The outrageous cost of pipes

A forum about Uilleann (Irish) pipes and the surly people who play them.
Antaine

Post by Antaine »

Joseph E. Smith wrote:
ausdag wrote:
Royce wrote:
I already have a Bb chanter, actually a bit longer than a Bb chanter, hanging from below my belt buckle...oh. Never mind. You meant something else.

Royce
Be a bit thin wouldn't it?/ :wink:
I'm not going to touch this......er...perhaps I could've selected another way of putting this.... :oops:
"Hey, baby, wanna finger my chanter?"

::SLAP::
{][_||_______||_][___o__o__O___o__O__º__º__]]_]
         \\
           \\
Joseph E. Smith
antispam: No

Post by Joseph E. Smith »

Antaine wrote:
Joseph E. Smith wrote:
ausdag wrote: Be a bit thin wouldn't it?/ :wink:
I'm not going to touch this......er...perhaps I could've selected another way of putting this.... :oops:
"Hey, baby, wanna finger my chanter?"

::SLAP::
.... I feel all... well.... 'dirty' like.....I need a drink........
Jack Macleod
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Re: The outrageous cost of pipes

Post by Jack Macleod »

PJ wrote:I would go so far as to say that unless you are a professional piper, making your living from playing the music, you have no business spending more than $6000 on a full set. Why? Because it's immoral to spend that much money on something that is not essential in making your living.
My gut reaction to this is, who the hell are you to tell me what to spend my money on? And to top it all off, what is immoral!? I grew up very modestly and worked for everything I have. Paid for my college, house, cars, instruments, etc. Yep, my wife and I make a crapload of money now, but worked for it and continue to do so. That has nothing to do with "immorality". I recently paid almost $8k for a mint 1920s Peter Henderson bagpipe (silver & ivory)....I must be going to hell....

If you don't like it, go to school and get a good job. If you don't, you'll always see things as "unfair"...because life is certainly that....
Joseph E. Smith

Re: The outrageous cost of pipes

Post by Joseph E. Smith »

Jack Macleod wrote:...I recently paid almost $8k for a mint 1920s Peter Henderson bagpipe (silver & ivory)....
(...in his best Homer Simpson voice) ....Henderson, mmmmmmmmaaagggggh, yummy...
upiper71

Outrageous cost of pipes

Post by upiper71 »

PJ,

Well..Ultimately it really is up to the judgement of the person buying to pay that much..I wouldn't, or should I say Can't ( unless I win the lottery :roll: )

I guess just keep saving your pennies until your able to afford a better set. Maybe instead of buying my next car, I will upgrade. But like I say since the wifey or wife to be, is against it for now, I'd better not. It'll be cheaper getting a newer car than a divorce! :lol:

Daryl
Davey
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Anyone? Bueller?

Post by Davey »

Anyone willing to answer the question? How much SHOULD they cost? How about the chanter example. Be ready to support your answer with facts and details.
Antaine

Post by Antaine »

"should" implies an ideal world, in which we do not live.

My answer is, for what they are (hand made custom instruments of professional quality) they cost exactly what they "should"

What "should" be part of the equation but isn't is a reliable mass produced "student" full set for $200-$600 by yamaha or jupiter or buffet or maybe trevor james...something like that.

we don't need for the handmade pipes to cost less, we just need a student alternative that is a complete instrument...
         \\
           \\
Jim McGuire

Post by Jim McGuire »

If you have deep pockets, here's a bunch of whistles for you! Starting bid is $1200 with an unpublished reserve!!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... 15411&rd=1
tompipes
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by tompipes »

we just need a student alternative that is a complete instrument...
There already exists a student model.
Its called a practice set.
Tommy
Jim McGuire

Post by Jim McGuire »

tompipes wrote:There already exists a student model.
Tommy
Most start out with a simple chanter - minimal, if any, decorative ferrule work; Cnat key.
Antaine

Post by Antaine »

please see my rant on practice sets on a previous page. other instruments have student models of the FULL instrument...trumpet students aren't expected to start with a bugle, and then add valves once the get the ambrochure and tecnhique down.
         \\
           \\
Antaine

Post by Antaine »

Jim McGuire wrote:
tompipes wrote:There already exists a student model.
Tommy
Most start out with a simple chanter - minimal, if any, decorative ferrule work; Cnat key.
I have no problem with keyless chanters being what people start out on - that's fine, you don't *need* any key...drones for bagpipes, that's another story...and the regs are what set the UP apart...I could even see a 3/4 set, but bellows/bag/chanter? it's an oboe without benefit of keywork or cheap replaceable reeds, and a bag...

I dunno, I started on one for the sole reason that anything else was priced too high...
         \\
           \\
AlanB
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by AlanB »

Last edited by AlanB on Tue Nov 22, 2005 8:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
leremarkable

Post by leremarkable »

What sets the uilleann pipes apart from all other instruments is the ability to stop the chanter. For that you don't need regulators, drones or keys on your chanter.
liestman
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by liestman »

I am sure David meant to say "all other instruments except Northumbrian smallpipes" of course.
yer friend and mine,
John Liestman