OT...Teaching children in schools music traditions

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
hillfolk22
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by hillfolk22 »

I performed at a school assembly with a group of students and the local dulcimer club today.

The school's music teacher used some of her grant money to purchase 50 card board mountain dulcimers to teach the children the traditions of folk music. About a half a dozen of the children liked playing so much that they have been staying after school once a week to practice in their school dulcimer club. I noticed two of the children at the assembly had their own mountain dulcimers (perhaps received as a birthday present or Christmas).

I guess the point of this thread is.
I was wondering how the schools in your area promote the cultural traditions of folk music.

Is it possible to have a whole group of children doing a recital on pennywhistles and or pipes.

Laura
lollycross

Post by lollycross »

I believe here in Reno, all kids get a year of Recorder, plus a year of Violin too.
Lets hope lots of them continue on with it.
chas
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by chas »

Some of the schools around here (I guess, really, north of here) do the cardboard dulcimer thing -- making it, then playing it. Being a dulcimer player and maker, I think it's a great idea.

Charlie
mike.r

Post by mike.r »

Playing a cardboard anything unless it,s a box (Ausie Ted Egan plays an empty beer carton!)is hard to imagine especially when it involves strings.:smile: peace, Mike
boyd
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Sets in D and B by Rogge and flute by Olwell, whistles by Burke and Goldie. I have been a member for a very long time here. Thanks for reading.

Post by boyd »

In Scotland the we'ins/bairns are taught penny whistle or recorder..
some older kids get fiddle or bagpipe lessons..
but much is down to the music teacher and his/her personal interest.
This end of Strathspey, there is no shinty [a Scottish equivalent of Hurley] but the children are a bit more into trad music.
At the far end of the valley, shinty is a major interest, I think there's some Gaelic taught, and the school music centres around classical stuff.
Of course, things change from year to year as interests grow or dwindle.

Boyd
http://www.strathspeyinmay.com
Isilwen

Post by Isilwen »

In my area, in about 3rd-4th grade, you learn recorders in addition to the 'singing' in music class. Then when you hit 6th grade, you have your choice of either taking Concert Band, Choir, or Study Hall.

When you get into High School, the music classes are Concert Band, Choir, and Jazz Band.

That really isn't "traditional" like what you're meaning I suppose, but next month my teacher is having me play my whistle with the Choir because they're doing a song called 'A H'undred Pipers.'
DanD

Post by DanD »

On 2002-04-23 02:56, mike.r wrote:
Playing a cardboard anything unless it,s a box (Ausie Ted Egan plays an empty beer carton!)is hard to imagine especially when it involves strings.:smile: peace, Mike
Cardboard dulcimers are surprisingly decent sounding! They're very suitable for introducing kids to music, and a number of festivals keep a few on hand for folks to try before they drop $100 or more for a wood instrument. In fact, I've played a cardboard dulcimer that was better sounding, and easier to play than a cheap wooden (plywood) dulcimer.
jbgibson

Post by jbgibson »

For those who haven't seen one, a cardboard dulcimer actually has a nice, strong, precicely fretted *wood* fretboard. The body is all that's cardboard, and it's sturdy enough that they hold up pretty well. I also can picture just how long an all-cardboard dulcimer would hold up against string tension :smile: .

-- Jake
The Weekenders

Post by The Weekenders »

i think teaching whistle makes a lot more sense than recorders in terms of fingering. People in America just don't know about 'em.

I know that because when I play at the beach, people ask me what the instrument is. Which surprises me.

My son, 8 at the time, taught himself "TwinkleTLS" and the scale last year on one of those little black whistles that I gave him. I think I should have given him a G or an F for his little fingers but I didn;t want to part with my decent Gens of those keys.

Dulcimers tickle sense of diversity within country especially in the Appalachians. The drawback is tuning and string breakage compared to a lil whistle. But its probably easier on the ears!!
DanD

Post by DanD »

Dulcimers tickle sense of diversity within country especially in the Appalachians. The drawback is tuning and string breakage compared to a lil whistle. But its probably easier on the ears!!
Much easier on the ears! And, if you tune to a D-A-D Mixolydian tuning, the frets correspond directly to a D whistle! That makes transferring tunes from dulcimer to whistle (or vice versa) a breeze! :smile: