O'Riordan Huge Irish Whistle Set on EBay

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
Brian Lee
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by Brian Lee »

What's that great line the the Sheryl Crow song? Something like:

"It's not having what you want
It's wanting what you've got"

I love my O'Riordans, and would be hard pressed to part with them at this point. They are truly unique whistles, and I have yet to hear anything that sounds close to them. From my understanding however, there are makers out there coming close. (David Boisivart?) ((sp?))

At any rate, someone will most likely enjoy these when they go...
IDAwHOa
Tell us something.: I play whistles. I sell whistles. This seems just a BIT excessive to the cause. A sentence or two is WAY less than 100 characters.

Post by IDAwHOa »

I won't tell you whom my wife gave permission to do some bidding. It's a secret, shhhhhhhhh!
Steven - IDAwHOa - Wood Rocks

"If you keep asking questions.... You keep getting answers." - Miss Frizzle - The Magic School Bus
glauber
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by glauber »

Some WhOA-crazed guy who's just sold a house? :D
On the Internet, nobody knows you're a dog!
--Wellsprings--
IDAwHOa
Tell us something.: I play whistles. I sell whistles. This seems just a BIT excessive to the cause. A sentence or two is WAY less than 100 characters.

Post by IDAwHOa »

glauber wrote:Some WhOA-crazed guy who's just sold a house? :D
Nope not a WHOA-crazed guy. He has been REALLY good lately and is only on TWO waiting lists. But I think he did just sell a house. :P She did put a cap on the bidding though. :roll: Probably a good thing.
Steven - IDAwHOa - Wood Rocks

"If you keep asking questions.... You keep getting answers." - Miss Frizzle - The Magic School Bus
PhilO

Post by PhilO »

glauber wrote:
Brian Lee wrote:The fact that pat is no longer taking any orders will very likely have an impact on the final bid price.
Yeah, sure, the fact he's not taking orders and that he won't be around forever, is sad and it probably means that barring something unpredictable, i'll never have one of those whistles. So what? There's a lot of things i'll never have. My life shouldn't be evaluated by the things i have anyway.

I'm watching that auction on eBay, though. I wouldn't buy them, but hopefully someone will, and set a new record for whistle prices. Maybe one day whistles will fetch as much as that famous grilled cheese sandwich, on eBay!
:)
Was that with tomato? Cause if it was, geez; I can't believe I missed it. No tomato and I don't care. But grilled cheese WITH TOMATO - how could I have missed that... :lol:

Philo
"This is this; this ain't something else. This is this." - Robert DeNiro, "The Deer Hunter," 1978.
Brian Lee

Post by Brian Lee »

3 days left and up to $1,525 so far.

wow.
Wombat

Post by Wombat »

Well the reserve still hasn't been met. I can see the point of creeping up on it but there's quite a way to go yet IMO.
glauber

Post by glauber »

PhilO wrote:Was that with tomato? Cause if it was, geez; I can't believe I missed it. No tomato and I don't care. But grilled cheese WITH TOMATO - how could I have missed that...
No tomato, but it looked like the Virgin Mary. It sold for $28K.
On the Internet, nobody knows you're a dog!
--Wellsprings--
rh

Post by rh »

this just posted on Banjo-L, i got a good laugh out of it:
http://www.geoffellis.com/ebay.html
dubhlinn

Post by dubhlinn »

rh wrote:this just posted on Banjo-L, i got a good laugh out of it:
http://www.geoffellis.com/ebay.html
Brilliant!!!! :lol: :lol:

Do them all a favour and post this up on the Pub Forum.

Slan,
D. :lol: :lol:
And many a poor man that has roved,
Loved and thought himself beloved,
From a glad kindness cannot take his eyes.

W.B.Yeats
alespa
Tell us something.: Music has been a part of my life for as long as I can remember. Part of what I love about celtic/folk style music is the sound of a handful of handmade instruments that remind me of simpler times.

Post by alespa »

hmmm. over 2 days left, and over $2k bid, but no reserve yet ;) I really think this should have been sold in separate batches to allow more people to bid on what they can realistically "afford" and need. Who's going to need all those whistles at once, and want to pay $$$ . . . I guess we'll see . . . if I were a bettin' man, I'd say they will NOT meet the reserve. That's if I were a bettin' man, that is :D
There's no such thing as a stranger, just friends we have not yet met.
Wombat

Post by Wombat »

alespa wrote:hmmm. over 2 days left, and over $2k bid, but no reserve yet ;) I really think this should have been sold in separate batches to allow more people to bid on what they can realistically "afford" and need. Who's going to need all those whistles at once, and want to pay $$$ . . . I guess we'll see . . . if I were a bettin' man, I'd say they will NOT meet the reserve. That's if I were a bettin' man, that is :D
You don't have to be able to afford them all. You only have to be able to borrow what you need to get them for as long as it takes to sell on those you don't want. Well, that and gamble on not taking a loss on the overall deal. But, if you're right about the batch idea, the risk would be very small.

Seriously, I don't think $2k is even getting close.
Last edited by Wombat on Wed Feb 16, 2005 9:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
alespa
Tell us something.: Music has been a part of my life for as long as I can remember. Part of what I love about celtic/folk style music is the sound of a handful of handmade instruments that remind me of simpler times.

Post by alespa »

Howabout you buy them, and I'll sell them individually? Of course, I'll make sure nothing happens to them while we wait for buyers ;)
alespa

Post by alespa »

. . . but seriously, did anyone notice that the voicing window on one of the whistles looks like there is cup-shaped dent in it? Since it's on the side of the window, I assume it doesn't effect anything?
Wombat

Post by Wombat »

alespa wrote:Howabout you buy them, and I'll sell them individually? Of course, I'll make sure nothing happens to them while we wait for buyers ;)
:lol: Now here's MBA material if ever I saw it. :wink: