Worst/best Celtic cheese

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
buskerSean
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I am a walrus, I am a tea pot. John Lennon said that but people see him as a guru. Well,tell,you what he also almost became a piper asking Paddy Keenan to teach him. (bleep) got bored & went on the sitar and the rest is history.

Worst/best Celtic cheese

Post by buskerSean »

What is the most unbeliveably cheesey and corny use of ITM and/or 'Celtic' culture seen or heard? For me is has to be the whole 'Braveheart' film. From the fact it is pure sentimental fiction compared to the real Willie Wallace to the two GHB's playing with two fiddles and two bodhran players (!) to Mel Gibson wearing pants under his Kilt (the bigg jessie). Oh, and the Coors.
jsluder

Post by jsluder »

Darby O'Gill and the Little People, starring Sean Connery.
Giles: "We few, we happy few."
Spike: "We band of buggered."
ChrisA
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by ChrisA »

You have got to be kidding... Braveheart is an enjoyable film, if not particularly historically
accurate, and The Coors are, well, a pop band.

The Skittles television commercials, however, are a cheesy exploitation of the whole celtic
mysteries thing. Or were, when they were doing celtic-themed ones. I think they are tasting the
rainbow in art school now, or something.

There was also a car commercial about, uhm, a year, year and half back, maybe a Lexus, set to
Connaughtman's Rambles. I have to admit, though, that the tune caught my ear and I had to
listen closely until I found the match and could put a title to it. Still haven't learned that one,
though.
Wormdiet

Post by Wormdiet »

The"Stonehenge" thing from Spinal Tap?

:party:
OOOXXO
Doing it backwards since 2005.
Feadan

Post by Feadan »

Celtic cheese? Phil Coulter, the master of Irish elevator music. And what do you mean “Best”? Isn’t that like asking “What is the best/worst oozing skin rash”? :wink:

Cheers,
David
Feadan

Post by Feadan »

ChrisA wrote:You have got to be kidding... Braveheart is an enjoyable film, if not particularly historically accurate
I had a hard time seeing Highland Pipes being played and the sound of Uilleann Pipes coming out (campfire scene). Uilleann pipes were used a lot for background music which made little sense to me as the movie was about Scotland. Let's add musically inaccurate as well.

Cheers,
David
IRTradRU?

Post by IRTradRU? »

ChrisA wrote:You have got to be kidding... Braveheart is an enjoyable film, if not particularly historically accurate, and The Coors are, well, a pop band.

Hmmm. The only Coors that I know about is the beer.

The Corrs, on the other hand, are an incredibly talented and very popular band in both Ireland and North America. They have found a way to mix pop with some touches of trad in their performances and CDs.

"Braveheart" seems to have convinced quite a few people that the Highland Pipes sound just like uilleann pipes.
Last edited by IRTradRU? on Mon Feb 14, 2005 2:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
IRTradRU?
TomB

Re: Worst/best Celtic cheese

Post by TomB »

[quote="buskerSean"]What is the most unbeliveably cheesey and corny use of ITM and/or 'Celtic' culture seen or heard? /quote]

No question about it-

Michael Flatley!!!!

All the Best, Tom
"Consult the Book of Armaments"
dubhlinn

Post by dubhlinn »

Feadan wrote:
ChrisA wrote:You have got to be kidding... Braveheart is an enjoyable film, if not particularly historically accurate
I had a hard time seeing Highland Pipes being played and the sound of Uilleann Pipes coming out (campfire scene). Uilleann pipes were used a lot for background music which made little sense to me as the movie was about Scotland. Let's add musically inaccurate as well.

Cheers,
David
It was also filmed in Ireland.

Phil Coulter wrote two of the finest songs ever to come out of Ireland,"The town that I love so well" and "Scorn not his simplicity".
He also produced and played on many of the Dubliners albums and brought to them a much greater depth than they had previously so I can overlook his elevator phase,after all the guy has got to eat.

