Are Boehm keys generally noisier than simple system?

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
headwizer
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Are Boehm keys generally noisier than simple system?

Post by headwizer »

This issue was raised in another thread in passing. I am sure that to an audience, any key noise is pretty much obscured by the time it reaches listeners' ears. However, the player can probably hear all the squeaks and clacks.
lllebret

Post by lllebret »

If the flute is in good repair and the player uses minimal finger pressure (good technique) there is virtually no key noise. Boehm flutes use the springs to open keys instead of holding keys closed (thus having to seal), thus can be sprung with much less force than is required on simple system flutes which must be sprung so that the keys keep an airtight seal.
andrewK

Post by andrewK »

I have never been able to understand why ITM players worry about key noise when they have somebody alongside banging a drum.
At least the key noise, if any, is in time with the music.
Dana

Post by Dana »

Ya know, if you're hearing much key noise, it means that you're slamming the keys down way too hard. Whatever key noise you do get won't carry, anyway.

Dana
peeplj

Post by peeplj »

Dana is spot-on, a lot of key noise is either an indication of an instrument in bad repair, or a ham-fingered flutist banging on the keys.

Every flute is different, some do make some minor sounds, but as pointed out, they do not carry.

A good flute in good repair with a good player (better than me :P ) is virtually silent.

Note: I am one of those guys who tends to come down on the keys too hard, and you can sometimes hear it in my playing. Boehm keys clack; on wooden flute you can hear little percussive thumps as I bounce my fingers around like chubby basketballs. :lol: Oh well...

--James
GaryKelly

Post by GaryKelly »

Joannie Madden doesn't seem to have any problems.
Image "It might be a bit better to tune to one of my fiddle's open strings, like A, rather than asking me for an F#." - Martin Milner
jim stone

Post by jim stone »

Well, they edit out the clacking sounds on her CDs, you know,
just like they try to edit out Glenn Gould's singing
on his.
lllebret

Post by lllebret »

You know this for a fact, Jim? I was at a workshop a couple of feet away from her and didn't hear any key noise.
Denny
antispam: No

Post by Denny »

jim stone wrote:Well, they edit out the clacking sounds on her CDs, you know, just like they try to edit out Glenn Gould's singing on his.
lllebret wrote:You know this for a fact, Jim? I was at a workshop a couple of feet away from her and didn't hear any key noise.
Alright Jim let go of lllebret's leg...
Terry McGee

Post by Terry McGee »

I'd say much louder. Perhaps not loud enough for listeners to hear, although I'd want to test that assertion before believing it, certainly frustrating for the player. It could be that the player is aware of more than the noise - perhaps the seismic event transmitted through fingertips - but I certainly can't play a Boehm flute without being distracted by the perceived clatter. I've heard them disparaged as "typewriters" by players in Ireland.

Terry
peeplj

Post by peeplj »

Terry McGee wrote:I'd say much louder. Perhaps not loud enough for listeners to hear, although I'd want to test that assertion before believing it, certainly frustrating for the player. It could be that the player is aware of more than the noise - perhaps the seismic event transmitted through fingertips - but I certainly can't play a Boehm flute without being distracted by the perceived clatter. I've heard them disparaged as "typewriters" by players in Ireland.

Terry
A well-oiled and well-adjusted flute, with good pads and corks, makes barely any noise at all. I wouldn't call it any kind of loud.

Now a cheap marching-band flute, poorly cared-for, with old dirty pads and either no oil in the mechanism at all or that common, cheap key-oil that runs like water...yes, they are loud and clackety and you can hear those dirty pads pop from across the room.

--James
Tom O'Farrell

Post by Tom O'Farrell »

Well maintained a boehm system flutes noise is always there but so slight as to not even be an issue. my breathing noises drown it out quite well, and as Andrew points out on-stage it's a non issue.
In the silence of my practice room and when playing pp (melodies) it can be more obvious but I just go oil the damn thing and blow out my pads if they have become too saturated from too much playing which makes them noisier, or just swap flutes.
Tom O'Farrell.
www.tomofarrell.ca
Flyingcursor
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: This is the first sentence. This is the second of the recommended sentences intended to thwart spam its. This is a third, bonus sentence!

Post by Flyingcursor »

I've been afraid to oil mine because I figure I'd mess it up.
What's the best way to clean pads? I use the cigarette paper trick after playing. Someone told me not to use dollar bills as it can tear the membrane over the pad. My flute is seven years old has been played a lot and in spite of fairly good cleaning habits it's getting so the pads stick horribly.
Is it time to get repadded or is there something else I can do?
I'm no longer trying a new posting paradigm
andrewK

Post by andrewK »

Use $ 100 bills. It may make you more careful. A new one for each hole. Send me the used ones for humane disposal.
peeplj

Post by peeplj »

To clean the pads the keys needs to be removed and the pad seat cleaned well with alcohol.

The pad itself can be gently cleaned with a cotton swab moistened with alcohol.

By the way, the best ways to avoid sticky, popping pads is to always rinse your mouth out with clear water before playing, especially if you've just eaten.

Also when applying key oil to the mechanism be careful to not get any on the pads, as it will also make them stick and will need to be cleaned off in the way described above.

--James