Be careful with Clips & Snips and SPAM

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
Azalin
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Be careful with Clips & Snips and SPAM

Post by Azalin »

Just to let you know, those of you who post emails on Clips & Snips, the website is being parsed/harvested by spam bots and emails are being used for spam. I found out because there's an email address I'm only using for Clips, and I've been spammed a few times on it.

There's a relatively easy way to display emails on a website without making it available for email bots (with javascript), I will send Tony the details.
BrassBlower

Post by BrassBlower »

Or, worse yet, they take your e-mail address and use it as a "spoof" return-address to send out virus-infected attachments. I have had a couple of e-mails from anti-virus services saying an attachment I sent was infected, and I never sent the attachment! :boggle:
https://www.facebook.com/4StringFantasy

I do not feel obliged to believe that that same God who has endowed us with sense, reason, and intellect has intended us to forgo their use.

-Galileo
TonyHiggins
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by TonyHiggins »

I appreciate Azalin's help on this. I'll either get a fix in place or delete the email contacts, leaving the names up. Maybe, we should make sure we can be contacted through pm's on this board if we want to be contacted. Anyway, something will change. :)

Let me ask the people who post to Clips. Is it worth having your email addresses included? Anybody got a recording contract out of it? (We can discuss my commission later...)
Tony
http://tinwhistletunes.com/clipssnip/newspage.htm Officially, the government uses the term “flap,” describing it as “a condition, a situation or a state of being, of a group of persons, characterized by an advanced degree of confusion that has not quite reached panic proportions.”
Azalin

Post by Azalin »

Hmmm, I sent Tony the "fix" instructions, but also maybe instead of an email we could put a link to the whistle player's profile on Chiff instead, like Tony's:

http://chiffboard.mati.ca/profile.php?m ... ofile&u=72

But having protected emails displayed is really not a problem for new emails, it just might take a long time to replace the old ones with the new system.
TonyHiggins

Post by TonyHiggins »

I like Azalin's suggestion. I've always been a bit queasy about lining up so many email addresses. I just figured I'm pasted all over those pages at least as much as anyone else and I don't get much spam. I'm seriously thinking about removing all the email links. (I just feel sort of responsible for this, even though I didn't force anyone to have their email address up there... :) Plus, I loathe spammers and spyware creators, etc, so I hate to give them anything.

If there's no comment on this, I'll procede.
Tony
http://tinwhistletunes.com/clipssnip/newspage.htm Officially, the government uses the term “flap,” describing it as “a condition, a situation or a state of being, of a group of persons, characterized by an advanced degree of confusion that has not quite reached panic proportions.”
Bloomfield

Post by Bloomfield »

I think emails or links to the profile should be on Clips & Snips. My vote counts, since I posted two tunes, right? :)
/Bloomfield
Will O'B
Location: The Other Side Of The Glen (i.e. A Long Way From Tipperary)

Post by Will O'B »

My 2 votes (one for each clip I've posted) wonder how the expert who sent me a brief note saying simply that my playing "sucks" would be able to offer me his less than detailed critique in the future if there was no link handy. Yes, his comment has spurred me on to post even worse playing in the future just so I can continue to annoy him. I say keep a link handy so that our correspondence may continue uninterrupted. :twisted:

Will O'Ban
So long as men can breathe, or eyes can see,
So long lives this, and this gives life to thee.

Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain!
DCrom

Post by DCrom »

Having the links for feedback helps - and if you switch to the protected form, it's no worse than using the email link here on the board.

But yes, I can see the trouble with naked links. I'm not *too* worried about mine, but it can be an issue.
glauber

Post by glauber »

I have too many tunes there. But i always asked Tony to put "PM through C&F" instead of putting my email address. Much safer this way.

If you must leave an email address there in the cold, cruel world, check out SpamGourmet.
On the Internet, nobody knows you're a dog!
--Wellsprings--
dirk

Post by dirk »

It's too bad this happens. I just deleted a spam that actually stated inside
the message that it got my email address from the "Seth Gallagher Workshop" contact list. :-(

-Dirk
(I'm a piper, your a piper, he's a piper, she's a piper...)
notus

Re: Be careful with Clips & Snips and SPAM

Post by notus »

[quote="Azalin"]Just to let you know, those of you who post emails on Clips & Snips, the website is being parsed/harvested by spam bots and emails are being used for spam. I found out because there's an email address I'm only using for Clips, and I've been spammed a few times on it. quote]

Is there any other proof that there has been a terrorist attack? :oops:
Call Homeland security!

I got a SPAM or two long before my email address was plastered all over the Internet.

I vote for giving contributors a choice. Or maybe just try the fix?
Notus
The South Wind Whistle Manufactory
Home of the South Wind pennywhistle
www.southwindwhistle.com

Working to create and sustain positive energy throughout the universe via the Butterfly Effect.

One whistle, one whistler, one tune at a time...