As regards the cheesiest use of ITM known to man...In the film "My left foot" which was based upon the autobiographical novel "Down all the Days" ,there is a scene set in a bar where the subject of the film,Christy Brown, is introduced to all and sundry. Before this he had been shut away to hide his chronic disability but having used his left foot to scratch out the letter C on a dusty floor his father discovered a previously dormant paternal pride in his son,and carried him down to the Bar to be one of the lads so to speak. A brawl breaks out and then a very happy,lively diddley dee set of tunes is played over the chaos. Party Time in Ireland be Jaysus.

I very nearly puked.

Slan,
D.
And many a poor man that has roved,
Loved and thought himself beloved,
From a glad kindness cannot take his eyes.

W.B.Yeats
I.D.10-t

Post by I.D.10-t »

I've never seen river dance, so I will say the ...

WARNING You may get a tune stuck in your head!

Irish Spring soap commercials.

Probably one of the first exposures I had to Irish heritage other than lucky charms and the basketball team.
"Be not deceived by the sweet words of proverbial philosophy. Sugar of lead is a poison."
chas
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by chas »

I think for me it had to be the Chieftains playing with Roger Daltrey as their "special guest". He sang, of course, a bunch of Who songs. The only thing I remember was "Behind Blue Eyes," in the middle of which Paddy and company played a jig or reel or something. Other than that it was Roger Daltrey singing a song with the occasional wail of a Upipe in the background. This was some kind of reverse synergy.
Charlie
Whorfin Woods
"Our work puts heavy metal where it belongs -- as a music genre and not a pollutant in drinking water." -- Prof Ali Miserez.
ChrisA

Post by ChrisA »

Feadan wrote: I had a hard time seeing Highland Pipes being played and the sound of Uilleann Pipes coming out (campfire scene). Uilleann pipes were used a lot for background music which made little sense to me as the movie was about Scotland. Let's add musically inaccurate as well.

Cheers,
David
Oh, well, that's easy to explain. The Uillean pipes sound good, and the GHBs don't. ;)

Actually, when I saw braveheart I wasn't particularly familiar with the difference in pipe
sounds and didn't notice. I imagine that if I watched it again to-day, I'd be similarly
perplexed.

--Chris
avanutria
Tell us something.: A long time chatty Chiffer but have been absent for almost two decades. Returned in 2022 and still recognize some names! I also play anglo concertina now.

Post by avanutria »

I always mix up the Irish Spring jingle with the Poland Spring (mineral water) jingle.

I remember seeing a TV movie called "Luck of the Irish" about a boy who 'lost his luck' and started losing all his basketball games to a rather mean looking fellow who turned out to be a leprechaun. Turns out the boy is part leprechaun too, but his mother turned her back on her heritage to marry his dad, who is from Pennsylvania. The mother's father has been estranged from the family until this emergency brings Irishness back to the reputable part of the family.

There is a quite funny bit though. Everything is looking horrible for the family, they're never going to get their luck back, the grandfather has lost his company, and everyone is looking morose and trying to figure out what to do next. The grandfather pulls out a tin whistle and starts playing a lively jig. When questioned on the appropriateness, he responds:

"I am an Irishman. This is how we show despair."

:lol:
BrassBlower

Post by BrassBlower »

Best Celtic cheese: Mu(e)nster. Goes great on turkey sandwiches.

Worst Celtic cheese: "Spy of the County Down", done by Yours Truly on Clips 'n' Snips. What on earth was I thinking?! :boggle:
https://www.facebook.com/4StringFantasy

I do not feel obliged to believe that that same God who has endowed us with sense, reason, and intellect has intended us to forgo their use.

-Galileo
Lambchop

Re: Worst/best Celtic cheese

Post by Lambchop »

buskerSean wrote:What is the most unbeliveably cheesey and corny use of ITM and/or 'Celtic' culture seen or heard?.

Irish Spring . . . remarkable for its unabashed portrayal of Irish men as studly farm hands who, err, sweat more than usual. And the sweaty women who love them, albeit while demonstrating poor taste in fragrances . . . "'Tis manly . . . but I like it, too!"