eBay Pictures - is this the best you can do?

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
Paul Reid
antispam: No

eBay Pictures - is this the best you can do?

Post by Paul Reid »

Okay, first off I'm a photographer and graphic designer by trade. I like to make things look nice, it's my nutured nature, naturally. Someone recently pposted this up on the UP forum and after looking at it for less than a minute it was amazing how much you can learn from the settings in which some people take these pictures for eBay.

I'm forever in giggle fits because of these ridiculous pictures.

Maybe I can give a few helpful hints to you "would-be" eBayers.

1. If you want to use your bed as a background for your instrument, please make your bed before taking the photograph.

2. If someone is modelling the item for you, have them comb their hair and brush their teeth.

3. An instant cringing feeling is produced when you shoot your expensive uilleann pipes (or flute) on something scratchy and dirty.

4. Pay attention to the items in the background of your shot - put away your personal items -- could be embarrasing!

5. If your camera sucks, borrow one that doesn't.

6. When possible, use natural daylight -- tungsten bulbs get really yellow (is that brass or siver??)

7. Use a tripod. Blurry objects get less money!

I love this one ;-)

Show us your favourite ugly ebay shot!!!!
PR

c[]|________||___o__o__O___o__O__º__º__||_]
      \\
susnfx
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by susnfx »

This didn't happen on eBay, but I loved a photo I saw this morning on MSN of a dog in the Westminster Dog Show. What the photographer apparently hadn't noticed was another woman in the background shaving her poodle's ... um ... rear end. I'd put it in here, but I don't know how. Here's the link:

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/6964319/

Susan
Paul Reid

Post by Paul Reid »

Here it is:
PR

\\
ChrisA

Post by ChrisA »

The really silly thing with that shot, (aside from the hairdressing job on the poor creature in the foreground, which is pretty darn silly) is that with a moment's cropping to focus down on the foreground dog, one could have eliminated dog-butt and anonymous-breasts and strengthened the composition of the photo, for essentially no time or effort...
amar
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by amar »

yes, the breasts are a bit distracting.
jsluder

Post by jsluder »

ChrisA wrote:The really silly thing with that shot, (aside from the hairdressing job on the poor creature in the foreground, which is pretty darn silly) is that with a moment's cropping to focus down on the foreground dog, one could have eliminated dog-butt and anonymous-breasts and strengthened the composition of the photo, for essentially no time or effort...
Maybe the background is part of what they intentionally wanted to show... The movie Best In Show did a good job of illustrating just how bizarre the world of dog shows can be. Similarly, this photo is an excellent illustration of dog show behavior. I mean, aside from veterinarians with a medical reason, who else would actually shave a dog's butt?
Giles: "We few, we happy few."
Spike: "We band of buggered."
missy

Post by missy »

sorry to hijack your thread........

I have a "theory" about dog shows. Know why the toy poodles always win? Cuz the other dogs are having such hysterical fits over how the darn things look that they can't do whatever it is they are required to do in the ring.
Just what IS that poor creature in that picture???? I love dogs, have two boxers (which have absolutely NO brains, but that's another story). But that dog is just WRONG.

Oh, to stay on topic, I don't have a link to it, but remember the infamous "tea kettle" man picture where the guys reflection showed he was taking the picture in the nude? EWWHHHH!!!!

Missy
Missy

"When facts are few, experts are many"

http://www.strothers.com
Paul Reid

Post by Paul Reid »

Pphftfhtfht.. whatever - this IS a pub right?
PR

\\
izzarina

Post by izzarina »

amar wrote:yes, the breasts are a bit distracting.
I'm sure they are :roll:
Someday, everything is gonna be diff'rent
When I paint my masterpiece.
Lambchop

Post by Lambchop »

ChrisA wrote: (aside from the hairdressing job on the poor creature in the foreground, which is pretty darn silly) ..
That dog comes by that haircut naturally. It's a Chinese something or other, as I recall.

One of them lives in my building. The first time I saw it I thought it had some sort of ghastly mange--miraculously sparing the head. "Oh, poor little guy! What an unusual distribution of the hair loss!"

Well, it wasn't a guy and it wasn't mange. The owners were horribly offended.

It suffers from the cold. Even here in Florida. The alligator doesn't recognize it as food, as it is attired in pink flannel footie pajamas. With a drop seat.
TooTs

Post by TooTs »

Thanks Peggy, i'm nearly wetting myself over that image.

:lol:
Martin Milner

Post by Martin Milner »

Peggy wrote:
ChrisA wrote: (aside from the hairdressing job on the poor creature in the foreground, which is pretty darn silly) ..
That dog comes by that haircut naturally. It's a Chinese something or other, as I recall.

One of them lives in my building. The first time I saw it I thought it had some sort of ghastly mange--miraculously sparing the head. "Oh, poor little guy! What an unusual distribution of the hair loss!"

Well, it wasn't a guy and it wasn't mange. The owners were horribly offended.

It suffers from the cold. Even here in Florida. The alligator doesn't recognize it as food, as it is attired in pink flannel footie pajamas. With a drop seat.
A dog may be a man's best friend, but clearly Man is not a dog's best friend.

I feel sorry for dogs that have to suffer that sort of life because of centuries of our selective breeding programmes.
It don't mean a thing if it ain't got that schwing
Redwolf
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by Redwolf »

ChrisA wrote:The really silly thing with that shot, (aside from the hairdressing job on the poor creature in the foreground, which is pretty darn silly) is that with a moment's cropping to focus down on the foreground dog, one could have eliminated dog-butt and anonymous-breasts and strengthened the composition of the photo, for essentially no time or effort...
The dog in the foreground is a Chinese Crested, and that's how their coat grows naturally. They're totally hairless except for feathering on the ankles and tail tip and on the top of the head.

Redwolf
...agus déanfaidh mé do mholadh ar an gcruit a Dhia, a Dhia liom!
mukade

Re: eBay Pictures - is this the best you can do?

Post by mukade »

Paul Reid wrote: I love this one ;-)

Show us your favourite ugly ebay shot!!!!
The guy who sent me that pic said it is on Japanese Yahoo Auctions. Ebay folded over here.

People use 'ordinary' pictures on that site because it's easier to distinguish between shops and private sales.

Mukade
Jack

Post by Jack »

I want that little dog! It's so cuuuuuuute.