McGuire »

phcook wrote:somewhere in this site?
It's there at the top of the entry page.
John Dally

Post by John Dally »

The FAQ suggestions are good, but sites, pipemakers, etc., change. The trillian site, for example, wasn't working for a long time.
Dave seems to have suffered unnecessarily from the inadequacies of the Canadian educational system. :cry: Libraries are wonderful, but I've never found a traditional musician sitting on the shelf in one.
I've noticed there are actually more than enough folks who are ready and willing to correct the egregious errors and set the newbies straight.
Patrick D'Arcy
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by Patrick D'Arcy »

My site has been live for nearly ten years.

PD.
The Dude

Post by The Dude »

Are you about to celebrate your Jubilee, Pat? Not silver (25 years) or gold (50 years). Maybe brass? That's apropo for uilleann pipes.
The Session is a good site but they need to provide for alternate versions of tunes, including sheetmusic. As it is now, they say to post ABC stuff in the comments, but I haven't bothered to learn the stuff, so you look up Rakish Paddy and all you get is somewhat the "standard" version, plus it says it's in the mode of A Dorian, which is off the mark.
I'm the dude!

"The world is divided into three types of people. Those who can count, and those who cannot."
-Gene Wolfe