Unique Opportunity to acquire pipes

A forum about Uilleann (Irish) pipes and the surly people who play them.
glands
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by glands »

Every "student" needs a D chanter for lessons and sessions. That's why I wanna keep it. Otherwise you'll hear me playing C in group lessons with those of you in D. On the other hand, Skip Cleavinger and I study in C and Kevin Rowsome gave me my last lesson in C....... I'd consider selling the chanter with the set only for an added $2000....it is worth that much, probably more, to me to keep it.

The photo was taken whilst painting and reflects consternation of painting in the bright light of that particular day.

Nah...whomever gets this set is free to keep 'em...no strings attached. It would be a loan with pipes as collateral if I sold them with a right to buy them back....I would not do that to my fellow man.
Last edited by glands on Thu Feb 10, 2005 2:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Davey

by the way...

Post by Davey »

...have you remembered to apologize to the wife for the things you THOUGHT about her and the insinuations of blame etc. in your original post? :D

She can't have run out of the brownie points she earned for buying you that W. Rowsome set!?
Steampacket

Post by Steampacket »

"Am I on my own in thinking that $7250 is outrageous money for a delrin set of drones with 2 ebony regulators.
I'll take my hat off to you if you can manage to convince someone to pay this price." Mark B

No you're not on your own in thinking that. Even with the chanter it's not worth it. K & Q pipes aren't that good 8). I've heard Brian McNamara's set live, and yes, it sounds nice, but then so does Mick O'Brian's Froment set, Mick Coyne's O'Briain, Jarleth Henderson's Williams' set, Leo Rickard's Thompson set and a host of other D sets
Joseph E. Smith
antispam: No

Post by Joseph E. Smith »

Steampacket wrote:"Am I on my own in thinking that $7250 is outrageous money for a delrin set of drones with 2 ebony regulators.
I'll take my hat off to you if you can manage to convince someone to pay this price." Mark B

No you're not on your own in thinking that. Even with the chanter it's not worth it. K & Q pipes aren't that good 8). I've heard Brian McNamara's set live, and yes, it sounds nice, but then so does Mick O'Brian's Froment set, Mick Coyne's O'Briain, Jarleth Henderson's Williams' set, Leo Rickard's Thompson set and a host of other D sets
Though it is a good sized chunk of change, $7250 for Dr. Blevins' K&Q set is worth the price IMHO. If the price is too high for some to justify their purchase, then these folks need not buy them.

I honestly do not see why there should be any discussion on the matter of price being what it is. Purchasing this set is actually making an investment as this set will no doubt increase in value over time. If one can't afford it, quit yer whinin' an' buy something else. Simple as that. :roll:
Steampacket

Post by Steampacket »

"I honestly do not see why there should be any discussion on the matter of price being what it is. Purchasing this set is actually making an investment as this set will no doubt increase in value over time. If one can't afford it, quit yer whinin' an' buy something else. Simple as that. " J.S.

Hmmm... well as they say, "A fool and his money are soon soon parted" :o If someone's daft enough to spend that much for some drones and regs then so be it, rock on :lol:
Mark Byrne

Post by Mark Byrne »

glands wrote:I'd consider selling the chanter with the set only for an added $2000
Ok so now you can get a 6 year old three quarter set with plastic drones for $9250. One born every minute if you secure this price.
Joseph E. Smith

Post by Joseph E. Smith »

....whatever, suit yourselves. :roll:
Paul Reid

Post by Paul Reid »

Steampacket wrote:"K & Q pipes aren't that good 8).

Who's the fool?
PR

c[]|________||___o__o__O___o__O__º__º__||_]
      \\
Tony
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I used to play pipes about 20 years ago and suddenly abducted by aliens.
Not sure why... but it's 2022 and I'm mysteriously baack...

Post by Tony »

For comparison: Gallagher lists the price of a full set in ebony/sterling silver at $7,250.
Steampacket

Post by Steampacket »

"Who's the fool?" P.R.

The would be purchaser perchance?

I don't agree that a set of K&Q drones & 2 regs are that good they warrant a price tag of 7250 USD. However I do realise that someone gagging for a set of drones & regs may be more than willing and happy to pay such an amount. Fair enough - rock on :boggle:
glands

Post by glands »

K & Q pipes aren't that good .

Everyone is entitled to his or her opinion.....no matter how outrageous and off the mark it might be. If they weren't, how in the world would we be able to sort out those with seemingly poor judgement?

Pipes are worth what folks will pay for them. They are priceless to me, really, but I had to set a price and take into account the cost of the set, additional reeds, inflation index (approx $850 added since I bought them...yes, I calculated) and also look at the value of sets they make now, with an eye towards simple economics....supply is very very low and demand is high....at least it is in this country.

Whomever ends up with this set will cherish it for a long long time.

The fact that it will probably NEVER EVER need reeds again is in itself worth a couple of bucks in time and money. How many of you can say that about your very own sets?
Tony
Tell us something.: I used to play pipes about 20 years ago and suddenly abducted by aliens.
Not sure why... but it's 2022 and I'm mysteriously baack...

Post by Tony »

glands wrote:....Whomever ends up with this set will cherish it for a long long time....
Or at least until their significant other wipes-out the garage door!

Sorry glands, you have to see some humor it this.
:lol:
PJ
Tell us something.: ......................................................................................................

Post by PJ »

glands wrote:Pipes are worth what folks will pay for them.
I think Glands hits the nail on the head here. Ever since K&Q stopped taking orders, their pipes have, rightly or wrongly, acquired mythic status. Anyone lucky enough to have a set of K&Q pipes are laughing (Mr. D'Arcy, for instance). The fewer of them out there, the more soughtafter they become.

I've not heard K&Q pipes live (at least to my knowledge) but when it comes down to the sound quality, something tells me that the individual player has a little to do with it. Owning a K&Q full set will not make you a better player, although it may make you feel better about yourself.

Good luck with the sale, Glands. I hope you get a good price. To the future buyer, I hope you're happy with what you pay and I hope that the pipes encourage you to play more and better. That's what it should be about, at the end of the day.
benwalker

Post by benwalker »

for the best part you get what you pay for. My froment set was an awful lot of money but what a set it has turned out to be!
glands

Post by glands »

Owning a K&Q full set will not make you a better player
I disagree with this statement. Better pipes do indeed make one a better player. There is so much to say about this but I just had a patient show and gotta run deliver some sound advice in an area where I'm most definitely qualified to do so.